A gift to myself

This is my 188th post for 2012. My 894th post since I began eat. live. travel. write. on a whim in May 2009. Who knew back then that it would become such a huge part of my life? But you know that can go both ways – on the one hand, my blog brings me great pleasure – I love writing. I love the challenge of photography. I love the interaction with you, my dear readers. But you know what? On the other hand, it’s a lot of work. And because the Internet never sleeps, if you’re like me, you can get caught up in the idea that your blog shouldn’t sleep either.

But guess what? In an unprecedented move, I. Am. Taking. A. Break. (I hope you were sitting down for that one!).  Because while 2012 has been a wonderful year in so many respects, it’s also been a very challenging one.  Both Neil and I have taken on a lot – some would say we’ve bitten off more than we can chew, but neither of us are the type of people to admit that and just soldier on getting things done, sleeping a little less to compensate.  Recently, we’ve dealt with serious illness in both our families.  We’ve said goodbye to dear friends and family members this year too.  We’re both ending this year exhausted and in need of a battery recharge. And a little perspective.

Many of you will know that we are headed to Myanmar over the holidays. Where there is no cell phone coverage and spotty to no internet. So, you know the last thing I want to be doing is running around looking for a wifi signal to make sure my scheduled posts are up and running so I can promote them on Twitter and through the various photo sites I submit to (believe me, Mr Neil and other travel companions have seen this many times before). And don’t get me wrong. As I write this I have numerous posts lined up that I was going to schedule over that time. And not even just “filler” posts either – they are travel posts I spent a long time on and am proud of. So it seems a waste to have them run when I am not around, to run them “just because” I don’t want “empty space” on my blog.  But don’t worry -  I’ll just post them later, when I return. Travel pieces are timeless anyway.

No, instead, I will allow my French Fridays with Dorie posts to go ahead as scheduled (since, you know, I have not missed one week since the beginning in October 2010 and I am too A-type to let go of that unless I have to LOL!) but apart from that, it will be quiet around these parts.

BUT – if you know anything about me, you’ll know that 1. I take a lot of photos and 2. I like to share them. So if there IS wifi I will share a few pics via Instagram, Twitter or Flickr – feel free to follow me there if you aren’t already. But don’t worry if my feeds go dark after Dec 24th. It doesn’t mean anything bad has happened, just that there IS no wifi. A novel idea, n’est-ce pas?

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season, whatever you celebrate and best wishes for a healthy and happy 2013. I’ll be back with lots of stories and recipes in the new year!

24 Responses to A gift to myself

1. Cindy December 22, 2012 at 05:19 #

Merry Christmas & All the Best in the 2013 New Year ! Happy Happy Holidays … I could use one of those, maybe next Year. It is been such a pleasure to have met you through your blog Mardi, and I look forward to any posts you do put up via my Google Reader. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy !!! xx

2. Lindsey December 22, 2012 at 07:30 #

GOOD FOR YOU! I am starting to do the same. I simply can’t take on anymore and worrying about the blog is futile. People are preoccupied with family, food and gifts at this time anyway. Wise thinking to save your star content for January when you can really engage with readers! ENJOY THAT TRIP! So curious to see your photos!

3. Cher December 22, 2012 at 08:38 #

Mardi – Yea for you! Enjoy your well deserved rest and have a super amazing trip with Mr. Neil.

I can’t wait to see any photos.

Travel safe & big hugs.

Do you want me to post your LYL for FFwD next week?

4. Edna December 22, 2012 at 08:42 #

I’m sure it’s more than well-deserved! Enjoy Burma and have a wonderful holiday season — I can’t wait to see all your photos!

5. Jan @ Family Bites December 22, 2012 at 08:49 #

I’m so proud of you! I’m doing the same and look forward to a much needed blogging break. Have a safe and wonderful trip, and I’ll look forward to getting together for dinner early in the new year. xoxo

6. habanerogal December 22, 2012 at 08:55 #

wishing you and Neil a brilliant Christmas and holiday in Myanmar.

7. cathy December 22, 2012 at 09:04 #

Well it seems that whatever happens the world just doesn’t end so a few weeks won’t kill you!! See you in Yangon!

8. Martha December 22, 2012 at 09:28 #

Have a super trip, both of you! I look forward to hearing all about it. Enjoy your break from the Internet!

9. Mr. Neil December 22, 2012 at 12:21 #

I don’t believe it. Miss Mardi will be searching the internet a-go-go. ;-)

10. Mr. Neil December 22, 2012 at 12:23 #

As for Mr. Neil?

Whisky flask? CHECK.
    Cuban Cigar or two? CHECK.
    Book? CHECK. (Bend Sinister by Nabokov – seemed fitting for Burma…)
    Magazines and Films for Flgiht? CHECK.
    Extra books on iPod? CHECK.

I think I’m ready to escape 2012…

11. Stephanie @ kitchen frolic December 22, 2012 at 18:47 #

It’s been great getting to know you these past few months, even if it’s mainly been through your blog and on Twitter. Your support and encouragement is much appreciated. I do hope we get to meet up in person in the new year!

As for me, I’ll be attempting macarons for the first time while I’m off for holidays the next 2 weeks, which means I’ll be spending A LOT of time re-reading all your macaron posts & re-watching your helpful videos! :D

Have a wonderful holiday season and a safe trip (can’t wait to see the photos!) and here’s wishing you a happy 2013 filled with new adventures and memories!

12. Meg @ Sweet Twist December 22, 2012 at 20:05 #

Have a great great trip. A little recharge and rest is what every one need sometimes.

13. Ann Mah December 22, 2012 at 20:33 #

Bon voyage, Mardi! Have a wonderful break! And don’t worry — we’ll be here patiently waiting for you to get back. Happy holidays!

14. Aggie December 23, 2012 at 07:20 #

Enjoy the break!! It was such a pleasure meeting you this year Mardi! Merry Christmas and happy happy new year.

15. The Mistress of Spices December 23, 2012 at 08:02 #

Have a wonderful trip to Myanmar…are you passing through Bangkok by chance? Let me know if any time for a meet up. And enjoy some well-deserved rest!

16. merry jennifer December 23, 2012 at 14:34 #

A wonderful gift you’re giving yourself! I’m very much looking forward to your photos of your travels — they’re always a highlight in my instagram and twitter feed. Miss you lots!
    xo

17. Marina@Picnic at Marina December 24, 2012 at 18:47 #

You two have a lovely time off, and don’t even look for that wifi, just give yourself permission to rest…
    Happy holidays! :)

18. Geoff December 25, 2012 at 18:11 #

Well earned Mardi…. Enjoy

19. Colette @ JFF! December 27, 2012 at 16:03 #

Have fun, Mardi!

20. Sarah, Maison Cupcake December 29, 2012 at 15:38 #

I’m always staggered you do as much as you do – enjoy your well earned break!

21. cat January 2, 2013 at 00:23 #

nearly one thousand posts. you are amazing, my friend. enjoy your time off!

22. penny aka jeroxie January 13, 2013 at 02:08 #

Well deserved break and great seeing all the photos on instagram!

23. Mardi Michels January 26, 2013 at 08:04 #

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Turns out I would not have been able to blog from Burma and this was just the break I needed.