Tuesdays with Dorie: Finnish Pulla

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe (Finnish Pulla, p 106) most definitely made me realise how far I have come making bread this year. Only a short year ago did I fear the bread and the thought of making anything with yeast made me nervous. And while I recognise that this recipe is an easy bread, relatively to many, the fact that I was able to make this, pretty easily and sans stress made me think that you know what? This bread baking thing isn’t half bad…

It’s a beautiful, silky, easy to work with dough that comes together quickly (I used the stand mixer), producing a soft, sweet bread, normally flavoured with cardamom, though here, for a festive touch, with a half-cup of dried cranberries only.

The loaf is braided from three strands of dough, then shaped into a type of wreath but as you can tell I had a bit of a braiding issue. I even had to stop and braid some of my hair to practice but to no avail. So it’s a “twisted” loaf rather than a braided one. But no matter, it was still pretty. Plus, you know, *I* made this. Words cannot describe the feeling you get looking in the oven at bread baking. It’s magical.

I *loved* this bread a lot. SO fresh and soft. Perfect warm with a little butter. I sliced it into thin slices and froze them, they toasted up well too.

Yes, there are a lot of gratuitous shots of the bread today because I simply cannot believe how “real” it looks.

The only thing missing? The pearl sugar on the top. I didn’t have any so just sprinkled some sugar on top the egg glaze. Would have been prettier with pearl sugar. Next time. Because you know what? There probably will be a next time. I can do this. This bread thing!

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Julia was hosted by Erin of The Daily Morsel and you can find the recipe posted on her blog. Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking along at Tuesdays with Dorie. Go on, you know you want to.

** I’m submitting this to Kitchen Bootcamp: Challenge – Holiday Recipes!

, , , , , ,

47 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Finnish Pulla

1. Cher December 18, 2012 at 06:18 #

I told you this was the year of yeast :-) You came, you saw, you conquered!!!!
    Gorgeous.

2. Liz December 18, 2012 at 06:24 #

So pretty with the cranberries, Mardi! And I agree, yeast bread is not so daunting anymore!

3. Gretchen Noelle @ Provecho Peru December 18, 2012 at 07:06 #

I think it looks lovely! The twist looks perfect and sugar or no sugar on top, I bet it was still delicious. How wonderful that you have come so far in baking bread this year – this was a perfect last TWD recipe of the year for you!

4. Mr. Neil December 18, 2012 at 07:30 #

Actually, I must admit that *I* was thinking how far Mardi has come on the bread front when I came back from a charity children’s party and saw this browning in the oven – no hand-wringing noises to be heard!

This was a nice bread, if a tad on the sweet side for me. (Just not my preferred style – consistency and flavour as it should be.) Then again, lathered with a nice chocolate spread… ;-)

5. SandraM December 18, 2012 at 08:53 #

Great looking wreath. Love the twisted look. I should have gone that route, as the braiding was more difficult than I thought it would be!!
    It really is good bread. I was so happy it worked out and was indeed yummy.

6. Kathy December 18, 2012 at 09:30 #

I think it looks beautiful!! This was a lovely bread…I haven’t cut mine yet…saving it for Christmas morning!

7. smarkies December 18, 2012 at 09:55 #

It sure does look pretty even twisted. We have progressed since the first recipe. Well done on this one!

8. Sara December 18, 2012 at 10:22 #

Awesome, beautiful bread! You’re totally justified in taking so many pictures! I wish I’d made this bread now – I made a rum cake instead, and I think I would have liked this better. Oh, well, something for a rewind week. Lovely job!

9. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 18, 2012 at 11:51 #

I like the twisted idea a lot! This bread has so many possible additions, I love it. It looks wonderful Mardi!

10. Julia December 18, 2012 at 12:25 #

Looks great! It’s amazing how far you can come in a year. I too feared yeast not even twelve months ago. Now, we just have to pick something new to conquer in 2013 ;)

11. Colette @ JFF! December 18, 2012 at 12:35 #

How do you say
    “damn good lookin’ bread”
    in Finnish?

12. Teresa December 18, 2012 at 14:40 #

I love the twisted look and the cranberries are a perfect touch. It’s easy to fall in love with a loaf of bread that you’ve made with your own hands, isn’t it? There’s something magical about making yeasted breads.

13. Ckay December 18, 2012 at 16:05 #

Congratulations! You achieved a masterpiece! and the addition of cranberry is such a good and yummy idea!
    I love this bread! It’s a winner

14. Inge and Gillian December 18, 2012 at 17:01 #

What a lovely job, Mardi. The cranberries add a really festive touch to your bread. We know the feeling. It is truly satisfying when bread turns out really well.

15. Mel December 18, 2012 at 17:04 #

Love the twisted look too, and the cranberries are a great idea, I think to do the same the next time!!! So yummy and perfect for Christmas!!!
    Happy Holidays!

16. Ann Mah December 18, 2012 at 17:53 #

Gorgeous, Mardi — and I love sweet breads scented with cardamom. They always remind me of a dear Swedish friend and her Saint-Lucia celebrations. Happy holidays!

17. Paula December 18, 2012 at 18:21 #

Never again can you say you have trouble with bread….not even braided breads! Looks fabulous Mardi ;)

18. Catherine Daugherty December 18, 2012 at 20:48 #

YOU are a bread baker! Congrats on the beautiful wreath! Merry Christmas!

19. Katarina December 18, 2012 at 22:38 #

I’m a Finn, and I love pulla :) I have recipes for buns on my blog, if you are interested, thanks! Yours look moist and delicious! Have a great day!

20. Ferda December 19, 2012 at 12:28 #

Your bread looks great.. I loved it too, definitely a keeper..

21. Carie December 19, 2012 at 22:03 #

Your pulla is beautiful! It looks so very festive with the dried cranberries. I am glad you are enjoying bread baking! Happy Holidays!

22. Cathleen December 19, 2012 at 22:21 #

I think your bread looks very pretty sans pearl sugar! Love the twisted look!

23. Mary Hirsch December 21, 2012 at 05:30 #

I am so disappointed that I didn’t get this bread made this week. Yous looks absolutely beautiful. I will admit I was a little intimidated – it seemed difficult. The braiding thing. But, you’ve given me a little confidence to give it a go. I just finished my Christmas with my family and have a big lonely week-end facing me so I think I will try to pull this off. Thanks for the encouragement. Your bread looks fabulous.

24. Marlise December 22, 2012 at 16:32 #

Yeah for you! There is a whole world of bread baking out there for you to conquer now. Go for it! Great job!

25. Maggie December 26, 2012 at 09:35 #

Your twisted bread looks beautiful! And I loved the cranberries idea! My dad is coming for a visit in a few days and requested that we make this together so I think we’ll add some stuff too.