French Fridays with Dorie: Asparagus and bits of bacon

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – asparagus with bacon bits – was a winner for me.  I spent last weekend in New York City at the International Association of Culinary Professionals conference and returned home late Sunday night for what seemed like 2 seconds’ sleep before heading off to work on Monday where I spent the day with teachers from Ohio and Australia observing me, followed by the first session of this term’s cooking club with Massimo Bruno. Needless to say by the time I got home on Monday, I was completely exhausted and was contemplating cereal for dinner. Fortunately, this recipe came to the rescue.

It’s nothing fancy – asparagus lightly steamed then coated in bacon with some onions and walnut oil and lemon zest.  But pretty brilliant as a meal instead of cereal when you are too tired to really cook.

I actually enjoyed this right out of the pan the night I cooked it, then the next day, leftovers for lunch (it was still wonderful – luckily I had not over cooked the asparagus so it reheated nicely and still retained a certain “snap factor”).

I’m not going to wax poetic about how amazing this was. You will just need to make it yourself. Suffice to say I could eat this every night for dinner. Plus, it’s a great way to get Mr Neil your kids to eat some veggies ;)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Did you know? I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. We’ve only got 2 spots left!!!

, , , , ,

39 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Asparagus and bits of bacon

1. Jill Colonna April 6, 2012 at 07:44 #

Mardi, this certainly beats a bowl of cereal. Shattered but bringing on the asparagus and bacon? C’est la classe – perhaps not from the pan, but you’re a classy dude.

2. Cher April 6, 2012 at 07:56 #

Glad you were able to get Mr. Neil to eat his veggies :-)
    This looks lovely – and you are right, it was amazing.

3. Alice April 6, 2012 at 08:30 #

LOL! :) I was saying I could make this for lunch pretty often, but its a simple and fun side dish for a dinner party too!

4. Paula April 6, 2012 at 08:35 #

I love asparagus, never thought to cook it with bacon which is surprising actually. I’d have bacon with everything if I could ;)

5. Rose April 6, 2012 at 09:09 #

Sounds like quite a week. I was also grateful for an easy (and delicious) one this week. Yours looks lovely just sitting in the pan.

6. Peggy April 6, 2012 at 09:59 #

Great photos, love that i can see the zest.

7. Kiri W. April 6, 2012 at 12:16 #

Mmm, looks beautiful! I am a huge asparagus fan, I am sure I could stomach some bacon with it ;)

8. Jessica of My Baking Heart April 6, 2012 at 12:23 #

Beautiful… so bright! Glad you enjoyed this one so much. Happy Easter!

9. claire @ the realistic nutritionist April 6, 2012 at 12:56 #

Bacon makes this world a better place to be. LOVE this. So simply yet so flavorful!

10. Heather April 6, 2012 at 13:22 #

Exactly – my kiddos gobbled it up, and they NEVER eat asparagus! Happy Easter
    again – AMAZING photos!!

11. Maggie April 6, 2012 at 14:37 #

Great pictures! Wish I would have thought to put zest in mine. Looks beautiful!

12. Liz April 6, 2012 at 19:34 #

LOL…I tried the bacon with Brussels sprouts with Bill, but I couldn’t win him over. Perfectly cooked, Mardi… Have a wonderful weekend!!!

13. Gracie April 6, 2012 at 20:39 #

I was happy to find this recipe too. My new go to for a side or a light meal.

14. Tricia S. April 6, 2012 at 20:52 #

That is some schedule you have- I got tired just thinking about your week :) Seriously, this was such a perfect Dorie dish for a busy week. Kudos to you for bypassing the cereal. Nice to hear about all your exciting adventures and glad you were able to enjoy Dorie’s simple keeper of a recipe too. Nana and I both enjoyed it and my 15 year old declared it to be favorite Dorie dish yet. Yay !

15. Words Of Deliciousness April 6, 2012 at 22:38 #

Sounds like you are a very busy person. I love this asparagus. Bacon always adds so much flavor to anything you cook.

16. Tya @ Note Etc. April 7, 2012 at 01:17 #

that asparagus looks amazing love the color, and I think this meal much better than a bowl of cereal :)

cheers

17. sanya April 7, 2012 at 08:07 #

Stunning looking photos!
    It really is the perfect dish to cook when you’ve had a long tiring week!

18. Dessert By Candy April 7, 2012 at 08:53 #

Love the vibrant green colour of your photos. This dish sure beats cereal for dinner by a long shot! What a busy week you had but so productive. Hopefully you’ll have a more relaxing time the next few days to catch your breath. ;)

19. Betsy April 7, 2012 at 17:56 #

How decadent to eat this right out of the pan! Much better than cereal, I hope.

20. penny aka jeroxie April 7, 2012 at 21:24 #

I need some of this. Been binge eating!

21. jules @ bananamondaes April 8, 2012 at 03:11 #

Great pictures…I’ve never tried it with bacon, only ever poached eggs. Delicious.

22. Food is our religion April 8, 2012 at 22:06 #

My mum makes that dish! Simple, easy and delish!

23. Marsha @ The Harried Cook April 8, 2012 at 22:29 #

That looks so delicious! Everything’s better with bacon, right?!

24. Mr. Neil April 9, 2012 at 07:56 #

Two of my favourite foods – dead pig and asparagus. A delightful combination…enhanced by a glass of Spanish rose.

25. Jen Laceda @ Tartine and Apron Strings April 10, 2012 at 23:40 #

love asparagus! also because they signal “Spring!”

26. Confessions of a Culinary Diva April 12, 2012 at 20:14 #

Another tasty dish from you! I would have loved to have attended the IACP – maybe next year!