French Fridays with Dorie: Clafoutis

Dorie Greenspan clafoutis Around my French Table French Fridays with Dorie eatlivetravelwrite.com

It seems fitting that I am writing about clafoutis – this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (whole-cherry clafoutis, p 452) from Camont in Gascony, home of the fabulous Kate Hill – where I watched as she prepared the most amazing peach clafoutis exactly a year ago.

I’d never really been into clafoutis until last summer and now it’s more or less a staple (both sweet and savoury) in my kitchen. I love the versatility of the dish and especially with a sweet version, you can just add whatever fruits you like and/ or are in season. And of course, it wouldn’t be a Friday with Dorie unless there was some veering off the recipe, right? So when Dorie’s recipe called for “whole cherries”, I looked around at my fruit the day before I left for Paris and noticed that whilst I didn’t have any cherries, I did have plums and raspberries which I thought would work a treat in this dish. And they did.

There’s not really much to say about this – it’s good. It’s good warm, right after it’s baked. It’s good later on at room temperature. It’s good the next day for breakfast.

clafoutis with plums and raspberries on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I mean, fruit, eggs, flour, sugar, milk and cream – how can you go wrong. And yes. it’s totally a breakfast food – dairy and fruit, right?

Dorie Greenspan clafoutis Around my French Table French Fridays with Dorie by eatlivetravelwrite.com

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Did you read my blog in your Google Reader? Did you know that Google Reader is longer as of July 1st? What to do? Well you can follow my blog with bloglovin! (and all your other favourites too!) or for a few other suggestions for RSS readers to replace Google Reader, read my post.

* Congrats to Krisha who won my SodaStream giveaway! I’ll be in touch for your details!

Did you know I’m in France right now?

Follow my Summer 2013 Flickr set or

, , , , , , ,

15 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Clafoutis

1. Cher July 12, 2013 at 07:34 #

I would love to try the breakfast the next day theory, but it never seems to last that long in my house.

I think I have given up on the idea that I am going to follow any FF recipe. That ship has left the dock :-)

Plums & berries = great idea.

2. Liz July 12, 2013 at 07:39 #

LOVE your tweaks..plums and raspberries sound DELISH!

3. Coco in the Kitchen July 12, 2013 at 13:14 #

Should’ve named our daughter “Clafouti.”
    She’s as sweet!

4. Cakelaw July 12, 2013 at 17:50 #

Oooh, plums and raspberries would be marvellous. I like custard, so this dish was for me.

5. Nana July 12, 2013 at 19:09 #

Hubby loved it warm, room temperature, and cold the next day. Good thing, cause I’m not touching those little blue berries. Seriously, this was so simple and I’m planning on a plum
    clafoutis real soon. So sorry Tricia and I could not make Paris work for all of us, but maybe
    next time. We enjoyed Sunday morning at Angelina’s for brunch and a stroll through the
    Louvre for a bit of shopping. Have a happy weekend.

6. Diane Balch July 12, 2013 at 19:28 #

Seems to be a lot of raspsberries around this week. I didn’t think about how wonderful this is for breakfast. Would be great at a brunch too. Great idea.

7. Amanda July 12, 2013 at 19:36 #

Nice one – I love clafoutis (I’m lazy & they are quick to make) and have made it with plums in summers past. I’d never use raspberries though – not at the price of them around here!

8. Tanusree July 13, 2013 at 04:44 #

Plums and rasberries seem like a nice variation. certainly a nice breakfast recipe !

9. Teresa July 13, 2013 at 19:09 #

I heartily agree that it makes a wonderful breakfast and they cherry version certainly brings you to a state of alertness, making sure not to chomp on any of the pits. I love your version – it’s better to use up the lovely fruit on hand than it is to run out and buy another sort.

10. yummychunklet July 13, 2013 at 19:26 #

Love the whole slices of fruit. And great idea eating it for breakfast!

11. Alice July 14, 2013 at 01:39 #

it is seriously a breakfast food! and a great one for company :) This is a total make-again-and-again for our house!

12. Christy July 14, 2013 at 12:05 #

Yes, definitely a breakfast food! It does have eggs for protein, and fruit. I like the combo of peach-raspberry – a Peach Melba Clafoutis with a belline would make a terrific breakfast!

13. Lola July 14, 2013 at 13:47 #

It is absolutely a breakfast food!

14. KarenP July 15, 2013 at 14:05 #

Yours looks delicious! But my mind is clinging to your description of that peach clafoutis. I see one of those in my future for sure!

15. Betsy July 19, 2013 at 21:43 #

Just catching up from last week. Yup, good for any time of day. I’ll try this with other fruit, so far, I just did cherries.