Tuesdays with Dorie: Whole Wheat loaves

For those of you who have been following along my adventures for a little while, this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie/ Baking with Julia could nearly be a wordless post. I mean, I made bread. And it looks and tastes amazing. Period. Full Stop. (if you’re new to this site, this in itself is incredible!)

Not to be big headed but I have had, shall we say, limited success with bread in the past. Up until this year. When the bread gods decided to smile on me. And the bread that I make, it works out. I’m still to be found in disbelief in front of the rising dough, or in front of the oven where the dough is cooperating and I still call Neil downstairs to “look at the proper looking bread”. Because I can’t quite believe that *I* made that.

This week’s recipe was whole wheat loaves (pp 83-84) though I only made one. I didn’t trust it would work. But it did.  And it was easy. And it made awesome toast.

Dorie and Julia just might make a bread baker out of me yet ;)

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Julia was hosted by hosted by Michele of Veggie Num Nums and Teresa of The Family That Bakes Together and you can find the recipe posted on their blogs.  Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking along at Tuesdays with Dorie. Go on, you know you want to.

, , , , ,

47 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Whole Wheat loaves

1. Daniela @ food recipes HQ September 18, 2012 at 05:25 #

Oh great, I want to bake this now!

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 18, 2012 at 06:35 #

I loved this bread too, and it´s great that you lost your aprehension. Wonderful loaf! Tall and with a great crumb Mardi!

3. Diane, A Broad September 18, 2012 at 06:48 #

I’ve never been able to find success with bread (well, except no-knead, because that’s foolproof). I always just figured it was because I didn’t have a stand mixer with a dough hook. One of these days!

4. Cher September 18, 2012 at 08:36 #

Mardi – I told you that this year would be the year of yeast… Yea!!!!!!!!!

5. Teresa September 18, 2012 at 09:15 #

That’s most definitely “proper looking bread.” It’s nice to finally best something that’s been eluding you. That toasted slice is making me feel jealous, as our loaves are long gone now.

6. Lindsey September 18, 2012 at 09:18 #

This looks amazing, Mardi! I’ve never tried to make bread but I think I too would be afraid of bungling the job… this is bread I’d gladly buy and toast for breakfast!

7. amy September 18, 2012 at 09:36 #

once you learn how to bake bread, it isn’t complicated, or scary. you just have to have patience and not use too hot water or you’ll kill the yeast. I’ve been baking bread for years and that is the best advice I can give a novice bread baker

8. smarkies September 18, 2012 at 10:35 #

And onward to more bread baking success!
    Well done! That looks like a tasty loaf.

9. Ckay September 18, 2012 at 10:43 #

I love to bake breads (don’t like to knead them by hand, but I think that using a stand mixer is not like cheating, isn’t it?).
    Your bread look beautiful and I’m so glad that you loved it.
    My favourite recipe from the book so far. Such a versatile bread is a dream!

We had it toasted and not-toasted with butter and honey or butter and jam,
    we use it for sandwiches or anytime we like to eat bread.
    I have tons in the freezer, now.

• Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) September 22, 2012 at 21:06 #

I used a stand mixer and I absolutely don’t think it’s cheating for a novice like myself!!! I love this recipe too. Will be making again!

10. Ann Mah September 18, 2012 at 10:48 #

Dead impressive, Mardi! I’m a terrible bread-baker but you’re making me want to roll up my sleeves and give it another shot!

11. cindy September 18, 2012 at 11:38 #

Yes, I would say your loaf wins. It is the most perfect I’ve seen yet! My loaf will be croutons in it’s next life.

12. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons September 18, 2012 at 12:07 #

Mardi, you’re turning into a bread winner! Seriously, bravo – you’re right: the pictures say it all.

13. Marilyn September 18, 2012 at 12:46 #

Yes, bread baking can be so satisfying!

14. Betsy September 18, 2012 at 20:54 #

Mardi, I never would have guessed that you weren’t a perfect bread baker. Glad that you are becoming one. Wasn’t this nice? Easy and, as you say, makes lovely toast. Good sandwiches too.

15. Beverly September 18, 2012 at 20:56 #

That bread is perfectly shaped- if it tastes as good as it looks- bravo indeed!

16. Inge and Gillian September 18, 2012 at 22:53 #

Bread doesn’t get any more perfect than this. You created a masterpiece.

17. Kathryn September 19, 2012 at 10:25 #

That’s some perfect looking bread!

18. Colette @ JFF! September 19, 2012 at 14:42 #

Butter couldn’t be happier!

19. Kate@Diethood September 19, 2012 at 15:41 #

That bread looks amazing! Send me a loaf asap! Pretty pleeeease. :)

20. Paula September 19, 2012 at 18:12 #

I think it is safe to say that you are indeed a bread maker Mardi and a beautiful bread maker at that! This is a perfect looking loaf and how gorgeous is it toasted!!

21. Liz September 19, 2012 at 20:28 #

PERFECT, Mardi! I’d say you have mastered the art of bread baking :)

22. Maggie September 19, 2012 at 22:04 #

Great job Mardi! Your bread has the most beautiful crust!

23. Monica September 21, 2012 at 00:34 #

Well done! I basically can’t buy store bought bread now that I know how to make my own. Yours looks perfect – and toasts well, too! For some reason, my bread, when sliced and toasted, seems to burn around the edges and not brown in the middle. Did this recipe include oil or butter in the dough? I find sometimes that helps…

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 30, 2012 at 21:50 #

I just have to point out the fact that I think you may be doing more bread baking in the last few weeks than I have! :) Your loaf of whole wheat bread looks absolutely perfect, too.