French Fridays with Dorie: Goat cheese & strawberry tartine

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine vin cotto from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie Mardi MIchels eatlivetravelwrite.com

I have to admit, I’m loving these easy French Fridays with Dorie “recipes” lately. Cases in point – last week’s pistachio-avocado, the week before’s asparagus soup and this week’s “tartine” (p 44).  It’s crazy month for teachers (this is my last Friday of the school year – and it’s not even a full day – yay!) so the “non cooking” is much much appreciated. Last weekend I was at TBEX (the world’s largest gathering of travel bloggers) and was only home very briefly to feed Cleo and water the tomatoes so this was the perfect little snack to tide me over until I got to the party food!

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie Mardi MIchels eatlivetravelwrite.com

The recipe calls for baguette, spreadable goat’s cheese, strawberries and balsamic vinegar but I enjoyed these first off with no balsamic because, well, I was too hungry and started eating these as I watered the tomatoes right after I took these pics…

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie by Mardi MIchels eatlivetravelwrite.com

I tweeted how delicious this was and Dorie herself tweeted back that I should try this with “Saba” (a reduction of grape must).

As I contemplated this, I finished the tartines and made a mental note that I needed to make these again with something along the lines of Saba.

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie Mardi MIchels eatlivetravelwrite.com

Well I didn’t have Saba but I did have “Vin Cotto” on hand…

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie Mardi MIchels at eatlivetravelwrite.com

Vin cotto (literally “cooked wine”) according to Wikipedia is “a dark, sweet dense condiment produced artisanally in the Apulia region of southeastern Italy. It is made by the slow cooking and reduction over many hours of non-fermented grape must until it has been reduced to about one fifth of its original volume and the sugars present have caramelized. It can be made from a number of varieties of local red wine grapes including Primitivo, Negroamaro and Malvasia Nera, collected after being allowed to wither naturally on the vine for about 30 days.” This website calls vincotto “the ancient version of balsamic vinegar”. Interesting…

Well all right then! I just happened to have some and it sounded like it might be the perfect match for this dish.

Dorie Greenspan goat cheese and strawberry tartine with vin cotto from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie Mardi MIchels eatlivetravelwrite.com

And oh, boy, was Dorie ever right! As well as being fabulous on the toasted baguette, this was great just drizzled over a bowl of strawberries and a little crumbled goat’s cheese.  I ended up with a tiny amount of each left over and it was perfect with a glass of wine as a pre-party, pre-dinner snack! This is a combo I will remember and make again and again!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Win a copy of Jennifer Perillo’s Homemade with Love (two copies available, worldwide!) Contest closes Tuesday June 11th 2013 at 6pm EST. Enter here!

Do you read my blog in your Google Reader? Did you know that Google Reader will be no longer as of July 1st? What to do? Well you can follow my blog with bloglovin! (and all your other favourites too!)

, , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Goat cheese & strawberry tartine

1. Liz June 7, 2013 at 07:04 #

Love that you got Dorie’s input! Another non-recipe winner!!!

2. Candy June 7, 2013 at 07:58 #

I thought these were wonderful too. I used a balsamic glaze. Oh, and some had a little pistachio oil too… delightful.

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes June 7, 2013 at 08:41 #

Never heard of Saba, but will try to hunt it down. And I have to wait until strawberries are sweet, this is no good with tart ones. An absolute winner, this tartine!

4. Cher June 7, 2013 at 08:52 #

Yep – this is a great combo. I tried it first in a salad THEN tried it as a tartine. It’s a winner no matter what you do with it.
    I have seen the grape must condiment in a specialty shop in Saratoga – I think I will have to give it more consideration.

5. Trevor Sis. Boom. June 7, 2013 at 10:54 #

Love the vin cotto idea! Great thinking!

6. Kablooey June 7, 2013 at 13:10 #

This sounds delicious, but more than that: the pictures make me salivate. Sorry if that’s not a savory image, but it’s really your fault for taking such GORGEOUS pictures. (Still, no one said I had to over-share. OK, my fault.) Yum.

7. Diane Balch June 7, 2013 at 14:42 #

Grappa is more fun than saba… I assure you.

8. Cakelaw June 7, 2013 at 17:29 #

It looks great Mardi, and how cool that Dorie tweeted you. I loved this.

9. yummychunklet June 7, 2013 at 21:13 #

How delicious! Your strawberries look so juicy!

10. Teresa June 7, 2013 at 21:26 #

I enjoyed this with an aged balsamic, but your vin cotto version looks even more delicious. Glad you’re almost at the end of the school year – here’s to summer!

11. Rose June 8, 2013 at 08:33 #

Interesting. Never heard of Saba before but now I’ll have to keep an eye out for it. And I’m loving these non-recipes too.

12. gaaarp June 8, 2013 at 09:17 #

I used a fig balsamic reduction, and it was great, too. Such an easy and adaptable recipe.

13. Tricia S. June 9, 2013 at 08:03 #

How cool was this that Dorie tweeted you :) I had to laugh as you put “Dorie herself” as she has that type of reference in our household as well…kind of like the Queen just called or something. I had not heard of Saba before but will now be hunting it down. What a fun adventure…and good luck with your year end school activities !

14. Marlene June 9, 2013 at 12:51 #

So beautiful, so simple, so good.

15. Mary Hirsch June 9, 2013 at 21:46 #

Wow, Mardi, I saw your exchange with Dorie come through on my Twitter feed and was all excited for you. Saba/Vin Cotto, never heard of either so I am happy for the education provided on your Post this week. Your tartines just kept looking better and better. I know this has been a busy month for you. Remembering also that Trevor and I crowned you the Queen of Canada. Funny how we Americans can just snap our fingers and make that happen. I know you’ve had a good year but I also know you are looking forward to the Suimmer and some fun times ahead.

16. Kim Beaulieu June 9, 2013 at 21:48 #

Oh my gosh Mardi, this is spectacular. I am speechless, and you know that never happens. lol

17. Betsy June 11, 2013 at 21:09 #

Perfect snack, or dinner, or breakfast. So many possibilities! Definitely a great idea from Dorie.

18. Alice June 17, 2013 at 13:35 #

wow. saba?? I dont think I’ve heard of it before! your baguettes have got me thinking about making my own bread again… hmmm…

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 17, 2013 at 15:11 #

Ohh, this is a good idea! I am all for simple recipes these days. I happen to have some cranberry goat cheese in the fridge that is just slightly sweet. I think it’d be perfect for an afternoon snack.