French Fridays with Dorie: Double chocolate and banana tart

Dear Dorie,

Please forgive me for I have sinned completely changed up the French Fridays with Dorie recipe for Double Chocolate and Banana Tart (pp 467-468). I did plan on making it like it said to in the book, honest. In fact I was going to make it as my own birthday cake. But then a friend said she would bring me a dessert for my birthday party. And then jetlag from 40 hours in the air in the 7 days prior to my birthday struck me. And then – boom – it was Monday. And then it was Tuesday and I was leading a Food Revolution Day cooking class for 60. So, you know, I wasn’t even sure I was going to make any version of this.

On Wednesday, though, I came home and decided that I was just going to get on with it. Not making a giant tart, you realise, but a mini version (for one) as I am wont to do.  But really? Pastry? I didn’t have time for that. (As I said earlier, SO sorry, Dorie). Instead, I made a crust from chocolate “Teddy Grahams” and hazelnuts with a little melted butter. I baked the crust for about 10 minutes at 350˚F.

Then I went to make the ganache. And realised that I didn’t have any whipping cream. And I was too tired to go to the corner store (I know, you, Dorie would have gone to the corner store). Instead, I poured a glass of wine and googled “yogurt ganache” because Greek yogurt is what I had in the fridge. And realised that perhaps all was not lost.

Bananas caramelized and ganache made – FYI – o% Greek yogurt makes FAB ganache (100g semi-sweet chocolate chips melted and slightly cooled mixed with 1/3 cup Greek yogurt), I assembled the tart.  I left it in the fridge, sans banana topping, overnight. Then I garnished with the sliced bananas. But I didn’t glaze them because I thought it looked pretty as it was. Dorie, I am sure you would not serve a tart sans glaze… Sorry!

Considering this was totally not what it was supposed to be, it was pretty darned good. In fact, I will make a version of it again, for sure. Maybe even your version, Dorie! Though I will still only make teeny portion sizes – even with the lightened up crust and the lighter ganache, it was pretty full on rich. But delicious, quand-même.  Dorie, thanks for the inspiration. Great flavours! And next week, I promise to stick to the recipe!

Love, Mardi

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Did you know? I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. Only two spots left!!!

Stand up for REAL FOOD with me on May 19th. Find out how here.
*** It’s my THIRD blog birthday! To celebrate, I am giving away a copy of Wini Moranville’s “Bonne Femme Cookbook” – open to anyone, anywhere.  Contest closes on Tuesday May 22nd at 9pm EST and winner will be announced Wednesday May 23rd. Good luck!

, , , , , ,

38 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Double chocolate and banana tart

1. Liz May 18, 2012 at 06:42 #

Your version was highly inspired by Dorie…I’m amazed you found time to even bake your mini version!!! It’s beautiful, Mardi~

2. Jan May 18, 2012 at 07:31 #

I absolutely love that you used Teddy Grahams for the crust! Genius move! Those little cookies are tasty :) And I would have never thought to use Greek yogurt in the ganache! Do you happen to know how many grams you used (I know I’m very demanding considering how busy/tired you were)? I’m curious to know the ratio of chocolate to yogurt, that’s all. I know, I’m a nerd.

3. Cher May 18, 2012 at 08:08 #

I like your crust version far more than the original. In fact, I think I like all of your change ups better than the original :-)
    Have a great weekend!

4. Mr. Neil May 18, 2012 at 08:33 #

I was just surprised we had Teddy Grahams hiding in our – child-free – home! ;-)

Even this mini tart was a more than ample dessert for Mardi and I to share. For a jet-lagged, exhausted and tired attempt, mighty impressive. Heck, impressive at any rate.

I’m nursing a cold of some sort, no doubt exacerbated by having a 21-hour day flying our west and back (yes, in ne day) just days after the trans-oceanic adventure…so no wine pairing.

I did immediately think of a Beaujolais Nouveau, of all things. As it’s not the right time of year, a simple fresh non-Cru Beaujolais would still be nice, or possibly an Alsace Gewurztraminer. If those are a bit too odd for you, well a nice glass of Lillet Blanc. (Granted the latter meant more for apero, but…)

5. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 18, 2012 at 09:53 #

I don’t care so much for bananas (other than to eat them plain or with fresh fruit)… BUT, Darron would absolutely LOVE this. He’s always ordering banana things at restaurants because I don’t make them at home. Perhaps this will have to be a treat for him for his first (soon to be) Father’s Day. :)

6. Paula May 18, 2012 at 10:02 #

I for one am very happy that you deviated from this FFWD recipe. This tart looks absolutely delicious Mardi.

7. K A B L O O E Y May 18, 2012 at 14:10 #

Licking. The. Screen. That looks so good, Mardi, and I want to make the ganache now. I do have the greek yogurt, but may have to make a chocolate chip run. Hmmm. Kid’s sick, but she looks stable. What age am I going to start leaving her alone? Seven? Nah. I’ll have to delay gratification a little bit. If she weren’t sick, though, it’d be tempting. (Actually, if she weren’t sick, she’d be in school and I’d be eating ganache with a spoon right about now.)

8. Steph@stephsbitebybite May 18, 2012 at 14:26 #

I could eat this for breakfast!!

9. Nana May 18, 2012 at 16:23 #

I think there was more “thought” put into substituting what you had available, than to the recipe.
    Fantastic job, and I agree, Gewurztraminer would be a fantastic match, or perhaps, a
    little Vin Santo. Great job. Tricia and I each made a different version, each turned out well.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 1, 2012 at 18:40 #

Yes well the recipe is pretty easy, right? Seems like everyone went a different route with this one and it worked out all round!

10. jo@jocooks.com May 18, 2012 at 16:51 #

This looks so good, I would love a slice right about now.

11. Heather May 18, 2012 at 20:38 #

beautiful – and I will use yogurt next time for sure!

12. amanda @ fake ginger May 18, 2012 at 22:10 #

So funny! And so creative! I mean, Teddy Grahams and greek yogurt? I would have never thought of that but it looks so delicious! I need to start thinking outside of the box when I’m out of ingredients.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 1, 2012 at 18:39 #

Who knew indeed ;) I’m trying to use up a few things from the pantry so the Teddy Grahams were calling my name..

13. Sarah, Maison Cupcake May 19, 2012 at 04:15 #

Despite my travels in France, I wouldn’t have described this as being particularly French but I guess Dorie knows best! In any case I love the look of it!

14. Rose May 19, 2012 at 08:54 #

Great post. I think Dorie will forgive you. And seriously, what did we do before google! I had no idea such a think as yogurt ganache existed. But all of your substitutions and work-arounds look delicious and that is what counts in the end.

15. AikoVenus May 19, 2012 at 11:02 #

It looks so pretty and yummy – I would love to have a slice, hehe! ^^

16. Katja of Skimbaco May 19, 2012 at 16:33 #

I’m sure Dorie will understand :) That looks so good!

17. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen May 20, 2012 at 05:03 #

Congrats on your Revolutionary cooking class – looks like it was a fun day. A belated Happy Birthday – love how you’ve rocked the choc n banana tart world!

18. Kim Bee May 20, 2012 at 12:08 #

Happy Birthday Mardi.

This looks completely incredible and I think Dorie will forgive you completely. If you saved her a slice.

19. Maggie May 20, 2012 at 14:44 #

Greek yogurt is so great, isn’t it? You can use it in so many things! Your little tart looks so cute and you deserved it after your busy week!

20. Betsy May 21, 2012 at 20:54 #

Your “lighter” version looks awesome. I’m sure Dorie will applaud (and forgive) your creativity.