French Fridays with Dorie: Back-of-the-card cheese and olive bread

Back-of-the-card cheese & olive bread from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I love recipes that can be put together in about 15 minutes, helpful for when you realise you’ve made the wrong Dorie recipe this week and you have only a few hours of sunlight left to get the correct recipe made and photographed in time!  This “bread” (though it’s more like a savoury pound cake) was easily whipped up, then put in the oven to be forgotten about as I cleaned up the kitchen, until the delicious aroma of cheese and olives wafted through the house around 45 minutes later… Such was the case for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (“Back of the Card” cheese and olive bread, p 33)

Dorie Greenspan Back of the Card Cheese and Olive Bread on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I mean, it looks like a cake, right? Its appearance is definitely deceiving…  One of my colleagues thought the white bits were marshmallows and the dark bits chocolate chunks. Now that would have been nice too, but this is one surprising, unassuming bread/ cake.  It’s a recipe that was originally found on the back of a card (hence the name) produced by the Comté cheesemakers’ association and distributed to fromageries all over France that Dorie took and made her own.

French Fridays with Dorie Back-of-the-card cheese & olive bread on earlivetravelwrite.com

The original recipe sounds like it contained cheese, olives and diced ham cubes which would also have been fabulous; however Dorie added tapenade which, even though it was sitting out on my countertop as I made this, somehow didn’t make it’s way into my loaf.

Back-of-the-card cheese & olive bread in Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I used 1/2 olives, 1/2 sun-dried tomatoes for some visual interest (though the tomatoes were more orange than the red I had hoped for) and, well, as you can see, I used small cubes of goat cheese instead of Comté.  So my bread turned out like multiple apéritif snacks (cheese, olives, tomatoes) all rolled into one convenient package, easy to slice and eat!  Dorie suggests cutting this into thin fingers for elegant serving (I think cubes would be great!) at apéro time, however I can see this being a great light lunch with a tossed green salad. Or even, toasted slices cut up into cubes and put IN a salad. The possibilities really are endless – both in terms of serving suggestions as well as the add-ins you can mix and match according to what you like.

Dorie Greenspan's Back-of-the-card cheese & olive bread from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I really enjoyed this one as did my colleagues who sampled this the next day – I was worried it would have dried out but it was fine. I offered the suggestion that it was “better with a glass of wine” but since we were enjoying it for a Monday morning snack, we all had to use our powers of imagination. Even sans wine, it was a wonderful snack and a nice change from the sweet snacks that often populate the staff room table.  I’ll be remembering this again when I am short on time and need a quick snack for drinks or pre-dinner. Nice one Dorie!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Do you read my blog in your Google Reader? Did you know that Google Reader will be no longer as of July 1st? What to do? Well you can follow my blog with bloglovin! (and all your other favourites too!)

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Back-of-the-card cheese and olive bread

1. Cher June 14, 2013 at 07:39 #

So what recipe did you make for this week :-)
    This really was an enjoyable bread and because of all the flavors, it didn’t need a lot of accompaniment. (I liked the crusty cheese bit on top – it was the best part of the bread)

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes June 14, 2013 at 07:45 #

This would make great croutons, it´s true Mardi. I think adding sun dried tomatoes and not tapenade was a smart move. I changed it a lot, so it didn´t even rise as much. It does look like cake! Good weekend!

3. kitchen therapy June 14, 2013 at 08:09 #

Your bread looks fantastic!
    Not my favourite recipe though. I prefer this type of cake to be sweet!

4. Cakelaw June 14, 2013 at 08:39 #

Your sun dried tomato/goats cheese subs sound fabulous! I liked this and it seemed to go down well at work too.

5. Colette @ JFF! June 14, 2013 at 12:49 #

A slice or two with a nice cup of Earl Grey and breakfast is ready!

6. Rose June 14, 2013 at 13:16 #

Goat cheese, yummy. I used comte, but next time I think I’ll go with a mix of cheeses.

7. Liz June 14, 2013 at 14:33 #

Glad your co-workers enjoyed this one, too! I bet I would have lovedthe olive and sun dried tomato mix that you tried :)

8. Mary Hirsch June 14, 2013 at 23:20 #

I’m with Cher. What did you make this week? Never mind. We’ll find out eventually. Glad you did get this recipe made and your version looks very, very tasty. I would have thought the goat cheese would melt into nothingness. What I especially liked about this bread was not only that it was quick, with a tasty result, but the bumpy topping just looks all crisp and crunchy. I think we’ll all make this again – trying different flavors and ingredients. Sun-dried tomatoes, for sure.

9. Diane Balch June 15, 2013 at 10:18 #

I didn’t realize the original recipe had ham in it.. I would have liked that, even salami would have been good,,, really would have made it a meal. Yours looks lovely, great golden brown crust.

10. KarenP June 15, 2013 at 11:46 #

It looks lovely for something whipped up at the last minute! Actually, mine was last minute too (so last minute it hasn’t bee blogged about yet). Funny your coworker mentioned marshmallows – I thought it looked like that too even though I was certain you wouldn’t put them in a savory cheese bread!

11. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks June 15, 2013 at 17:20 #

The possibilities are endless with this bread/cake you are so right! Goat cheese and sundried tomatoes…. dully noted for implementation next time around!!!

12. Betsy June 15, 2013 at 18:22 #

You’re so right that is like a savory pound cake. I used half sun-dried tomatoes too and liked the contrast with the saltier olives. I served it along some gazpacho which worked well. Your loaf looks so wonderfully colorful.

13. Alice June 16, 2013 at 02:02 #

I hope the sundried tomatoes added something more than just “visual interest!”

14. Trevor Sis. Boom. June 16, 2013 at 12:39 #

Yeah, I want to know what you made too! lol. I think I want to do this with ham and sautéed onions. Loaf Lorainne I guess…next time. But really, nothing in my fridge will be safe from this one.

15. yummychunklet June 16, 2013 at 16:44 #

Great looking loaf!

16. Idiosyncratic Eye July 4, 2013 at 18:32 #

It looks yummy and an ideal recipe to have up one’s sleeve when there’s no bread in the house! :)