French Fridays with Dorie: Saint-Germain-des-Prés onion biscuits

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – Saint Germain des Prés onion biscuits – was clearly not meant to be. Unless, of course you live in Australia where the above  ^^^^^ is a perfectly acceptable rendition of what one might consider a “biscuit”. However, Dorie was not referring to what North Americans might call a “cookie” or a “cracker”, her recipe is for those fluffy bready things that Aussies might call a sort of a “scone”. Confused? You should be.

First off, I am not huge fan of biscuits (sorry food blog world).  But Dorie’s recipe seemed so easy that I figured what could go wrong. I mean, as you will know if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram – I’m eatlivtravwrite there as well – or live with me, I have made SIX batches of macarons in the past three weeks. With little or no issue.  I figured I could handle some flour and butter and milk, right? WRONG!

Seriously – what IS WRONG with me????  How could I mess this up?  I might have rolled the dough a week bit thin (that was purposeful – I was going to make breakfast sandwiches with them and wanted them thinner) but they never ever rose at all. Not one millimetre.  And they were crunchy. Kind of like shortbreads. Normally, I would be mortified and be back in the kitchen trying to get them right. If they were macarons, I definitely would have. But I don’t care for biscuits enough to have tried again. So I didn’t. And I had a wee glass of rosé with my “onion crackers”. And it was delicious. And I was ok with that.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Speaking of FRENCH, did you see my latest article for Food Network Canada – all about cooking classes in Paris!

AND – did you know – I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here.

, , , , , , , ,

51 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Saint-Germain-des-Prés onion biscuits

1. Adriana March 9, 2012 at 06:12 #

Your crackers look so pretty! ;-)

I can relate to your failure this week. To date I have never made a biscuit that rose properly or didn’t look like a little hockey puck. A true shame – I love biscuits!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 19:22 #

Sigh. Thankfully I am not that big a fan but it’s frustrating that they didn’t work out!

2. Liz March 9, 2012 at 06:13 #

Your “crackers” looks fabulous, Mardi ;) And your food styling is impeccable as always! So sorry, though, that they didn’t rise…how frustrating!

3. The Mistress of Spices March 9, 2012 at 07:12 #

I think they look gorgeous, even if they didn’t come out as intended. I can’t wait for our shipment – with all my cookbooks including Dorie’s – to arrive so that I can get into FFWD again!

4. sanya March 9, 2012 at 07:30 #

We can pretend you planned this super original take on Dorie’s recipe!
    I think they look great and am excited at how they turned out for you!
    Mine didn’t rise but just looked like flat pancakes, so very impressed with your “crackers!”

5. Trix March 9, 2012 at 07:52 #

Weird! I am so curious as to what happened … it reminds me of a time I was trying to make a soft kind of flatbread and it turned into these giant crispy crackery things. To this day I do not know what I did … just go with it, right? : )

6. Cher March 9, 2012 at 08:00 #

Oh, Mardi! They still look pretty. I truly hope you were able to enjoy a glass of wine with them.
    Considering the magic you create with macarons, I think you can safely relegate these to bottom of the pile and never look back.

7. Mr. Neil March 9, 2012 at 09:34 #

I think the perfect wine pairing for these are….anything that soothes the soul of a frustrated baker. ;-)

8. Emilia March 9, 2012 at 09:47 #

They may not be “proper” biscuits, but they certainly do look delicious! Why is it that biscuits are so tricky? For something that doesn’t taste that magical, they sure are prima donnas! If you hadn’t said that they were supposed to rise, I would never have guessed, they’re still gorgeous :)

9. Kara March 9, 2012 at 09:53 #

Maybe the baking powder lost its activeness?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 9, 2012 at 10:42 #

I don’t think it’s that – I have used it in a ton of other recipes lately where it’s been totally fine.

10. Krissy March 9, 2012 at 10:26 #

I think your onion crackers look good…I think you’ve come up with a new, original recipe! After baking mine, which did not puff up as well as I’d have liked, I decided to toss my baking powder…time for a new can. But, honestly, I like your crackers.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 19:20 #

Nope don’t think so – it has been used and successfully in many other recipes recently…

11. Kiri W. March 9, 2012 at 10:43 #

These look great and I love the use of onion :) Looks like another winning recipe from this series!

