French Fridays with Dorie: Roasted salmon with lentils

Oh look, another French Fridays with Dorie with fish… Specifically, salmon which is the fish I like least. But no matter. In the interests of the Dorie mission, I went ahead and made this Roasted Salmon with Lentils (pp 300-301)  anyway, knowing that Neil and Cleo would enjoy the fish and I would enjoy the lentils (when I am in France, I often just order lentils as a starter or a side…)

Neil really enjoyed the slight spice from the cloves in the lentils (I added 5 cloves instead of 1) which countered the sweetness of the salmon and texturally, the lentils which were half puréed and half whole offered something a little more substantial to stand up to the salmon.  Since I don’t really know how to cook salmon – it’s hard to cook something you don’t like to eat – I took my best shot at it, following Dorie’s instructions and it turned out beautifully – even *I* thought it looked pretty!  The only changes to the recipe I made were the extra cloves and I pureed the onion, carrot and celery into the lentils I puréed (to be honest, I couldn’t be bothered chopping them up into small dice LOL!).

Result?

Well I think I did a pretty good job on this one :) It’s good to know I can cook salmon (for guests) and it’s great to have a “go to” easy lentil recipe :)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Speaking of FRENCH, did you see my latest article for Food Network Canada – all about cooking classes in Paris!

AND – did you know – I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July!  Read all about it here and enter my worldwide giveaway to win a copy of Paris my Sweet, by Amy Thomas.

, , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Roasted salmon with lentils

1. Liz March 2, 2012 at 06:40 #

You are a trooper, Mardi! Hope Neil and kitty enjoyed :)

2. Mr. Neil March 2, 2012 at 07:58 #

Thank goodness salmon is Cleo’s second-favourite fish; I don’t think Mardi would have persevered just for moi. ;-)

Well Mardi’s included my thoughts above, so I don’t have much more to add: Cleo and I loved this.

Paired with a Pouilly-Fuissé (from the Mâconnais, Burgundy). This is a dry Chardonnay, with a decided oak treatment. Not as buttery caramel as you often find in California (or to a lesser extent these days, Oz), but the hint of spice tones from the wood highlighted the lentils, and the creamy mouthfeel gave a slight impression of sweet (while not really).

I liked the pairing, and loved the dish.

3. Cher March 2, 2012 at 08:03 #

You are a good sport, indeed. Hopefully, Mr. Neil received a larger portion than Cleo :-)
    It looks lovely.

4. Gourmantine March 2, 2012 at 08:51 #

Now that’s the spirit, to go on even if don’t fancy the thing so much! Having said that, I love salmon, I think this may just go on my tonights dinner menu!

5. Viviane Bauquet Farre March 2, 2012 at 09:00 #

Looks great! I love the vivid yellow garnish – very appetizing! This is a very fresh and healthy way to fill up on delicious food.

6. Kiri W. March 2, 2012 at 11:16 #

This is one of my favorites, and just 2 weeks ago I enjoyed this very dish at a French restaurant here in Cleveland. Goregous :)

7. Lynda March 2, 2012 at 11:47 #

This is one of my all-time favorite preparations for salmon!

8. Nana March 2, 2012 at 14:13 #

It’s amazing how we can work around something that does not appeal to us. You did a great
    job on the recipe, plus everybody is happy. I usually just pan fry my salmon but I did like the
    way Dorie suggested and it worked perfectly.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 3, 2012 at 22:24 #

I love this idea of roasting it in the oven since it keeps the fishy smell out of the house more than pan frying!

9. Kathy March 2, 2012 at 14:40 #

Kudos to you for making a dish you are not fond of. Your plated dish looks so delicious!

10. Lacy @ NYCityEats March 2, 2012 at 15:49 #

I think it looks amazing! A simple and beutiful dish. I would have to agree that I like salmon the least, I think it’s the fishy flavor that they have sometimes. But nonetheless you did a lovely job!

11. Janet@FCTC March 2, 2012 at 17:01 #

Next time just send me your share of the Salmon cause I love it :-D and this looks completely delicious!

12. Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 2, 2012 at 22:15 #

Great job! I don’t think I could manage to pull of something I don’t eat… :) That really is one delicious plate of food!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 3, 2012 at 22:22 #

I think it’s important that I learn how to make stuff like this though… Makes me a better cook!

13. Kim Bee March 2, 2012 at 23:36 #

Such a great meal Mardi. I am a huge fan of salmon. I wish I could go to Paris with you. Definitely on my bucket list. My son went a few years ago. He loved it.

14. Adriana March 3, 2012 at 06:15 #

I also pureed the veggies in my semi-failed attempt at this recipe. Cleo is one spoiled little kitty! I am afraid of giving Gatamiaux “people food” because of the spices. She does enjoy the occasional visit to the balcony herb garden. :)

15. Rose March 3, 2012 at 08:14 #

Well your meal looks delicious. Congrats on making this one even though you knew you wouldn’t eat it. I love salmon so I voted for this one. Actually, it’s just about the only recipe on the schedule which I voted for. Should be an interesting month.

16. Alice March 3, 2012 at 21:30 #

haha! I took my immersion blender to just a part of the pot of lentils after I had fished out the veggies, and now I wish I had just pureed the entire thing! :) I liked them pureed with just a bit left whole, along with just a few whole veggies, but I added more cloves as well and since they got lost in the lentils, it lent a great flavor to the overall dish. Loved this one! :)

17. penny aka jeroxie March 4, 2012 at 07:05 #

Can’t remember the last time I had lentils…. thanks for the reminder

18. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. March 4, 2012 at 22:20 #

I actually really love salmon! I think this looks delicious!

19. Lola March 5, 2012 at 08:45 #

Nice article Mardi! And nice of you to make food for your family that you don’t actually eat!