French Fridays with Dorie: Olive Oil ice cream

Sorry folks. This one just was not a winner for me. I mean, I like olive oil. I like ice cream. I even like olive oil drizzled on ice cream with a sprinkle of salt. But olive oil IN my ice cream? Not so much.  Uh huh, this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (olive oil ice cream, p 479) was a rare one that just didn’t do it for my tastebuds.

I followed the directions to a “T”. I used the fruitiest olive oil I could find. That I can’t remember the name of since I used the last of it in this dish.  And threw the bottle in the recycle before I noted it down.  I do know it was expensive. It was fabulous olive oil for salad dressing. But not so much in the dessert.  Fruit = sweet, right? And I think this was the problem. The ice cream was WAY too sweet. Fortunately, as I am wont to do, I only made a teeny quantity of this. Because it was not a keeper. Sorry Dorie :(

Some of this might have to do with the fact that it’s the last week of school, I am completely swamped in end of year stuff and just didn’t have time to make this again with a different (perhaps a more peppery) olive oil. I *might* make this again. But I’m not in a rush.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us I have not missed a week since October 2010 and the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand.

Join me in Paris this summer – foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. Only one spot left!!!

, , , , , ,

47 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Olive Oil ice cream

1. A Canadian Foodie June 8, 2012 at 07:21 #

Well, if it is any comfort, it looks delicious. I just made Olive Oil Ice cream a little over a week ago and added the fresh tarragon from my garden – and did garnish it with Fleur de Sel and Olive Oil and found it addictive. Cannot eat much at once: a couple of small scoops – but was crazy over the flavour. I did find the addition of the oil added to the texture, but without the oil drizzled on top, I couldn’t taste it in the ice cream due to the tarragon. But YUM! Heading for Terra Madre in Turino this October and see that there is a artisanal olive oil ice cream maker offering a Tasting at Salone del Gusto which I will be sure to book myself into. That should be enlightening. I am an olive oil fiend. There is no doubt about that!
    Valeire

2. Adriana June 8, 2012 at 07:32 #

I’m sorry to hear you did not enjoy this one as much as you wanted. The way Dorie described the recipe in the book made it sound like this was more of a blank canvas/garnish to a more flavorful treat. I know you’ll find something great to enjoy the leftover ice cream with.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 4, 2012 at 14:00 #

Yes I wish it had been in the instructions to do “add ins”. And there were NO leftovers. I only made a 1/4 recipe…

3. Cakewhiz June 8, 2012 at 07:37 #

That ice cream might not have tasted good but it sure looks beautiful…love the light yellow color and texture :)

4. Mr. Neil June 8, 2012 at 08:01 #

That was a very expensive bottle of French olive oil…I’m bummed it was finished in a disappointing dessert. :-(

Come to think of it…Mr. Neil did not get a chance to even see this – let alone try!

So difficult to make a drinks pairing reco. However, seeing the result, a wee snifter of Cognac strikes me as a suitable recovery plan. Something to warm the innards and soothe the soul.

5. Viviane Bauquet Farre June 8, 2012 at 08:15 #

Olive oil ice cream is a delightful treat. The lusciousness of the ice cream is augmented by the delicate smoothness that the olive oil lends to the texture. Impeccable food photography!

6. Rose June 8, 2012 at 09:32 #

Sorry to hear that. It looks like my oil was a bit darker than yours because it colored my ice cream. I liked this one but didn’t love it so it will probably not be repeated. But I’m happy that I tried it.

Happy last week of school!

7. Trevor June 8, 2012 at 10:01 #

I hope you will try this again with a peppery olive oil. I did and wished it was even pepperier to the point where I wrote in my notes to steep the cream in black pepper the next time. I really do think ‘the heat’ would make it a great accompaniment to the amazing cookies you make here Mardi.

8. Cher June 8, 2012 at 10:27 #

Sorry this wasn’t a hit for you.
    Maybe my herbs de Provence wasn’t as unfortunate an addition as I thought. I came across a version of oo ice cream last night that added toasted pepitas – it does seem like this begs to be added to.

9. Lola June 8, 2012 at 11:27 #

Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. I think it totally depends on the flavor of the olive oil. I lucked out and had one that worked!

