French Fridays with Dorie: Almond flounder meunière

It’s going to be a short and sweet French Fridays with Dorie this week. I’ve been super busy with Food Revolution Day planning, Food Bloggers of Canada business and work but I managed to fit in this week’s recipe (Almond Flounder Meunière, p 290) last weekend when I invited a friend over for dinner, ensuring I had a square meal amidst all the baking I was doing!

So yeah, the real story here is that I made fish. I don’t even much like fish. But I am trying to learn. I couldn’t find flounder for this so I used catfish. It had a nice, mild flavour so for a learning-to-love-fish person like myself, it was perfect. I loved the crunchy ground almond coating and next time (yes, there will be a next time!) I will coat the entire fish – the recipe suggested just coating one of the sides (though in Dorie’s header note, it speaks of coating both sides of the fish but the recipe does not call for it. Hmmm..).

Th almonds, the lemon zest and juice work well with the browned butter and it was a flavourful dish, prepared in just minutes.  Loved the toasted almonds (I couldn’t find flakes, so I used slivers) as it added a nice crunch to the texture too. A winner. And for me to say that, it means a lot!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!  And guess what – you’re in luck because the recipe for this week can be found here.

Did you know? I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. Only 2 spots left!!!

Stand up for REAL FOOD with me on May 19th. Find out how here.

, , , , , , ,

27 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Almond flounder meunière

1. Jill Colonna May 4, 2012 at 06:27 #

Sometimes the simplest of dishes is the best. This looks wonderful, Mardi, and even if you’re not much into fish I can imagine you loving this one. Great touch with the toasted almond slivers.

2. Belinda @zomppa May 4, 2012 at 07:02 #

Real food is what it’s about!! This looks like a wonderful Friday evening meal!

3. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen May 4, 2012 at 07:31 #

I like the way you portrayed the fish and its condiments still in the pan, it’s looks so rustic. Wow, you’ve been a busy bee but glad you managed to fit in this meal and best of all, share it with a friend!

4. Cher May 4, 2012 at 08:10 #

I coated both sides of the fish – but I wasn’t reading the directions :-(
    You’ve made a bland looking food look rather lovely – well done.

5. Marina@Picnic at Marina May 4, 2012 at 08:32 #

Perfect meal for a hungry person. Simple yet delicious!

6. Paula May 4, 2012 at 09:25 #

I don’t eat fish but I do cook it for my family. This is one lovely looking filet of catfish!

7. Kiri W. May 4, 2012 at 09:46 #

Gorgeous! I love flounder, and what a beautiful, bright way to prepare it!

8. cat May 4, 2012 at 12:25 #

this looks like a perfect way to cook what can otherwise be a fairly bland fish. and really, browned butter improves nearly everything. :)

9. Alicia May 4, 2012 at 19:54 #

It was delicious! A Dorie success.

10. Betsy May 4, 2012 at 21:28 #

Glad to hear that all that buttery, nutty coating made the fish something you enjoyed. Looks great!

11. Hi, Mardi!
    I just signed up for FBC! My blog is 100% about food now…and food styling and food photography :) Hope I can be part of the organization!

The fish looks good! Dorie will be proud!

12. Rose May 5, 2012 at 06:48 #

Wow, rave reviews considering that you are learning to love fish. I really enjoyed this one too, thought I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get such a nice color on mine. Next time I think I need to let the pan get hotter first. And yes, there will be a next time for me too.

13. Pauline May 5, 2012 at 12:06 #

Fish is great if you’re pressed for time and I love cooking with almonds too. Have a great time in Paris, now have major foodie envy!

14. Elin May 7, 2012 at 04:24 #

Glad you love this fish dish. I love the crunchy nutty crust on the fish…it was so good that I am going to make this again. Yours look great with it still in the pan. Beautiful pictures too. Have a nice day!

15. Trevor May 7, 2012 at 23:03 #

Short and sweet perhaps but just lovely! I have this on deck for later in the week but methinks I’ll coat both sides. I can’t think of one reason not to! Good job!

16. Maggie May 8, 2012 at 08:37 #

Seems like everyone had a really busy week (me included!) but your fish looks delicious!

17. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 8, 2012 at 20:42 #

That is one lovely dish… And, you know I’m not much of a fan of seafood! I love the color that the lemon adds to the photos. Stunning!