French Fridays with Dorie: Spur-of-the-moment Vegetable Soup

As I type this post, it’s raining cats and dogs outside. It’s soup weather for sure. I’ve made this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Spur of the moment vegetable soup, p 74) three times in the past 3 week. It’s just that good. Carrots, onions, garlic, celery, potato and ginger combined with some rosemary and thyme in chicken broth makes for a very tasty soup.  Best of all, you get to feel like you are making a meal out of nothing. Even better, I’d say I generally have all of those ingredients in the house during the winter so it’s something I can make anytime I need a quick, hearty, healthy soup.

Plus, when you find gorgeous carrots like this in your organic delivery box, you really want them to be the star of the dish, right?

I opted to puree the soup because, well, basically, I think it’s a lot prettier than a bowl of broth with cut up veggies. Also, this way, it doesn’t matter if your veggies are prettily cut up right? They’re going to be blitzed anyway!  For a soup full of simple ingredients, it certainly packs a lot flavour – I think it’s the ginger (I added a little more of this than the recipe called for) – and if even Mr Neil says “yum” about 1. a soup and 2. a VEGETABLE soup, well you know if must be great!

So many possibilities for changing up the vegetables, herbs and spices in this but this version will go into our winter soup rotation for sure.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find the recipe online here), rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us! Honestly, the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand. Really!

If you want to win a copy of Around my French Table, head on over to fellow Dorista, Alice’s blog (last day to enter!)

Dine with a Blogger #tasteMTL

* Want to win a trip for two to Montreal to dine with ME during restaurant week in November? It’s easy – enter the Dine with a Blogger contest here! (US/Canadians only, sorry international friends!)

** Canadians – have you checked out my “What’s for Dinner?” contest? A gorgeous $350 gift basket is up for grabs!

, , , , , , ,

38 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Spur-of-the-moment Vegetable Soup

1. Cher October 19, 2012 at 07:07 #

Beautiful carrots, beautiful soup :-)
    It is pouring here too.My poor lawn is never going to get cleaned if we don’t have a dry day soon…
    Have a great weekend.

2. Diane Balch October 19, 2012 at 08:42 #

I really adored the seasoning of this soup too and I plan on making through out the winter. Yours looks fantastic.

3. Ann Mah October 19, 2012 at 10:37 #

Yes! I have all these ingredients in the kitchen right now, and my ginger is a baby variety from the farmer’s market, tender and juicy. What a delicious way to clean out the fridge and whip up lunch in one fell swoop!

4. Geraldine Saucier October 19, 2012 at 11:53 #

Lovely and delicious soup:) I loved the flavor the ginger gave the soup.

5. Rose October 19, 2012 at 12:31 #

Ooh, the soup looks good, but the carrots really steal the show. Just gorgeous.

And you nailed the reason I like pureed soups, because then I can be lazy with my chopping:-)

6. Jennifer B. October 19, 2012 at 13:04 #

Beautiful pictures. I love that you’ve made this multiple times already. This is definitely a soup I’d like to have waiting for me in the fridge as often as possible.

7. Nana October 19, 2012 at 15:28 #

The nice thing about this soup is that most of these veggies are staples in the fridge. Yours
    look nice, very smooth, and I think when it is pureed it looks sort of elegant. I will be
    making this again all winter.

8. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 19, 2012 at 17:25 #

Love your photography! Your soup is beautiful. I’ve been thinking for a long time now to join this cooking group (Tuesdays with Dorie). It sounds fun. Maybe, soon ….

9. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 19, 2012 at 17:26 #

Not Tuesday, Fridays with Dorie. :) LOL. My brain is fried today.

10. Liz October 19, 2012 at 19:34 #

Another gorgeous blended version! I will try it that way next :)

11. Betsy October 19, 2012 at 21:08 #

I love your multi-colored carrots. It’s almost a shame to puree them and blend that rainbow of colors. I made a winter squash version, but with multiple months of soup weather ahead, I’ll try with the carrots and ginger next week. Yours looks delicious!

12. sanya October 20, 2012 at 06:31 #

The colour of your soup is beautiful!

13. Adriana October 20, 2012 at 08:02 #

Those carrots are gorgeous… almost too pretty to blend together in a soup! I can’t wait to make this one later today for lunch.

14. Dara @how_to_eat October 20, 2012 at 10:32 #

Those carrots are beautiful! Can’t wait to try this soup! I have some carrots and parsnips in my fridge right now so may try a half/half variation.

15. marilyn October 20, 2012 at 18:50 #

beautiful carrots and soup! I’m looking forward to making this soup many times and was lucky enough to get a winter CSA share this year.

16. Mary Hirsch October 20, 2012 at 19:24 #

Those carrots win a prize, some kind of prize. Their colors, when blitzed, made for a richly-colored puree. It looks gorgeous. Since I added a grain, I didn’t flavor my soup with Ginger and I really think I missed out. You all are raving about the seasoning. So, since I also will be making some form of this soup all Winter, I will just try, try, again.

17. Food is our religion October 21, 2012 at 06:25 #

Love winter soups and esp the thought of swapping and changing all the diff vegies!

18. Alice October 23, 2012 at 11:27 #

wow!! i’m so jealous of the great veg you got from your CSA!!! the mood of your photos this week is so cool and blue :) love!

19. Maria October 23, 2012 at 15:01 #

Those carrots are gorgeous and the soup mmm I could really use a bowl now, it’s cold and foggy here!!!

20. Theertha January 23, 2014 at 10:54 #

Valuable tips for the vegetable soup at the winter time