10. Maggie June 8, 2012 at 11:34 #

Sorry it wasn’t a good flavor for you but your photos are superb! The light and the contrast of the blue & white is beautiful!

11. Diane Balch June 8, 2012 at 11:49 #

I find it fascinating how many people liked the peppery taste… may family was really repulsed by it… I just found it neither here nor there…

12. Nana June 8, 2012 at 14:43 #

I’m sorry you did not care for this ice cream recipe but it certainly looks delicious. Tricia gave
    Hubby and I a taste of her dish and we enjoyed it. Happy weekend.

13. Eileen June 8, 2012 at 18:44 #

Enh, they can’t all be winners. I wouldn’t bother trying this again with a more peppery oil if you really weren’t wowed by it. There are so many delicious ice creams, why waste time on one that’s just so-so? I have no machine, so I couldn’t participate this week. I really am curious to taste this. Some day…

14. Geoff June 8, 2012 at 23:50 #

My taste buds are not discerning enough to comment credibly… but the pics make the ice cream look fantastic.
    And I have trouble getting my head around salt and pepper in a sweet dish. This may have something to do with seeing my grandfather in the Netherlands many years ago eating a jam on cheese sandwich. Never could fathom it.

15. Elaine June 9, 2012 at 01:16 #

Sorry you didn’t like this one, Mardi. It looks very pretty, though. I used a fruity olive oil from Spain, but it had just a light fruity flavor – not overwhelming at all and paired with chocolate it tasted so good. I do think that I would like to try making it with a regular olive oil to see how it would taste.

16. Sophie June 9, 2012 at 10:09 #

It does sound like to would be a tricky flavour that only a few may enjoy. Anyways, it’s always a good thing to have tried it out and see what happens!

17. Tricia S. June 9, 2012 at 11:23 #

Good for you for keeping your reaction “real”. I bailed on using a spectacular fruity oil because- as usual- I was knocking this out on a Thursday night (after work and before a concert :) I used a fairly non peppery oil that I had on hand and my ice cream was so rich it was unbelievable. I have a sweet tooth and even I was spooning with a melon baller :) This was way better than I thought it would be (code for thought I would hate it….) but I will probably not add it to my short list for the ice cream machine. BTW- your photos are off the charts !!

18. Susan June 9, 2012 at 14:31 #

Well, Mardi, you photographed it beautifully, anyway! This wasn’t our favorite, but I was curious to try it. I used Lime Olive Oil and Don’t think I would have liked it as well with plain.

Enjoy your weekend~!

19. Carolyn June 10, 2012 at 05:46 #

I have to confess, I was a little skeptical when I saw the title. I love olive oil but I am not sure this would do it for me either.

20. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 10, 2012 at 23:00 #

I’ve seen recipes for olive oil ice cream in the past, and I’ve always been somewhat curious, but mostly skeptical… I agree with you, I’m just not sure that I love it as the main flavor in an ice cream. Perhaps an infused/flavored oil would add a bit more dimension to the flavor? I may have to give one a try at some point… Though, it’s not at the top of my list, either. :)

21. Jen Laceda @ Tartine and Apron Strings June 10, 2012 at 23:25 #

Mardi, I appreciate your honesty! Your photos look good, though!

22. Mary Hirsch June 11, 2012 at 23:26 #

It certainly looks good, Mardi, but I am sorry it wasn’t a hit for you. I used Orange Blush Olive Oil and liked the rich and creamy flavor. I don’t know if I would like it peppery. Maybe. There are just so many fabulous gelato, sorbet and ice cream recipes flying around in the blogosphere – why return to something that doesn’t taste great to you? Glad your busy year is coming to an end. Have a good Summer. Some nice trips, heh?

23. Coco June 13, 2012 at 17:36 #

Olive oil ice cream? How different. I’ve gotta try this!

24. Tami June 17, 2012 at 22:18 #

Could be with you on this one Mardi – I make lots of home made ice cream and just the blog title didn’t cut it for me. Maybe one day I’ll give it a go, but hey, no rush!!

25. Teresa August 21, 2014 at 00:41 #

I finally managed to catch up on this one last week. It paired well with the Gâteau Basque, actually.