French Fridays with Dorie: Shrimp & grapefruit salad

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was supposed to be Crab and Grapefruit Salad (pp 134-135) but when I came to make it, I realised that I had shrimp in the freezer and figured it would be just as good.  I’m all about using up what we have in the fridge right now so I made quite a few changes to this recipe but it’s all good. It was a perfect lunch for one on a hot sunny March afternoon (yes, really!).

My salad consisted of grapefruit segments and juice, shredded mint, cooked shrimp, red and yellow bell peppers, scallions, lemon zest and lemon juice and a splash of olive oil. So so easy to whip up and I imagine this would be great with blood oranges too!

So so good. Light and sweet with enough acid and savoury flavours to make it definitely not a dessert. I’ll be making this again because I always have all these ingredients on hand. What a great “find” :)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Did you know? I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here. We’ve only got 3 spots left!!!

, , , , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Shrimp & grapefruit salad

1. Mary Hirsch March 30, 2012 at 06:28 #

The shrimp addition was just as pretty in the presentation as the lump crabmeat. You’re right, we always have shrimp in the freeezer. Lump crabmeat – not so often! I thought this was a quick and easy salad also. Elegant, in its way. Tasty, for sure. Think I will give the shrimp angle a go. Mary

2. Liz March 30, 2012 at 06:40 #

Just gorgeous, Mardi!!! Love the idea of using shrimp, too!

3. Cher March 30, 2012 at 07:58 #

Mardi – so pretty :-) This was a really enjoyable salad for us too.

4. Paula March 30, 2012 at 08:22 #

I like the bright and appealing colours of this and my husband, well he would just like to eat it:)

5. Rose March 30, 2012 at 09:32 #

Gorgeous colors Mardi! You did a great job of capturing how beautiful this salad was.

6. Joanne March 30, 2012 at 09:51 #

The colors are so bright, happy, and warm. It makes me think summer party picnic salad.

7. Elaine March 30, 2012 at 10:25 #

My husband thought this would be great with shrimp as well. I will have to tell him your tried it and loved it and will definitely make it this way next. Your photos captured the wonderful colors of this salad, Mardi.

8. Kiri W. March 30, 2012 at 10:28 #

Mmm, looks very refreshing! I am a bit scared of so much grapefruit, but it looks like a vibrant salad!

9. idiosyncratic eye March 30, 2012 at 10:46 #

Very French served in a little verrine! :)

10. Heather March 30, 2012 at 12:26 #

Your pictures blow me away each week – stunning!

11. Maggie March 30, 2012 at 12:41 #

Blood oranges are a great idea! I bet that would taste amazing. Shrimp in the salad looks divine to me but I never get to cook with is because my husband has an allergy. Oh well, whenever I go home my dad and I make everything with shrimp so I usually get my fill about 3 times a year! :)

12. Adriana March 30, 2012 at 13:15 #

I love the vibrant colors in your salad. Next time I should not nix the peppers!

13. Gracie March 30, 2012 at 14:40 #

I was thinking of using shrimp too. I am bringing this to a potluck in a few weeks.

14. Dessert By Candy March 30, 2012 at 15:34 #

I used shrimp too, fellow Torontonian! Instead of chopping them into small pieces, I halved them horizontally so the salad looked more generous than it really is. ;) I can just imagine using this as filling for an asian rice paper salad roll! The top photo of your post is so vibrant. The colour totally jumped out of the screen. Pretty!

15. Eileen March 30, 2012 at 17:33 #

I’m moving in a few months, and am totally in “eat the contents of the pantry and freezer” mode, so I get the shrimp substitution. That’s how I wound up using crab. haha. If I didn’t have crab in the freezer, I probably would have bought shrimp, because of the price of crab and the fact that I erroneously expected to hate this recipe.

16. Alice March 30, 2012 at 20:14 #

stunning photography as usual :) I loved this one too!

17. Betsy March 30, 2012 at 22:01 #

I’m glad to know that this worked well with shrimp too. I like that idea. I love how pretty this salad looks in a glass, such a nice way to serve it. It lets all the colors shine through.

18. cat March 31, 2012 at 15:56 #

what a beautiful summer salad!

19. Mr. Neil March 31, 2012 at 16:01 #

Beautiful, yes. Refreshing and light, yes. Exciting – well, no.

Am afraid the move to prawns from crab doesn’t work for me. Less flavourful, unless you just plucked them from the sea…I found they were a bit lost in this salad.

Not BAD or anything – just ho-hum. I would want to find another use for my prawns.

I had this for lunch in the canteen at work, so no wine pairing. :-)

But if I were lounging like Mardi on the patio in the back yard on a March summer’s day (she’s right – it was 26C), I think I’d go for a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, or a French Muscadet.

20. amelia from z tasty life March 31, 2012 at 16:50 #

Mardi: spectacular, fresh, happy-looking!!!

21. Andrea March 31, 2012 at 17:37 #

What an absolutely gorgious looking post!

22. Susan March 31, 2012 at 20:19 #

Nice personalization! I think this would be great with shrimp!

23. Sara April 1, 2012 at 08:08 #

The idea of this salad is growing on me; and I’m excited to say that I have the book now too (hurah for whatever goof on amazon allowed me to get both her books for $5!)

24. Jen Laceda @ Tartine and Apron Strings April 3, 2012 at 01:00 #

oh so delicious!!!

25. chocolate shavings April 3, 2012 at 07:43 #

Love that photo and the medley of colours and flavours Mardi!

26. Confessions of a Culinary Diva April 3, 2012 at 16:38 #

Stunning salad – can’t wait to catch up on FFWD. This is one that I think we will use year round in Palm Springs. Terrific looking photos.