French Fridays with Dorie: orange-scented lentil soup

I’ve really been enjoying soups lately as I pointed out in the post about the last Dorie Greenspan soup we made just a few weeks ago. This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (orange-scented lentil soup, p 90) was no exception. It was also something a little different to what I am used to making – I don’t often make lentil soup but this has made me re-evaluate that. Also – can I just say – ginger and orange is a fabulous combination – who knew?

orange scented lentil soup dorie greenspan around my french table french fridays with dorie

With onions, celery, carrots and lentils as the base, this soup combines wonderfully flavourful orange peel, coriander, cloves and ginger for a little hint of the exotic in what might otherwise be a drab, boring soup.

I doubled the ginger and added a little more orange peel than the recipe called for for a lovely spicy, cirtusy note that intensified even more after a couple of days in the fridge.

Topped with Greek yoghurt and some orange zest, this was the ultimate “feel good” soup for the winter – tasted bright and the ginger, for whatever reason, just makes you feel *better*.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs; we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (though you can find this week’s recipe online here) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , , ,

30 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: orange-scented lentil soup

1. Liz March 15, 2013 at 06:45 #

I loved this one, too! I like the idea of upping the ginger…magnificent, Mardi!

2. Cher March 15, 2013 at 06:54 #

The ginger really made this soup.I thought yogurt was a perfect topping for this.
    Beautiful

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 15, 2013 at 08:37 #

For me it was the coriander. I added some more and more orange too, and finally had a great soup. The yogurt is perfect Mardi! Lovely soup. Have a great weekend.

4. Anne Marie March 15, 2013 at 13:34 #

I will be putting ginger in more soups. I cannot believe how lovely your pictures are.

5. Carie March 15, 2013 at 14:08 #

Yes, I loved the bright flavors that the ginger and orange added. Your soup looks beautiful, which is saying a lot because this is not a pretty soup.

6. Diane Balch March 15, 2013 at 14:10 #

I think adding more orange was a great idea and it improved the color tremendously.

7. Mary Hirsch March 15, 2013 at 14:25 #

Your soup looks a little thicker than mine and I prefer thick ‘n chunky to thin ‘n chunky. Did you use more lentils as well as more spices? I always have a heavier hand than Dorie with the spices and flavorings and this week’s recipe was no exception. I liked it also and I’ve found, like all soups, it freezes well. I hope you are having some fun mixed in with your work in Manhattan.

• Mardi Michels April 26, 2013 at 20:13 #

Love thicker soups, yes! No more lentils, not sure why it was so thick but I liked it!

8. Sara March 15, 2013 at 22:03 #

Ginger is such a mood-lifter, and paired with orange, it certainly can work wonders! This could easily become a winter favorite in our house. I love the presentation of yours, with that dollop of yoghurt and the orange zest on top! I would have liked just a little more orange on mine; zest would have done the trick nicely. Lovely job!

9. Nana March 16, 2013 at 13:06 #

Your soup looks so delicious and the way you added the zest on top is so perfect with the dollop
    of yogurt. This was good, but I still like my lentils whole. Great idea for this cold weather and
    the end of winter. Have a great weekend.

10. Tammy March 16, 2013 at 19:17 #

Doubled the ginger? What a great idea! And for cold weather, that could warm you right up, too!

11. Betsy March 16, 2013 at 21:33 #

Are those jelly jars you are using for bowls? Whatever it is, it look very inviting. I do love soup this time of year, though honestly, this wasn’t my favorite recipe. Hope you had a good time in New York.

12. Kendra March 17, 2013 at 11:13 #

What a tasty soup this was! Hope you are having fun in New York!

13. yummychunklet March 17, 2013 at 17:13 #

Yours is the brightest looking lentil soup I’ve seen so far!

14. Barb Bamber March 17, 2013 at 20:58 #

I think your soup looks fantastic and I love the additional flavours, it definitely would be more interesting than the lentil soups I’ve tried! Lovely! xx

• Mardi Michels April 26, 2013 at 20:12 #

This was a nice change from traditional lentil soup.

15. Tricia S. March 17, 2013 at 21:04 #

Love love love your adding zest when serving- great presentation and I can imagine how yummy it tasted ! I am with you on enjoying all these soups lately – the perfect time of year indeed. Enjoy your time in the big Apple ~