Making peach clafoutis with Kate Hill in The Kitchen at Camont

As I sat in the TGV racing to Agen last Thursday, I was pretty happy to read that this week’s Gastropost mission was PEACHES!  I knew, heading down to spend the weekend in The Kitchen at Camont with Kate Hill, that a trip to the Nerac market would be in order and I was on the hunt for the best peaches I could find.  I was not disappointed:

Pêches blanches, pêches jaunes, pêches Brugnons and pêches plates – they were all there…

Kate suggested we make a clafoutis with the gorgeous fruit – a simple dessert but one that would highlight the sweet peaches in the best possible way.

It’s an easy recipe (you can find a version of it here) using milk, butter, flour, liqueur, fruit, eggs and cornmeal (which gives a nice colour and texture to the finished dessert).

About 10 minutes’ prep and 35-45 minutes in the oven (depending on what you bake it in) makes for an easy, stunning dessert.

Did we like it? Ummm….

The BEST of a Gascon summer market haul.

Disclosure: I was a guest of Kate Hill and Tim Clinch at Camont last weekend for their Natural Light Natural Food Photography workshop. I was not required to post about this workshop and am not being compensated for doing so. All opinions (and photos, believe it or not!!!) are 100% my own.

Follow my French travels on Flickr this summer with my Summer 2012 set of photos.

, , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Making peach clafoutis with Kate Hill in The Kitchen at Camont

1. Brian @ A Thought For Food July 17, 2012 at 07:29 #

You’re absolutely right… this does look incredible. I need to make a dessert tomorrow night for some dinner guests and this is now going on the menu.

2. Mr. Neil July 17, 2012 at 07:48 #

Am very much looking forward to you and Cathy baking this for our first (okay, maybe second) night at our home in Sablet… :-)

3. Calantha July 17, 2012 at 09:10 #

First, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that cast iron!

Second, those peaches look gorgeous.

Third, love that you used them in a clafoutis!

Fourth, so envious of your travels, but so happy you are blogging about them :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 19, 2012 at 07:25 #

Glad to oblige by sharing some of my experiences Calantha. And yes, I loved the cast iron too!

4. Coco July 17, 2012 at 15:02 #

Clafouti’s such a friendly li’l word, isn’t it?

5. Denise July 17, 2012 at 17:12 #

Gorgeous photos! Isn’t Kate’s place such a prop haven! All the gorgeous pieces to shoot with are a dream. Adore the rusted out blue, it is beautiful next to the peaches!!

6. Marina@ Picnic at Marina July 17, 2012 at 18:01 #

My mouth are watering from this post, makes me want to go bake. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story and the recipe. :)

7. Stephanie July 17, 2012 at 22:25 #

You are *killing* me with these blog posts and instagram photos of your food adventures in France. Ahh, I will just have to live vicariously through you.

8. Kathy July 18, 2012 at 12:17 #

Ah, how lovely! I LOVE those saturn peaches, and the nectarines are even better. I’ll be at Camont 11 days and counting and plan on eating my fill! Sorry to have missed you. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

9. Paula July 19, 2012 at 08:33 #

When you go to France you really go to France! What lovely experiences you are having with some wonderful people! Very nice to be *sharing* some of it with you via your posts and photos.

10. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 20, 2012 at 07:28 #

Lovely photos! I have been wanting to make clafoutis for a while, but I never seem to get around to it. I was disappointed that I had run out of cherries (and they are no longer in season here) and was about to abandon the clafoutis until next year… But peaches? That sounds absolutely divine!

11. Mary Hirsch July 21, 2012 at 19:45 #

Love those fat little squatty peaches. We are beginning to see them here. So much more flavorful than many that are for sale here now. Have cast iron, ready to try clafoutis, cannot wait…….

12. Jan @ Family Bites July 22, 2012 at 20:30 #

Your photos are amazing! Good job. This dish looks simple, yet sophisticated at the same time. I love living vicariously through your French adventures this summer.

13. cat August 19, 2012 at 20:46 #

we’ve made plum clafouti and cherry clafouti, but never peach – will have to try it, as this looks luscious!

14. Alice July 14, 2013 at 01:35 #

well this peach one really makes me want to go buy peaches and make it again!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Food Stories From Gascony | Food, People, Places, Trips | The Food Travel CompanyThe Food Travel Company - July 31, 2012

[...] pupil Mardi from eat live travel write inspired a peach cloufoutis story, made with peaches from Nérac and prepped by Kate and her extremely photogenic [...]

2. Mardi’s Savoury Clafoutis » SmarterFitter - August 23, 2012

[...] first experience of clafoutis was a sweet peach clafoutis made by Kate Hill at the Natural Light Natural Food Workshop in Gascony earlier this summer (see [...]