Miso mushroom noodle bowl for Mushrooms Canada

Regular readers of this site will know that over the holidays, I spent a couple of weeks in Burma and enjoyed some tasty food including wonderful Shan noodle bowls.  The noodle bowls are the inspiration for my first guest post for Mushrooms Canada this year – I created a Miso Mushroom Noodle Bowl. Looks good, huh?

Miso mushroom noodle bowl

It’s not a complicated dish – so quick and easy to prepare… Bonus? It only requires a few ingredients, making it perfect for a weeknight or a quick weekend lunch.

I’m all for an easy-to-prepare dish that helps bring a little exotic to the everyday  and if you are too, you can get the recipe for Miso Mushroom Noodle Bowls over on Mushrooms Canada.

* Canadians – did you enter my Green & Black’s chocolate giveaway yet? Closes Thursday, March 28th at 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , ,

17 Responses to Miso mushroom noodle bowl for Mushrooms Canada

1. idiosyncratic eye March 27, 2013 at 08:28 #

Looks delish! :)

2. Paula March 27, 2013 at 09:05 #

I’d have to make a trek into the city for the miso paste and soba noodles but it would definitely be worth the trip. My husband would really enjoy this!

3. christeen March 27, 2013 at 13:35 #

look so yummy! tummy teaser eh ;)

4. Colette from JFF! March 27, 2013 at 13:52 #

Love mushrooms & miso!

5. Geoff March 28, 2013 at 02:02 #

I have to say, you can “smell” this dish by just looking at the photograph.
    Really nice use of mushrooms, an excellent food.

6. Hamsamalini March 28, 2013 at 04:00 #

Tempting noodles. Love mushrooms with it

7. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz March 29, 2013 at 13:45 #

Looks really great Mardi, the miso with the mushroom is a great pairing. May have to try it over the weekend.

8. Vidar March 31, 2013 at 21:50 #

Looks fantastic, but a pet peeve of mine: When you write recipes including mushrooms, specify *wich* type of mushroom. I realize to most of the world “mushrooms” tend to be seen as generic-all-the-same, but they taste so different.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time picking different kinds, and even the small selection I learned to pick safely (a dozen or so different types) different in taste from a lime/citrus-y taste, like hazelnut, almond, peppery (there are many types of edible or semi-edible morels, and one of the most common is *very* spicy and slightly poisonous but can be used in limited quantities as a spice, and one of the nicest have a taste similar to almonds but look almost exactly like the spicy one – the common way of telling them apart is to scrape a tiny amount off with a finger and chew the raw one; if you got it wrong, your mouth is on fire… Happened quite often), to tastes that have few non-mushroom comparisons…

Even within one family, like Cantharellaceae (the most commonly known member is the gold chanterell), the differences in taste and texture are vast. And so are the types of foods they go with.

In fact, the one mushroom I detested growing up was the button / crimini / portobello (all the same mushroom, just different names and age when picked) mushroom which is most common. Never liked the taste. I find it ok now, but it is pretty much the only mushroom where I prefer it to be cooked so that the taste is masked (e.g. with spices) or mellowed.

• Mardi Michels March 31, 2013 at 21:57 #

Vidar, Thanks for your detailed comment – if you click through to the actual recipe on the Mushrooms Canada site, you can see that I DO specify *which* types of mushrooms to use.

• Vidar March 31, 2013 at 22:01 #

D’oh… I did actually click through but somehow managed to completely blank out that part. Clearly it’s time for bed for me – it’s 3am here.