French Fridays with Dorie: Herb-speckled spaetzle

Uh oh. That’s what I thought when I saw this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Herb-speckled spaetzle, p 372). Not because I don’t like spaetzle (basically little dumplings) but because I don’t own any thing that can successfully make the spaetzle the correct shape (see here, they’re supposed to be little squiggly thin things).  I checked out a few sites then saw Wikipedia showing all sorts of different shapes (and spellings) of spaetzle/ spätzle. So after trying a colander and a grater, I plopped the mixture into a piping bag and made shapes not unlike gnocchi (in fact not unlike the gnocchi we’ve already made for French Fridays with Dorie).

I’m going to say they were “rustic” looking. Right?

In any case, they were super quick to prepare – 10 minutes for the dough, then they boil for a few minutes in salted water then are cooked in a broth with mushrooms and onions. I used chives as my herb of choice. I snuck a few while I was photographing them but later we served them with steak.  A perfect winter dish.  They are definitely better freshly cooked but they were still tasty (if a little rubbery) by the time dinner came around. But wow. This has inspired me to figure out a way to make the little squiggly shapes. I loved this but think I would love it more in smaller form.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find the recipe online here) rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

*** I’m in Myanmar right now with extremely limited internet access (if any) but if I can I will share a few pics via Instagram, Twitter or Flickr – feel free to follow me there if you are not already!

, , , , ,

39 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Herb-speckled spaetzle

1. idiosyncratic eye January 4, 2013 at 08:13 #

Intriguing, I’m guessing that they don’t need more than a few store cupboard ingredients so would make a handy recipe to keep in mind for bare days! :)

2. Maggie January 4, 2013 at 08:17 #

I’m a little late and going to give these a try tonight – I was thinking I would use a box grater? I hope that works. Yours look beautiful in that turquoise pot – is it Le Creuset? My professional kitchenware salesperson side says yes but the color looks new to me. Soooooo pretty!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:12 #

Yes it’s new :) Don’t think the colour is a new one though, but might depend on where you live – diff colours available in diff countries.

3. Krissy January 4, 2013 at 10:21 #

What a beautiful pot of spaetzle. Good idea to pipe them out. I love dumplings in all forms and yours look like a very tasty side especially with that pretty Arizona sky blue pot. Sounds like you had a hearty January dinner.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:12 #

Thanks – it’ my new Le Creuset (my first)

4. Colette @ JFF! January 4, 2013 at 11:37 #

I wonder if spaetzle’s as fun to eat as it is to pronounce…

5. Lora January 4, 2013 at 12:59 #

I love späzle, one of my favorite dishes I first had in Germany. I made sure to bring a späzle maker with me when I moved back to the States. I love the scallions.

6. Betsy January 4, 2013 at 21:16 #

Your German gnocchi look rustic, but hearty and delicious. We ate this as the main course, but I’m seeing most other Doristas ate spaetzle as a side. Next time, for sure. Hope your trip was wonderful.

7. Stephanie January 5, 2013 at 00:13 #

Yummmm!!! The fresh pasta with the mushrooms is making my mouth water. Homemade pasta can be so time consuming so I was happy to read that this all comes together quickly. Pinning it to try for a weeknight dinner

8. Liz January 5, 2013 at 07:58 #

I love dumplings/noodles of any size! Yours may not look like traditional spaetzle, but they look delish!!!

9. Carie January 5, 2013 at 08:25 #

I think they would be good in any size. My next idea, if none of my other random kitchen tools worked, was to poke a bunch of little holes in a freezer bag to see if I could get the right shapes. Thankfully, the food mill worked ok. They are delish and worth trying again.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:10 #

Oh that’s a good idea too! Lucky you having a food mill!

10. Nana January 5, 2013 at 11:34 #

The spaetzle looks delicious. Hubby and I really loved this recipe, especially the
    additional step of frying it with the mushrooms. Happy New Year.

11. Cher January 5, 2013 at 12:30 #

Your gnocchi dumplings look tasty; but even if they didn’t, that pot would make them look so :-)

Stay warm! And Happy New Year.

12. Marina@Picnic at Marina January 5, 2013 at 13:13 #

When I opened this post I couldn’t believe it: it’s my grandmother’s meal on a cold winter day. She even had a same wooden spoon! As far as I remember she didn’t follow any shape specific recipes, it was her own. Thank you for taking me back in my childhood at my grandmother’s country cottage, I loved being there… :)

13. Teresa January 5, 2013 at 17:46 #

They look great in that shape. I used a flat grater for mine, but I think a pastry bag would have been a little less messy. I’ve loved the photos you’ve been posting to Twitter from your trip – seems like you had a wonderful time!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:09 #

Thanks :) I need to try this again with a flat grater and more time/ patience.

14. Andrea January 5, 2013 at 19:21 #

Mardi, your Spätzle might be a bit on the “plumper” side than they are traditionally, but they look and sound as if they were quite delicious – this was a fun recipe and I am glad that you enjoyed it. Very pretty presentation!
    Hope you had a wonderful time in Myanmar!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:09 #

Thanks. And I am ok with them being a bit plump and rustic.

15. Sara January 6, 2013 at 10:22 #

At this point, I think spaetzle can come in whatever shape is easiest for the cook! I had such a hard time with my slotted skimmer, I wish I’d thought of pushing it through a pastry bag! It looks terrific – very hearty and comforting, perfect for winter!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:08 #

Yes they were not cooperating in the colander either for me :(

16. Mary Hirsch January 6, 2013 at 12:34 #

Now why didn’t I pull out one of my disposable piping bags and make spaetzle-gnocchi. How perfect. Instead I used every utensil/piece of equipment in my kitchen with holes (except my head) and it required 1/2 bottle of dishwashing soap to get them clean. And, frustration, yeah….. They were tasty, as you said, and seem to be a perfect side to beef. Spaetzle makers cost anywhere from $6.99 to $70. I think I’ll try making it a few more times with the pastry bag just to see if I like them enough (there are so many versions) to pop for the cadillac of all spaetzle makers? Shouldn’t everybody own one?

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:08 #

I need to try this with a smaller tip cut out of the piping bag. I reckon I could do it.

17. Andi January 6, 2013 at 19:24 #

I had never heard of spaetzle until I worked in Switzerland and passed my first autumn there. It was served with game during the season and I fell in love. The results of the recipe look delicious!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:08 #

Yes they are something I need to investigate more!

18. Jan January 7, 2013 at 00:18 #

These look amazing! When I lived in Germany, I met a few students who made me spaezle for dinner one night with a stew. They had a press to make the spaezle but they weren’t happy with it and I think they ended up just grating the dough straight into the water (sorry it was in 2003, and I can’t remember exactly).

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:07 #

I wish I could have grated mine but I am fine with it being “rustic” ;)

19. Kathy January 7, 2013 at 20:15 #

I love your rustic looking dumplings…they look delicious!! I used my flat grater and it seemed to work fine. Happy New Year, Mardi!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Food Foto - Cuvee Napa Oh! Benedict - Misadventures with Andi - January 11, 2013

[...] From Eat Live Travel Write: Herb speckled spaetzle [...]