French Fridays with Dorie: Navarin Printanier

It’s a short and sweet French Fridays with Dorie this week.  I made this week’s recipe – Navarin Printanier (pp 281 – 282 ) over the Easter weekend and took a few shortcuts since we seemed to be cooking for most of that weekend – by the time I got to this, I was exhausted. Fortunately, my shortcuts yielded pretty tasty results. I made this with a tiny amount of lamb – about a pound which was enough for three small serves. Because it was such a small amount, I made this entire dish on the stovetop, simmering for about 45 minutes to an hour at a very low temperature as opposed to starting it on the stove and finishing it in the oven.

And yes, those are edamame in there. Once I was ready to add what should have been peas, it was too late to get to the store so the only colour I had to add was in the form of edamame. I also added some frozen corn for even more spring colour.

We liked this but both of us found the tomato flavour a little overpowering. It was definitely better the next day, as most stews are. I am glad to know I managed to change up the method at a pinch and this didn’t have to take most of the afternoon. Though one day I might make it again in a larger quantity and do the stovetop/ oven cooking method.  I imagine it would be one of those dishes that fill the house with wonderful smells.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Did you know? I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. Only 2 spots left!!!

Stand up for REAL FOOD with me on May 19th. Find out how here.

, , , , ,

43 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Navarin Printanier

1. Cher April 27, 2012 at 08:03 #

This was an easy one to change around & it was definitely better the next day.
    I we ended up using about half of the meat called for (ok, so I used beef…) & added in extra vegetables to balance it.

2. Paula April 27, 2012 at 08:46 #

Was curious when I saw the title of this in my email. I had not heard of Navarin Printanier before. Even though you found the tomato flavor a little overpowering at first, glad to read that you did enjoy it even more the next day. I’m always learning new things about food when I visit here. Have a great weekend.

3. Elin April 27, 2012 at 11:01 #

I think it is a great idea to add edamame to the stew :) mmmm I guess it must be good. For me I used leg of lamb and add in fresh Holland peas. It was the best stew I have eaten !
    Have a nice weekend!

4. Justin April 27, 2012 at 14:11 #

What do you attribute to the reason stews are better the next day?

5. Katja of Skimbaco April 27, 2012 at 14:51 #

I can’t believe I missed the Paris trip info before. Now I REALLY want to come.

6. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen April 27, 2012 at 14:58 #

A foodie tour of Paris sounds delightful. Love your take on the stew, particularly the edamame and doesn’t navarin printanier sound so much more sophisticated than stew :)

7. Mary Hirsch April 27, 2012 at 19:26 #

I think the tomato flavoring would not have been so overpowering if you’d had more meat to absorb it. I loved that you added corn and edamame, very innovative. Your stew actually looked delicious and how wise of you to take some shortcuts.

8. pamkaren April 27, 2012 at 19:32 #

Lovely photo with the unique silverware! Adding corn looks like a good idea too.

9. Gracie April 27, 2012 at 19:35 #

I love that you added edamame and corn…yum. Your stew looks redder than mine, I wonder if I added less than I needed…hmmm. Looks wonderful, I’m sure it was delicious.

10. Maggie April 27, 2012 at 20:23 #

I really wasn’t feeling like leftovers tonight and in fact just ordered a pizza but I think I might have to heat up a little bowl now and try it out to see if mine tastes better the next day! I love your added veggies – this was a good recipe to experiment with.

11. Eileen April 27, 2012 at 20:35 #

The edamame looks pretty. I like the shade of green against the dark orange broth. Glad it worked with your shortcuts. I’m never brave enough to mess around with recipes.

12. Betsy April 27, 2012 at 21:39 #

This stew definitely needed that touch of green, so the edamame was perfect. It’s funny, I forgot there was tomato paste in there at all. The flavor wasn’t at all pronounced. But your stew was much redder than mine, so you must have added more than I did. Nice stew.

13. Kathy April 27, 2012 at 21:57 #

Love the edamame…it adds such pretty color to your stew! We really loved this in my house…quite delicious!

14. Peggy April 27, 2012 at 23:36 #

Great color — I added sherry and it seemed to temper the tomato flavor.

15. Trae C April 28, 2012 at 04:13 #

Stunning photos of the Navarin Printanier. Wow, your foodie tour of Paris sounds like so much fun. I wish I could go, but I’m afraid my toddler wouldn’t hear of it. =)

16. sanya April 28, 2012 at 08:24 #

Gorgeous looking stew! Love the colours!

17. Rose April 28, 2012 at 09:17 #

Looks great, very colorful. And edamame sounds like a perfect substitute for peas.

18. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen April 28, 2012 at 10:47 #

Adding the edamame was a super idea, they brightened up the stew! I’m glad you took some shortcuts while cooking this, because I was strapped for time and did the same :)

19. Trevor April 28, 2012 at 11:18 #

I wish I could go on your tour! Sounds fun. These picks look lovely. I am making this today and I have some edamame. One guess what I’ll do with them. Thanks!

20. Andi April 28, 2012 at 17:41 #

Want NOW…love any stew-like substance – yum!

21. Liz April 29, 2012 at 18:02 #

Beautifully done, Mardi! I’ll have to play catch up with this one later~

22. Alice April 30, 2012 at 08:26 #

I thought about using corn too but passed that up at the last minute. Yours looks great!

23. Mark May 1, 2012 at 14:11 #

Great work. I have been looking for a good lamb recipe. The dish looks perfect too, great addition with the adamame.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks