French Fridays with Dorie: Go-with-everything celery root puree

I was so happy to see this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Go-with-everything celery root purée, p 254) pop up! I am a huge fan of mashed potatoes, though Neil is not, so I was keen to try this and see what he thought (I knew I would like it!).

It’s a simple recipe, celery root, onion and a small amount of potato simmered in milk, strained and mashed with some butter. Its silky and smooth once mashed (I used both a food processor and an immersion blender, as I made it twice) and not at all sharp as raw celery root is (I like that but you don’t want a sharp flavour in a mash).  I added some chives for colour.

I served it with the chicken apples and cream à la Normande from a couple of French Fridays ago (both at home and when I made it with Les Petits Chefs) and it wa perfect for soaking up the juices. I actually ate a fair bit of it just on its own. It’s THAT good.

I’ll be using this on top of shepherd’s pie the next time I make it for a unique spin on a classic.  And Mr Neil even liked it so that means we get to eat mash in our house again! Hurrah!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find the recipe online here) rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

*** I’m in Myanmar right now with extremely limited internet access (if any) but if I can I will share a few pics via Instagram, Twitter or Flickr – feel free to follow me there if you are not already!

, , , , , , ,

28 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Go-with-everything celery root puree

1. Cher December 28, 2012 at 07:43 #

Beautiful!

I wonder how this would be on top of Dorie’s hachis parmentier? I am sure it was lovely with the chicken.

2. Liz December 28, 2012 at 07:45 #

I liked this better than mashed potatoes, too! Wonderful base for Dorie’s chicken. Happy, happy New Year, Mardi!

3. Sara December 28, 2012 at 08:34 #

Sounds interesting to pair this with the chicken and cream dish. I definitely wasn’t fond of this dish by itself, but I imagine it would be okay with other flavors. And yours certainly looks beautiful! I love that presentation! Happy New Year to you!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:06 #

Yes it needs something else but I personally liked it on its own.

4. Maggie December 28, 2012 at 09:09 #

Lovely lovely lovely! I chickened out and made gougeres because I felt a distaste for the idea of celery root but maybe I was wrong?? Hope you have a Happy New Year Mardi!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:06 #

This doesn’t taste like celery root at all. It’s smooth and creamy and buttery!

5. Betsy December 28, 2012 at 11:01 #

Nice idea to pair this with that delicious chicken. I served with beef stew, but I like your idea to use it as topping for the hachis parmentier (one of my favorite AMFT recipes). Happy New Year! Hope you are having a fabulous time in Myanmar.

6. Diane Balch December 28, 2012 at 11:20 #

I love your pairing this with the Chicken Normandy… fabulous contrast to the sweet creamy chicken. Happy New Year.

7. Colette @ JFF! December 28, 2012 at 15:37 #

Love mashed celery root. Wouldn’t even miss the taters!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:05 #

Not at all, though there are some in there…

8. Cakelaw December 28, 2012 at 17:10 #

This puree would have been perfect with the chicken – it demands a sauce to soak up the juice. And hubby liked it – bonus. Happy New Year Mardi!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:05 #

Yes it was perfect for a juicy dish like the chicken.

9. Carie December 28, 2012 at 21:00 #

This would be wonderful on top of shepherd’s pie! What a great idea! I served mine with the chicken dish as well, only I used pork. It was tasty, wasn’t it?

10. Lola December 28, 2012 at 21:05 #

Great idea to serve this with Dorie’s chicken! Happy New Year Mardi!

11. Candy (Dulce) December 28, 2012 at 22:50 #

You dish looks wonderful. I’m sure it was good with the chicken, and your ideas about shepherd’s pie (or Cher’s about hachis parmentier) sound really good.

Happy New Year!

12. Teresa December 29, 2012 at 05:14 #

Such a good choice to serve it with the chicken and I really like your idea of using it as an alternative to mashed potatoes on a shepherd’s pie. Hope your travels are glorious – happy New Year!

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:03 #

Yes I think I need to try the shepherd’s pie!

13. Mary Hirsch December 30, 2012 at 19:43 #

I thought you were in Morocco and that was exciting enough. But, Myanmar, is beyond fabulous. Our President was just there so you are in good company (in my opinion). As soon as I leave your comment, I am going to try to catch up with you via I, T or F. What an experience, Mardi.

Back to the mundane, I guess. I loved this recipe – first time to use celery root as a “mash”. Loved writing that. Although I’ve made Céleri Rémoulade several times, this was a new one for me. Although it went well with what I made on Christmas Day, I do feel that this should be served with something soupy and saucy, just as you did.

Happy New Year. Travel Safely. Now…..on to catch up with you.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:03 #

It’s definitely going into regular rotation in my house, that’s for sure!