French Fridays with Dorie: Swiss chard pancakes

Dorie Greenspan swiss chard pancakes from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie by eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Swiss Chard Pancakes, p 350) was one I might have passed by had it not been on the “to cook” list this month. I’m glad I made them because finally I have a great way to disguise the bitter taste of chard which I am not a fan of and which I am always looking to use up – it’s one of those vegetables which is always in our organic delivery and I never know what to do with it.

Dorie Greenspan Swiss Chard pancakes French Fridays with Dorie Around my French Table by eatlivetravelwrite.com

These are simple pancakes with some chives and swiss chard mixed in at the last minute which I made individual sized to eat with a dollop of Greek yoghurt for a quick lunch.  I also served these as a side for last week’s cod and spinach roulade – a pairing which Neil proclaimed “odd but tasty” – so not completely off ;)

Will I make these again? Most likely – it’s a fab way to use up chard (and spinach for that matter). Perfect for breakfast, light lunch or dinner – or even a side dish.

Around my French Table French Fridays with Dorie swiss chard pancakes by eatlivetravelwrite.com

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs – we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Did you know – it’s Food Revolution Day on Friday May 17th? Find out how you can get involved and Cook it. Share it. Live it. for #FRD2013 in this post.

French Fridays with Dorie is participating in Food Revolution Day 2013. See all the details here.

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Swiss chard pancakes

1. Cher April 26, 2013 at 06:47 #

We had these with the roulade also :-)
    Now that CSA season is almost here, I can just see these as a great way to use up the abundance of pesky, but good for you, greens…

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen April 26, 2013 at 08:04 #

My feelings too Mardi. Swiss chard is not a great memory from my childhood, but I really liked these. Have a great weekend!

3. Mr. Neil April 26, 2013 at 08:12 #

Well it was the pairing that was odd – not the dish itself. Then again, I’m used the the occasional “blog food” meal, that is a construct of several “must post soon” items thrown into one meal. ;-)

I liked these.

I believe we paired with a local Chardonnay. Fairly innocuous.

4. Mary Hirsch April 26, 2013 at 08:25 #

I threw a spinach and chard dish together for this meal also – took care of the veggies all in one sitting. Yours look lovely and, agreed, the chard is disguised well, especially if creme fraiche, sour cream or yogurt is the topping. My chard leaves were huge and since I couldn’t bear to throw any away, I just doubled down and tossed the extra leaves into the batter. Glad I love the color green.

5. Anne Marie April 26, 2013 at 09:03 #

I could eat swiss chard any day, don’t get me started on brussell sprouts.

6. Liz April 26, 2013 at 12:46 #

So glad both you and Mr. Neil enjoyed. I didn’t even offer to Bill :)

• Mr. Neil April 27, 2013 at 17:01 #

ELTW payments are required to Mr. Neil, in the form of food. Even the LPC boys know that…. ;-)

7. yummychunklet April 26, 2013 at 13:38 #

I’m already thinking what i’m going to post on the 17th!

8. Teresa April 26, 2013 at 13:47 #

Kevin was not a fan of these, but i quite liked them. Yours are so pretty on the plate!

9. Sara April 26, 2013 at 14:24 #

They were an interesting dish, that’s for sure. I made mine with spinach, and that worked out really well. Definitely something I would make again! Yours look wonderful! Nice job!

10. Cakelaw April 26, 2013 at 18:04 #

I am glad that you liked these and now have a great way to use Swiss chard.

11. Diane Balch April 26, 2013 at 20:03 #

Yes, I see this recipe as a great way to use up greens and especially if you don’t like them… I’m a bitter green lover, have you ever sautéed chard in olive oil with onions and a little stock. It is definitely less bitter when it has some broth.

12. Betsy April 27, 2013 at 21:22 #

Served with Greek yogurt sounds interesting. I found these rather blah. Mis not sure why because I love any kind of greens, bitter or otherwise.

13. Louisa [Living Lou] May 1, 2013 at 20:52 #

I’m a huge fan of Swiss chard, but usually, I just eat it with a little tomato sauce. I’ve had this beautiful cookbook for a while but seem to have missed this recipe, I’m definitely going to give it a try next time I have Swiss chard. Thanks for the inspiration, Mardi!