Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table French Fridays with DorieThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Brown sugar squash and Brussels sprouts en papillote, p 352) was sans controversy (after the great plastic wrap mystery from 3 weeks ago and the odd fusion dish from last week…). Well sans controversy unless you count me not having foil or enough parchment paper to make little “en papillote” packets and being too lazy to head out in the cold to buy some ;) (En papillote, for those who don’t know, is simply steaming food in the oven in little packages of parchment or foil. Serious Eats has some useful info in this article here).

Yeah so I totally didn’t even do the “en papillote” thing. Roasted the apples, Brussels sprouts and squash in the oven for around 40 minutes. Achieved some lovely caramelization from the brown sugar and, I think a nicer texture from the roasting than “en papillote” would have. Steamed veggies? Meh… Roasted veggies? Yes!

brown sugar squash and brussels sprouts en papillote Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table French Firdays with Dorie

And while the roasting Brussels sprouts were a bit on the whiffy side, our resident fan of what my sister and I used to call “Barbie cabbages” (they’re totally the right size), Mr Neil, called them “really, really good”. And hey, not a hint of bacon anywhere! Win!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Brown sugar squash and brussels sprouts (not) en papillote

1. Liz February 1, 2013 at 08:36 #

Roasting was an excellent idea, Mardi! Beautifully done~

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen February 1, 2013 at 08:38 #

I eat vegetables like these on a regular basis and they´re so good. Have to try this combination, but brussels sprouts just dissapeared from the market. Have a great weekend Mardi!

3. Eileen February 1, 2013 at 09:41 #

Experience serious roasting envy. I need to try this recipe again, but roast instead of steam.

4. Sara February 1, 2013 at 10:00 #

Once again, I’m so glad you told us ahead of time that you did this, because I probably wouldn’t have bothered to try it myself. I liked this better than the en papillote method. Both the texture and the flavors were better. Good to know! Thanks for the heads-up about it! ;)

5. Amy Andrews February 1, 2013 at 11:40 #

Your melange looks marvy! I want to make it again so I can roast and carmelize as you have done. :)

6. Colette @ JFF! February 1, 2013 at 14:23 #

Oh la laaaaaaaaaaa….

7. Diane Balch February 1, 2013 at 14:28 #

Roasted is the only way I really like brussels sprouts any other way is just tolerable. I’m with you on roasting.

8. Kendra February 1, 2013 at 17:31 #

Yours look so good! I followed the recipe, and liked them for a fast way to prepare them! I think I’ll be roasting my leftover squash!

9. Meg @ Sweet Twist February 1, 2013 at 19:09 #

Sounds and looks wonderful. Who needs the paper. :-)

10. Nana February 1, 2013 at 19:57 #

Looks delicious when roasted too. Such a simple preparation, we truly enjoyed this one.

11. Kathy February 1, 2013 at 20:50 #

I actually enjoyed these veggies, however roasting is always my preferred method! Your veggies look perfect!!

12. Betsy February 1, 2013 at 21:18 #

Barbie cabbage: LOL! I think roasting was the way to go. Good call. I did en papillote, but no caramelization :( Nice combo, and next time: roasting!

13. Cher February 1, 2013 at 21:18 #

I would never turn my nose up at a roasted vegetable. Looks great!

14. Geoff February 1, 2013 at 22:41 #

I could smell those veggies while I was reading the post.

15. Lola February 2, 2013 at 18:12 #

I agree with you on the veggies. I don’t like steamed brussels sprouts at all but love them roasted!

16. Teresa February 2, 2013 at 19:20 #

The en papillote version was good, but your roasted version looks great. I love the phrase ‘Barbie cabbages’ – would have been perfect for the kitchen in my Barbie cruise ship or my sister’s Barbie motor home.

• Mardi Michels March 23, 2013 at 16:41 #

You have no idea how jealous I am of the cruise ship and motor home! We just had the townhouse!

17. Tricia S. February 3, 2013 at 09:47 #

I was so behind in prep (as usual) that I rolled right into the “en papillote” without considering roasting. My go to with brussels sprouts involves bacon, chopped onions and pignoli nuts- with much caramelization. This was so easy that I think I like it more than perhaps I should have – agreeing with you that coming off the melted wrap and funky noodles of late, this was a relief :)

18. Mr. Neil February 3, 2013 at 11:22 #

Well not that a little bacon would not have been a glorious addition…but these were fantastic.

I’d actually even recommend to those not sure about Brussels sprouts.

19. Trevor February 3, 2013 at 11:41 #

Ha! But didn’t you still think “I wonder how this would have been with bacon?” I did. But then I also wanted to do them again as roasted…. I WILL be doing that tonight with my leftovers. Meh indeed. Great photo!

20. Tami February 3, 2013 at 21:53 #

**SIGH** ………so wish I knew which box my Dorrie cookbook was in :( …….these look so yum and I wanna make them for dinner tonight………well that’s if the roads are open again after the floods and the supermarket has food again!!!!

21. Renee February 4, 2013 at 20:58 #

Your veggies have a beautiful color! And I bet they tasted great. I love the “barbie cabbages”- that’s what I called them too!

22. Mary Hirsch February 4, 2013 at 22:49 #

You cheated!!! And, I think, you win. I liked this week’s recipe. I wanted very badly to like this week’s recipe. So, I did. Although I think it’s more a Fall/Thanksgiving type veggie dish, it was flavorful. That brown sugar just topped it off. However, roasted and carmelized tops “en papillote” any day of the week. (I’m not a big fan of steamed fish either,) Your vegetables actually look beautiful and delicious and I know it was a nice meal. A salad and some bread. Who needs more? Well, bacon, maybe.