French Fridays with Dorie: Financiers

French Fridays with Dorie financiers Around my French Table Dorie GreenspanThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Financiers, p 454) is a recipe I’ll use again and again – it’s so easy, tastes good and looks good. I mean really, what more could you ask of a dainty French treat?

DOrie Greenspan financiers French Fridays with Dorie Around my French Table

I don’t have friand pans (what IS the matter with me? Fortunately I’m spending the summer in Paris again and can envisage exactly where to go in E. Dehillerin to find one…. Ahem…) but I baked these up in small cupcake liners and they were perfect – a one bite treat that I added one raspberry and a couple of slivers of almonds to (you can see how small they are from how much room the raspberry takes up…) for some visual and textural appeal.

Around my French Table financiers Dorie Greenspan French Fridays with DorieThese little cakes are made with butter (I made browned butter as per Dorie’s instructions), sugar, egg whites, almond flour and a little regular flour, these are simple to whip up and the batter rests in the fridge for 1 hour to up to a day. It was pretty thick after a night in the fridge so I piped my mixture into the cupcake liners. I added the fruit and almonds but you can serve them plain too.

Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table financiers for French Fridays with Dorie

Perfect with a morning or afternoon coffee – not too sweet and just right in size :) These go on my list of  “the staffroom would love them” treats ;)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though a version of this week’s recipe can be found online here); we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Congratulations to Sarah who won my Pati’s Mexican Table giveaway! I’ll be in touch!

Cool stuff:

1. I wrote an article for the Jamie Oliver website this week talking about my passion teaching kids to cook.

2. This weekend, I am proud to be putting on a national food blogging conference with my Food Bloggers of Canada colleagues, Ethan and Melissa. We’ve been thinking about a conference for Canadian food bloggers (the very first!) ever since we first talked about FBC together in May 2011 and now, a little over 18 months after FBC launched in September 2011, it’s a reality! Check out the speakers (I am one of them!), sponsors and follow along on Twitter with the #FBC2013 hashtag this weekend – I am sure it will be a lot of learning, food and fun!

, , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Financiers

1. Liz April 12, 2013 at 06:20 #

Just beautiful, Mardi! Love the look of the upside down raspberry ( making mental note to try that :)).

2. Cher April 12, 2013 at 06:55 #

So pretty, Mardi :-)

I am having writer’s block, so hopefully will post later today… After staring at a draft for an hour last night, I gave up…

Have a great time with the conference.I know you’ve put a lot of work into that one. So awesome!

3. Mary Hirsch April 12, 2013 at 08:15 #

You and I went the mini-muffin route with raspberries. Yours look darling with their little paper skirts. Perhaps E. Dehillerin should be a stop for me also next month. I hadn’t made beurre noisette for a long time so was glad to be reminded how much complexity it adds to a recipe. I know you’ve worked like crazy to pull off this “first” so will be thinking of you during this upcoming successful week-end. I have really, really, really admired Jamie Oliver ever since I listened to his Ted talk – even have his latest cookbook. Verrrryyyy British.

4. Anne Marie April 12, 2013 at 09:35 #

I didn’t think of the piping idea. I struggled getting the batter into the pan.

5. Diane Balch April 12, 2013 at 09:48 #

Interesting about how thick it gets in the fridge. I didn’t chill my batter… curious. Love your touch of confectionary sugar.. they make think of a light Spring snow.

6. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen April 12, 2013 at 10:02 #

These are good in any shape. They look adorable Mardi! I made them in mini muffin molds without the liners, but next time I will use them, it makes it so easy to clean! Have a wonderful weekend!

7. Patty April 12, 2013 at 11:45 #

Beautiful financiers-love the mini white liners and the pop of red color from the raspberries!
    Good luck with your conference this weekend;-)

8. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen April 12, 2013 at 13:12 #

These look so cute, I love the look of the raspberries peeking out! They sound delicious too!

9. Maggie April 12, 2013 at 14:05 #

Beautiful little cakes Mardi! I especially love the last shot! Have fun this weekend!

10. yummychunklet April 12, 2013 at 16:44 #

I love the little raspberries in the middle! Cute!

11. Trevor Sis. Boom. April 12, 2013 at 20:23 #

Have fun at the conference! I can’t believe how much time that must take. And here I thought I was too busy! Great job! I love these easy bite-sized treats so was glad I found the few minutes to make them…on time this week!

12. Ann April 13, 2013 at 10:44 #

This is one of my favorite sweets and yours are especially charming, Mardi! Love the addition of slivered almonds — I bet that added a lovely crunch.

13. Peggy April 13, 2013 at 12:04 #

OH my! I just returned from my first trip to France… accompanied by 40 high school students and 10 other adults. Can you say whirlwind? Exhaustion? Jet lag? Not enough room in luggage to bring back proper “souvenirs”? Yes, I do believe a little shopping is needed at home… to pick up this lovely recipe book. We are simply craving French baking… especially financiers & macarons. (i’ll leave pain aux chocolat to the professionals for now….)

Thank you for sharing and for your tips! (however i could cry because i accidentally left my lentilles de puy somewhere in france…. they are my favorite lentil! i’ve been told whole food carries them so we shall see…)

14. Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily April 13, 2013 at 20:29 #

This is my kind of dessert!

15. Betsy April 13, 2013 at 21:08 #

I love the slivers of almonds along side the raspberries. These are perfect for the staffroom, bite size and delicious. Hope the conference was all you hoped for.

16. Cakelaw April 14, 2013 at 07:23 #

These little berry financiers are adawbs! I have friand tins but thought they would be too hefty for these.

17. Heidi Feller April 14, 2013 at 09:11 #

Beautiful post, your photo makes me want to try the regular ones and add the almond sliver and raspberry too. Lucky you on spending the summer in Paris, perhaps you need an assistant?

18. Colette @ JFF! April 22, 2013 at 16:40 #

Cute li’l things with a serious name, no?