Double chocolate strawberry shortcakes for Baketogether

Yikes, it’s been a long time since I participated in Abby Dodge’s #BakeTogether. Since January in fact. Ahem. Life has a habit of getting in the way of best intentions, doesn’t it?

I do find it ironic that I chose to come back to one of my favourite baking groups when I am in Paris, without all my proper baking equipment. To bake double chocolate strawberry shortcakes, no less!  Yes, I whipped these up for friends as the finale to a dinner of ratatouille and chicken with tapenade and it was the perfect end to a lovely summer meal that definitely scored me points with two of my oldest friends in Paris with its “wow factor”!  And yes, I did reiterate how easy it was!

Though I baked this with no baking powder – only baking soda (yes, I stood perplexed in a number of supermarkets this week looking at packets and ingredients for what seemed like a very long time!), they turned out lovely and light – like a shortbread version of a decadent brownie.  Sandwiched with mascarpone cream studded with strawberries and strawberry syrup, this is such an easy dessert that looks like it took you way longer than it did. My favourite kind!!!

Find Abby’s recipe as well as other takes on it on this month’s Baketogether post!

Follow my French travels on Flickr this summer with my Summer 2012 set of photos – updated regularly!

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Double chocolate strawberry shortcakes for Baketogether

1. Ann Mah July 22, 2012 at 04:26 #

I’m impressed with your away-from-home baking prowess! Love this new twist on an old favorite. P.S. If you do more baking in Paris (I hope you will!) baking powder is “levure chimique” and it comes in little envelopes, pre-packaged like yeast.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 23, 2012 at 08:56 #

Thanks – but levure chimique has bicarbonate of soda in it which is what I call baking soda. #MassConfusion in the baking aisle! And a side note – I have since used baking soda in kitchens in France and it’s called “baking soda” in English. But couldn’t find it for the life of me. Along with a microplane rasp, I will be travelling with baking soda next summer!

2. Tya @ Note Etc. July 22, 2012 at 04:40 #

wow your shortcakes tempting me a Lot!! it’s look delicious and awesome pretty!

very proud to follow you!

cheers

3. Marina@Picnic at Marina July 22, 2012 at 11:20 #

Those are high end shortcakes! Chocolate and strawberries, mmmm and in France?! Aww, I wish I was there… May be one day… :)

4. Spencer July 22, 2012 at 20:42 #

Looks so delicious! I would love to try some. I am sure it tastes great.

5. Michelle July 23, 2012 at 21:15 #

These look perfect, what a killer combo! Subscribed so that even without Buzz, I won’t miss a post!

6. Paula July 23, 2012 at 23:25 #

How perfectly lovely Mardi!

7. Peggy July 24, 2012 at 06:15 #

Sounds like you’re having a lovely time away from home! These shortcakes look like a wonderful chocolatey twist on a classic =)

8. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 16, 2012 at 11:26 #

I am a bit late in responding to this post, but I had to tell you how gorgeous these strawberry shortcakes look. I have never made chocolate shortcakes before… What was I thinking? I have to give that a try ASAP!