French Fridays with Dorie: Coeur à la crème

Around my French Table, French Fridays with Dorie coeur a la creme

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (coeur à la crème, p 425) was one I’d been waiting to try. It’s a recipe I know very well – my mum used to make these when I was in my teens, for dinner parties (we entertained a LOT – must be where I get the love of it!) and my sister and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until we discovered the chocolate version.  In recent times, I’ve experimented with lightening the plain version up by using Greek yoghurt, with pleasing results. When you make it in the heart shaped mold (which I rarely do – usually I just use ramekins and if my sister is coming I will use a giant bowl because we figure it’s less cleanup i.e. one bowl and 2 spoons ;)) it makes for a gorgeous presentation making it look more complicated than it really is.

My mum’s original version uses cream cheese, cottage cheese or mascarpone, heavy cream, icing sugar, some caster sugar and vanilla essence. Dorie’s version uses only cream cheese, less sugar (I liked this) so it did not set as firmly as the ones I am used to (even after a couple of days in the fridge) – and later on, after making this and reading other Doristas’ feedback, I realise Dorie suggests that if you make one large heart (I always use little individual ones), you can slice it like a cake. Err… really? I don’t really care because I would never make a big one and the little ones are adorable on their own sans slicing but I did wonder about the consistency for that type of serving situation…

Definitely not “dip-like” as it turned out for some but also not slice-able.

In any case, definitely delicious. Served with puréed raspberries, it was perfect.

Dorie Greenspan coeur a la creme Around my French Table French Fridays with Dorie

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs; we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Coeur à la crème

1. Cher February 15, 2013 at 08:27 #

Totally dip like for me :-)
    I did like the flavors on this, so I am definitely going to have to play around with some other recipes.
    It looks lovely floating in the pool of raspberries.

2. Anne Marie February 15, 2013 at 08:43 #

I am intrigued with trying chocolate. Your little hearts look lovely. I made a large blob which I cut into pie shapes. They didn’t transition well to the plate but were still tasty.

3. Liz February 15, 2013 at 09:03 #

I MUST make your chocolate version!!! And I want to make your mum’s version, too…and in ramekins :)

4. Kendra February 15, 2013 at 09:22 #

I loved how easy this was to make! I used one large mold, but liked it so much I would invest in the individual molds!

5. idiosyncratic eye February 15, 2013 at 11:07 #

That’s a recipe that’s long fascinated me but I’ve never tried it! Maybe it looks just a little too complicated. ;)

6. Sara February 15, 2013 at 11:25 #

Beautiful! The small molds were plenty for just husband and me, and I think the small hearts do look rather adorable on their own. I’d never had this before, and I am completely in love with it. Yours looks so heavenly with that raspberry puree!

7. Tricia February 15, 2013 at 11:52 #

This was a new recipe for me though I had heard of the dessert before. Had i any idea how easy it was and how fabulous it tasted…..I would have started making this years ago !!! And I love the idea of one big bowl, 2 spoons. Next time I am going with your bed of red coulis – gorgeous presentation !!

8. Carie February 15, 2013 at 12:44 #

Yum! A chocolate version sound really good. Very pretty.

9. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 15, 2013 at 13:14 #

I think the firmness you describe is just about right Mardi. It looks perfect and of course little ones are much cuter! Have a great weekend!

10. Nana February 15, 2013 at 16:02 #

That chocolate version sounds wonderful. I topped my slice with chocolate and I
    thought they were perfect together. I think this was a winner for everyone, sliced or
    spooned out. Have a great weekend.

11. Mary Hirsch February 15, 2013 at 16:40 #

I have yet to unmold my new 7″ hearts. I actually made Dorie’s version three days ago and it’s been in the fridge ever since. I hope it hasn’t grown mold. Yesterday I made Ina Garten’s version because I need something to work for a dinner party and don’t want dip for dessert. I wondered about Greek yogurt also and your mom’s sounds delicious. How about sharing your chocolate recipe. I already like you sister,

• Mardi Michels February 16, 2013 at 07:36 #

The chocolate version is linked in the post above! Try it!
      Three days? It won’t have grown mold but it should be firm by now..

12. Colette @ JFF! February 15, 2013 at 16:45 #

Yogurt is a brilliant substitute!

13. Amy Andrews February 15, 2013 at 19:46 #

Look at you! The first poster this week — woo! Yogurt and marscarpone — now there’s a combo that might get me to give this dessert another chance. Bon weekend!

14. Betsy February 15, 2013 at 21:22 #

Your heart looks so inviting in that sea of raspberry. I made a big one and it sliced just fine. It was a more gel than dip, though I definitely didn’t love it. Maybe your chocolate version?

15. Kathy February 15, 2013 at 21:44 #

Your coeur a la creme looks perfectly beautiful! Love the way you plated them with the raspberry puree! I need to make your chocolate version.

16. pamkaren February 15, 2013 at 22:01 #

Your’s looks lovely….but what chocolate version???? Sounds intriguing…..

• Mardi Michels February 16, 2013 at 07:34 #

The link to the chocolate version is in the post! Try it!

17. Teresa February 16, 2013 at 04:39 #

Lovely, and the chocolate version sounds amazing, too. Your sister has the right idea, I think. Two spoons and a bowl, no waiting.

18. Trevor Sis. Boom. February 16, 2013 at 11:49 #

I bookmarked the chocolate version for possible next year. My mom’s version uses ricotta so I do think you need that heavier cheese to get the version that comes the closest to a sliceable heart. Cut with a knife and all that…:)

19. Zuzana February 16, 2013 at 16:35 #

That’s very beautiful!

20. yummychunklet February 16, 2013 at 19:34 #

Your dessert looks fantastic!

21. Hamsamalini February 17, 2013 at 07:27 #

Love to have a dip in the yummy pool of raspberries. Love your version with yogurt.

22. Elaine February 18, 2013 at 13:57 #

Your mother’s version sounds delicious with the mascarpone cheese. Your coeur looks lovely in the pool of raspberry sauce, Mardi. I am so intrigued about the chocolate version!

23. Renee February 21, 2013 at 20:58 #

I think your mother’s recipe would be lovely! I love sweetened and vanilla in my mascarpone. Maybe I will try this recipe on another non-heart occasion!