12. Trevor March 9, 2012 at 10:51 #

Ha! When things like this happen to me I just rebrand them. Call them “french crackers”. I’ll bet these were tasty if not so fluffy. Thanks for posting though. I wish we would all share more of the things that don’t work out so great.

13. Rochelle (@AcquiredLife) March 9, 2012 at 10:59 #

Oh, Mardi, who cares if they fluffed up? Crackers are plenty good and you can do so many things with them that biscuits just don’t work right with. Besides I like crunchy and these look delicious, I mean.. onion and cracker.. add a little goat cheese on top and you’re good to go :D

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 19:19 #

Oh yes, now goat cheese would have been good with these. I know though it I *tried* to make these like this I would never succeed. Sigh!

14. Heather March 9, 2012 at 11:39 #

your {biscuits} look fantastic!

15. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 9, 2012 at 15:24 #

Great to see the post anyway! Nice to know that even great bloggers like you mess up every once in a while :)

16. Rose March 9, 2012 at 15:25 #

Your crackers look delicious, certainly more photogenic than my biscuits.

17. Eileen March 9, 2012 at 15:53 #

Weird! Mine came out thin and dry, but not THAT thin and dry. lol Who needs biscuits when your a master of macarons, anyway? Oh man, I love me some macarons. I’m impressed!

18. KarenP March 9, 2012 at 17:11 #

If I didn’t know those were supposed to be biscuits I would think they looked wonderful! I’m sorry these didn’t work out for you, but at least you enjoyed some of your “crackers” with a glass of wine.

19. Kathy March 9, 2012 at 17:23 #

Onion crackers sound fabulous!! Add a glass of wine and what could be better!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 19:17 #

Yes they sound good, don’t they! Let’s just pretend like they are meant to be like that!

20. Confessions of a Culinary Diva March 9, 2012 at 18:27 #

Interesting. I also purposely rolled my dough thinner, but did get a nice little rise. I wanted to use mine more like a piece of toast or bread. They look nice and flaky like a great little cocktail cookie. Just add wine, champagne or cocktail!

21. Mary Hirsch March 9, 2012 at 19:51 #

Welcome. I love to have a sister-in-baking-disasters to moan and groan with. Although I had no trouble with this week’s baking power biscuits, I have had my share of baking disasters. I didn’t even attempt rugelach.

22. Betsy March 9, 2012 at 21:20 #

Well, they look pretty. They are so flat, it made me wonder whether your baking powder has expired? Or you forgot to add? I guess if you’re not a huge biscuit fan, you’re not going to be trying these again. Oh, well. On to next week!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 9, 2012 at 21:49 #

No my baking powder definitely has not expired as I explained above. And I definitely added enough. Oh well. You can’t win them all, right?

23. Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 9, 2012 at 23:14 #

I love these and think they turned out just fine – the flavors sound delicious and the crumbly texture looks fabulous! I would gladly take them off your hands :)

24. Maggie March 9, 2012 at 23:42 #

Your pictures are really lovely & I would definitely eat those crackers! I don’t think it’s a failure at all.

25. Lola March 10, 2012 at 02:28 #

Love the looks of your biscuit crackers! Wonder what happened? Your foodie tour of Paris sounds fabulous!

26. Mrs Bear January 6, 2014 at 08:56 #

I had a similar problem when I made these biscuits yesterday. Flat and stodgy rather than tall and fluffy. Considered that my baking powder was out of date, but it wasn’t. This was the first recipe I’ve tried from Around My French Table and hope that the next one won’t be so disappointing. Plan on making the Lamb and Dried Apricot Tangine for family next Sunday. Slightly worried.

• Mardi Michels January 6, 2014 at 09:52 #

Well, as you can see, I’ve made a recipe from AMFT every week since October 2010 and can assure you that there are very few recipes that don’t “work”. Good luck!

• Mrs Bear January 7, 2014 at 08:55 #

I’ve just cottoned on to the focus of your website. I was directed here through a Google search for how others fared with the biscuit recipe and was focused on that. Please for the connection though. Great food blog.