Tuesdays with Dorie: Lemon Loaf Cake

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie was hosted by Truc of Treats and Michelle of The Beauty of Life.  Lemon loaf cake is like a pound cake, intensely flavoured with lemon zest.  It’s also the cake that finally convinced me to throw out my loaf pan and buy a new one. So sad, I love the “weathered” look of my old one :(

You’ll see the edges are kind of dark and that’s not just shadows in the pan there. Whilst the inside was lovely and moist and a bright yellow colour, the outsides were a nasty dark dark brown (we cut them off and it was just fine!).  I’d been trying to imagine that my pan was not a problem, but after a few loaves where this happened, then this one, I finally caved and bought a whole lot of new baking trays and pans (those Christmas gift cards finally came in handy!)

I definitely enjoyed the flavour of this cake but it was nothing special – I see over on Tuesdays with Dorie, people have glazed this with pretty lemon glaze – looks lovely.  Unfortunately I didn’t do this – might have made it just that bit more out of the ordinary.  I’ll remember this one though because it was SO easy to make (took 5 minutes to whip together) and made the  house smell amazing.

Join us cooking through Dorie’s “Baking with Julia” in 2012 – read the rules and join Tuesdays with Dorie here.

Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, you know you want to.  It’s a beautiful book.

* Congratulations to Meredith who won my illy giveaway!  Meredith, I will be in touch to get your details soon!

, , , , , ,

36 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Lemon Loaf Cake

1. Cher April 17, 2012 at 08:06 #

Very lovely :-)

I agree that this did need just a little something extra – the glaze helped. If I had a do-over, i would have added some lemon curd.

Enjoy your new pans.

2. Paula April 17, 2012 at 09:17 #

Sorry you weren’t too excited about this one. Maybe spreading Nutella over a slice or two? At least it prompted you to buy new bake ware :)

3. Mr. Neil April 17, 2012 at 10:23 #

Nice. Unremarkable, but nice.

4. Heather April 17, 2012 at 15:39 #

looks great! I tweaked mine a bit, but it’s still baking. Smells good though

5. Kiri W. April 17, 2012 at 16:49 #

Looks like a delicious treat! Too bad about the loaf pan – I know how it feels to cling on to your favorite gadgets

6. Liz April 17, 2012 at 17:45 #

Oh, I love the idea of a glaze, too! I’ll have to pay more attention to the TwD site :) Your slices look perfect…congrats on the new bakeware~

7. Maggie April 17, 2012 at 17:46 #

I had the same kind of “meh” response. I wish I had done a glaze or something but like you said, it was so simple and easy that making it again with a few tweaks would be a breeze. I’m in the same boat as you with the baking pans, I really need to buy some new ones. Hope you had fun shopping! :)

8. Stephanie April 17, 2012 at 18:10 #

I am hanging on to some glass bread pans that are pretty old and suddenly have been causing every single loaf that I make to stick horribly to them (even though the recipes never did before). Its so hard to make the switch to new ones which is silly because they aren’t that costly. Your lemon loaf looks good even if you thought it was just ok :)

9. smarkies April 17, 2012 at 20:19 #

ohh… it looks lovely! It did need something extra – I went with lemon curd with mine.

10. Helene April 17, 2012 at 21:42 #

I haven’t made this loaf before but it surely looks amazing. I think I would add a lemon glaze on top.

11. Teresa April 17, 2012 at 21:57 #

We enjoyed this toasted, with a dollop of lemon curd (from Around My French Table).

A baking pan shopping spree sounds like a good trade for the loss of an old favourite pan, I’d have to say. :)

12. Im At Home Baking April 18, 2012 at 01:09 #

We enjoyed it and ate it plain. Next time I might make a simple glaze of sorts though. Looks wonderful!

13. Susan April 18, 2012 at 02:12 #

I agree – it was a nice basic, but really needed some help to be better than that.

14. Erin E April 18, 2012 at 13:09 #

Sorry to hear about your pan, your pictures look great! It was very easy, but I wasn’t impressed, the lemon curd glaze I used was excellent though!

15. Ferda April 18, 2012 at 17:59 #

Beautiful photos..

I agree with you.. Although I like the flavor of it, it was nothing special.. I also found it too dense to eat alone.. I served mine with vanilla flavored sweetened whipped cream and berries as dessert course and it worked well that way.

16. Renee - Kudos Kitchen April 18, 2012 at 18:11 #

5 minutes to whip up? That’s all? Sheesh. Why in the world did I opt out of this weeks recipe?
    Yours looks really pretty Mardi. I’ve read a few other posts where people were a little disappointed that this didn’t pack a larger lemon punch. Too bad. I like my lemon desserts to pucker me up.

17. Aubergine @ Kitchen Vignettes April 19, 2012 at 00:24 #

Lemon pound cake: one of my all-time favourites! I really need to join the Tuesdays with Dorie! Sounds lovely. Glad to have found your blog via the food network!

18. Julia April 19, 2012 at 04:57 #

I had the same reaction to this recipe. Love the photos!

19. Betsy April 19, 2012 at 07:54 #

I hate having to replace cookware. Don’t you think it should just do its job as expected? I liked meeting this simple cake recipe. I played around with flavored syrups brushed on top of the loaves. It gave it a simple dressing up.

20. Barry C. Parsons April 22, 2012 at 08:51 #

Gorgeous looking cake! Just wondering if you have a link to your Pinterest Boards. I’d like to follow them.

Barry