French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy Mushroom & Eggs

French Fridays with Dorie creamy mushrooms & eggs Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Creamy Mushrooms and Eggs, p 163) is my idea of heaven. It’s ostensibly a breakfast dish but one I would love to eat for any meal, actually. A little shallot, sauteed in a bit of butter prepares the way for mushrooms (I used maitake, button and crimini) which are sautéed until tender then joined by cream in the skillet, then rosemary and, surprisingly, mint. It’s an odd combination for sure but it really works.

creamy mushrooms & eggs Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table French Fridays with Dorie

I reduced my cream sauce right down so there was very little liquid remaining – I didn’t want my toast to go soggy!  I didn’t make my own bread for this, though I would have liked to – no time.  I used a store-bought raisin and cranberry bread which was lovely with this dish – the fruity flavours paired well with the bright mint and earthy rosemary.  And on top? A soft-boiled egg. Boiled for six minutes exactly then removed from the water and plunged in cold water until it’s ready to be used. Works every time.

Next time I might make a poached egg to go with this – the extra creaminess of the softer yolk would work well mixed into the mushrooms.  And for sure there WILL be a next time. So, so simple. So, so good.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though you can find this week’s recipe online here) – we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Did you know – it’s Food Revolution Day on Friday May 17th? Find out how you can get involved and Cook it. Share it. Live it. for #FRD2013 in this post.

French Fridays with Dorie is participating in Food Revolution Day 2013. See all the details here.

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy Mushroom & Eggs

1. Cate EC May 3, 2013 at 06:01 #

This looks so good. I definitely think a poached egg would work well. Ahhh this is making me hungry!

2. Liz May 3, 2013 at 06:20 #

Gorgeous! And I’m glad I wasn’t the only one tweaking the eggs :) Happy French Friday!

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen May 3, 2013 at 07:33 #

A soft boiled would´ve been the perfect solution, if I had thought of it…jaja
    Mardi, I love your mix of mushrooms and the combination of a sweet touch with raisin bread. Very clever! Have a great weekend!

4. Cher May 3, 2013 at 08:23 #

Soft boiled eggs are nice, but I can never get the stinking shells off :-(
    This was a perfect dish, wasn’t it?

5. Mr. Neil May 3, 2013 at 09:42 #

This was a lovely little dish.

BUT – and this is slightly amusing – the one thing at the time I thought I would do differently, is replace the bread! I actually found the fruity flavours jarring, and too much of a contrast. They didn’t pair well at all for me.

So I enjoyed it, but would have enjoyed even more with a rye or pumpernickel.

This was lunch, so no wine pairing. :-) However a Pinot Gris comes to mind…

6. Trevor Sis. Boom. May 3, 2013 at 10:19 #

I went your direction as well and went with soft boiled. So easy, always perfect, and no fuss. I think I will post on them for food revolution now that i think about it. Beautiful shot!

7. yummychunklet May 3, 2013 at 12:10 #

Looks delicious! Love your photos.

8. Kathy May 3, 2013 at 15:02 #

Looks wonderful! This is a keeper in my house…it was delicious! Lovely photos!

9. Diane Balch May 3, 2013 at 15:22 #

I agree the rosemary and mint seemed odd to me but I went with it and was surprised by how well it worked. I used an over easy egg… I think any runny egg works for this recipe.

10. Colette @ JFF! May 3, 2013 at 16:08 #

I’m w you – this would be great for dinner tonight.

The raisin/cranberry bread is a very interesting idea.

11. Nana May 3, 2013 at 17:20 #

Lovely, the soft boiled egg looks so perfect. I think this was a winner with everyone. I love
    breakfast any time of the day.

12. Anne Marie May 3, 2013 at 17:39 #

I was thinking that it would be great over rice. Have to try your egg recipe.

13. Cakelaw May 3, 2013 at 21:51 #

I think your eggs and mushies look fab. I like sweet and savoury together, so the fruit brwad sounds like a nice touch.

14. Such a great breakfast, Mardi!

15. Betsy May 4, 2013 at 20:38 #

Yes, this one is good for any meal. I think it’s the mushroom sauce that’s the star, and however the egg is cooked, it will go perfectly. Raisin bread toast? Yum!

16. Teresa May 5, 2013 at 00:10 #

The egg looks absolutely perfect against the mushrooms. I also like that you left the stems on your mushrooms – it looks much prettier than the caps alone.

17. Lynn May 5, 2013 at 02:17 #

I like that you added some greens!
    And yes, I would try it with poached eggs the next time.
    This is certainly a winner!

18. Mushrooms Canada May 6, 2013 at 11:12 #

This sounds amazing! So many mushrooms in one dish, how could you go wrong?! Thanks for sharing, this is one I’ll certainly be making at home.

-Shannon

19. Tricia S. May 6, 2013 at 21:33 #

My guys really enjoyed this as well. They are poached egg fans and up for mushrooms at any time so the combo was a big hit. Fun choice of bread- so nice to know it worked out well with all the flavors. And thank you for the sweet comments on Nana and my cancelled trip. Much appreciated~

20. Candy (Dulce) May 7, 2013 at 22:18 #

Your dish looks fabulous. I love the idea of the raisin cranberry bread – I bet the combination was wonderful. I loved this dish, but now I’m inspired to use the mint. I just used chives – and truffle salt!

21. La Torontoise May 8, 2013 at 19:02 #

Did this today, with a poached egg; was a great experience! Thank you so much!