Tuesdays With Dorie: Pizza with Onion Confit

Tuesdays with Dorie Baking with Julia onion confit pizzaHappy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful holiday season filled with friends, food and relaxation. Burma was quite the trip and I’m still a little jetlagged with thousands of pictures to sort through but if you want a sneak peek, I have complied a set in Flickr of the “on the go” pics from the trip from my iPhone.  They’re not the best but you will get the idea of the trip pretty quickly – lots of fab food and pagodas!

This first Tuesdays with Dorie/ Baking with Julia recipe for 2013 (Pizza with Onion Confit, p 159) was kind of a perfect one to welcome us home – after a steady diet of noodles and rice (not that we were complaining!), pizza was something both of us were craving a little, though not a rich cheesy, heavy kind of pizza. So this one was perfect.

The dough was easy enough though I did find it a little on the dry side and found myself adding a touch more olive oil and water before it felt like an “elastic” dough. I know that I still need to work on figuring out pizza dough though because this effort, whilst tasty, was not quite there. The edges puffed and crisped and looked right but the middle was a little too dense (thin, granted, but dense and not quite “pizza dough” in its consistency.

It would have been tasty enough on its own but I added some arugula, for both colour as well as a taste contrast. The confit onions (basically caramelized – brilliant, I must say – with a touch of red wine and crème de cassis) were quite sweet so I added the goat cheese for some sharper flavour but it still needed more. Fresh arugula piled on the pizza just before serving added some bitter as well as crunch (and colour!).

A perfect segue into “western” food after our trip.

Baking with Julia Tuesdays with Dorie onion confit pizza with arugula and goat cheese

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Julia hosted by Paul of The Boy Can Bake and you can find the recipe posted on his blog. Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking along at Tuesdays with Dorie. Go on, you know you want to.

, , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie: Pizza with Onion Confit

1. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 8, 2013 at 06:28 #

It has the perfect color, and arugula was a must! I didn´t have any at home when I made this, too bad. Those pics from the trip are fabulous, the colors! Happy New Year Mardi!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:32 #

Thanks Paula – I was pretty pleased. Not perfect but not bad!

2. Cher January 8, 2013 at 08:12 #

No, this definitely did not make my list of top 10 or 20 favorite pizza doughs – but we loved the onion topping. Adding the arugula was the right call – because those wine-tinged onions were rather off-putting.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:31 #

Oh I loved the onions but the colour was a bit odd before they went in the oven…

3. Jan January 8, 2013 at 08:40 #

I love the term “western food”! Made me laugh when I was in Malaysia!
    Finding a good recipe for pizza dough is so hard. I agree with you that they all work out more or less, but they are never quite like pizza!

4. Maggie January 8, 2013 at 09:06 #

Ooh Burma! I’m going to go check out your pics right now! The pizza with arugula looks great! I can never ever find arugula here so maybe I will try to grow some next summer.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:30 #

Growing your own arugula? Wow – impressive!

5. Sarah, Maison Cupcake January 8, 2013 at 10:54 #

Looks marvellous – I’d never considered creme de cassis as a pairing with onion but I bet it goes very well, especially with some nice cheese.

6. Sara January 8, 2013 at 10:57 #

Very nice! The edges of the pizza colored up nicely, and it really does look nice with that pop of green! Beautiful!

7. SandraM January 8, 2013 at 12:05 #

I love the look of arugula topping a pizza. Looks so fresh.
    I found the dough a little stiff. But I think I shouldn’t have just followed the recipe when it said to add 2 cups of flour. I should have added a little at a time and checked it along the way. So my first pizza crust seemed a little tough. But the other half of dough I left in the fridge overnight. The next day I made another pizza and the crust was so much better. Guess it just needed a rest.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:29 #

I didn’t add all the flour and it was still stiff…

8. Lindsey January 8, 2013 at 12:47 #

I’m on a serious pizza kick lately and this looks DIVINE. I crack for anything with caramelized onions!

9. Mel January 8, 2013 at 14:39 #

Your pizza looks nice!!! I love arugula on top, it gives a lovely color, and I’m sure a good taste!!!
    I enjoyed the onion confit, but I didn’t put the crème de cassis inside, so maybe it’s the reason it wasn’t too sweet!!! Great job!!!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:29 #

I think it needed the crème de cassis to give it a little “ooomph”. I didn’t find them too sweet, they just needed something to offset it.

10. Colette January 8, 2013 at 15:25 #

The onion must be so sweet & tangy…

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:28 #

It was a little sweet, yes, hence the need for arugula/ rocket.

11. Geoff January 8, 2013 at 18:59 #

From rice and noodles to pizza – a cultural bridge indeed.
    Welcome back, Mardi.

12. Andrea January 8, 2013 at 19:46 #

Mardi, may i say that we seem to have had similar ideas more than once (so far) as far as the recipes for both the FFwD as well as the TwD groups go. You made a very pretty (and very tasty sounding) presentation of the pizza with the onion confit, arugula and goat cheese – I went with watercress, goat cheese and fresh figs. This was a wonderful recipe that left a lot of room for all kinds of wonderful ideas for different toppings!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:28 #

I love the idea of figs – seems a few people used them and I will next time too!

13. Catherine Daugherty January 8, 2013 at 21:18 #

Beautiful pictures and wonderful post! Welcome home. Blessings, Catherine

14. saucy gander January 9, 2013 at 05:18 #

I used arugula (rocket in aussie) too. Great photos! Re noodles, I am getting ready for a lot of traditional Chinese food with Chinese new year coming up.

15. kitchen therapy January 9, 2013 at 05:53 #

You pizza looks so fresh and light!
    Love the colours

16. Carie January 9, 2013 at 09:12 #

Beautiful pizza! I agree that the dough was a little tough. Still, it was a good pizza.

17. Meghan @ Love in the Kitchen January 9, 2013 at 12:22 #

Confit onions- yes please! This pizza looks delish- though I don’t eat gluten so I am still ever searching for the perfect GF pizza crust. Thanks for sharing this- is anything ever bad with arugula on top!?

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:27 #

Arugula, onions and goat cheese make a great topping!

18. Elaine January 9, 2013 at 19:51 #

I enjoyed your photos during your trip, Mardi. Beautiful job on the pizza. The arugula was a good choice not only for color, but I am sure it offset the sweetness of the onions perfectly.

19. Inge and Gillian January 9, 2013 at 23:14 #

Love your pizza with arugula and goat cheese. Looked up your pics on Burma. What a fabulous trip. Great photos.

20. Becky January 10, 2013 at 12:30 #

Your crust got great color! That’s where you get flavor when your dough kind of carmelizes. Pale dough doesn’t have as much flavor. Good job! I don’t care for a pizza entirely of carmelzied onions either. I use them as a condiment or complimentary topping with other ingredients that go together.

21. Margaret January 10, 2013 at 14:33 #

The arugula makes it looks so fresh.

22. Cathleen January 12, 2013 at 01:45 #

We made similar pizzas. In addition to the goat cheese and arugula, I added dried figs. I thought this was a wonderful recipe. You made a beautiful pizza.