French Fridays with Dorie: Minted zucchini tagliatelle with cucumbers and lemon

It’s a really quick French Fridays with Dorie post this week. Whilst I made this ages ago, I haven’t had a chance to sit down and write this post until this week – which just happens to be back to work week for me (the boys are not back until the middle of next week but there’s always so much to do at the beginning of the school year, I feel like I am on a treadmill with no “stop” button!).

In any case, when I made this dish (minted zucchini tagliatelle with cucumbers and lemon, p 124), it was stinking hot so it was the perfect dish for the weather.  Thin strips of zucchini with some crunchy cucumber and sweet onion mixed with a lovely mint-lemon vinaigrette – lots of fresh flavours for the hot weather.

I was impressed that this salad lasted a few days in the fridge, dressed without going soggy.  It was really easy to make (I used a vegetable peeler to get the zucchini slices so thin) and even though I mostly ate it on its own, it would be wonderful with chicken or fish.  I know Mr Neil wasn’t a huge fan but I was ;)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though you are in luck this week – you can find a version of the recipe here!), rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us! Honestly, the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand.

, , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Minted zucchini tagliatelle with cucumbers and lemon

1. Ann Mah August 31, 2012 at 05:30 #

This looks gorgeous — love those cool courgette colors. Good luck with La Rentrée!

2. Mr. Neil August 31, 2012 at 07:23 #

It was nice. Mardi responded in the same way that when a woman asks you how they look in thier new outfit, and you answer “nice”.

Not nice. ;-)

It was fine. Nothing to write home about, but a pleasant side. And yes, the lasting-in-fridge factor was impressive.

Just is a MUCH better dish next to a piece of flesh, that’s all.

3. Cher August 31, 2012 at 09:36 #

No, this wasn’t the biggest hit with the male population in Casa Cher either. Good enough for firsts, but no one went back for seconds. The girls and I dug right in though.

Beautiful salad & I hope you can rest this weekend after the tough first week back. (My mom and sister were both teacher and that first week always seemed to be a killer for them)

4. Nana August 31, 2012 at 10:27 #

Very colorful with yellow and green squash. It definitely was not a favorite at our house, but
    that’s life, you can’t like them all. Have a great holiday weekend.

5. Kathy August 31, 2012 at 14:04 #

Glad you enjoyed this one! It was not a hit in my house! Sometimes you
    win and sometimes not so much! I found it to be a bit flat and flavorless.
    Good luck with the new school year…have a wonderful weekend!

6. Jenny (VintageSugarcube) August 31, 2012 at 15:49 #

Mardi- You have no idea how happy I am to see this recipe/post. I just had a similar salad with my boyfriend the other day. It was the first time I had zucchini cut that way and we loved it. My bf was trying to convince me it was cooked zucchini and I knew it was fresh. This recipe looks wonderful and so do your pics. :)

7. Teresa September 1, 2012 at 03:22 #

I opted for a vegetable peeler, too. Safer than a mandoline and it made nice, thin slices. Yours looks lovely and its good to know it keeps well – I served mine to a crowd and it disappeared.

8. Rose September 1, 2012 at 05:11 #

Looks great with a little yellow summer squash added in. Nice touch. My husband wasn’t a fan either, but to be honest, it wasn’t my favorite either. I wanted to like it much more than I did.

9. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes September 1, 2012 at 06:20 #

I agree, this is good for a very hot day. Your colored zucchinis added a nice touch to it! Have a good weekend Mardi!

10. yummychunklet September 1, 2012 at 18:42 #

Love the color!

11. Betsy September 3, 2012 at 21:27 #

I like the way the two colors of squash look together. This one didn’t excite me, though it was easy and summery. Good luck with the start of the school year.

12. swati September 5, 2012 at 03:37 #

beautiful looking salad. great recipe too! yum

13. gretchen September 5, 2012 at 08:10 #

can’t wait to try this!!! healthy and delicious?! score!