French Fridays with Dorie: Cheese soufflé

Dorie warns us that “the drama is fleeting” with this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – cheese soufflé (pp 150 – 151). I know this about soufflés, I mean who doesn’t?  As per my usual modus operandi, I down sized the recipe to what I thought would make two tiny soufflés – one for my lunch one day and one to reheat (they’re not that great reheated – they look ugly – but not bad either – they taste ok) for the next day.  Well the recipe made three 6oz soufflés and two tiny (I think 3oz) ones – they burned on the bottom because I was too afraid to take them out when I thought they were ready – so obviously Dorie’s serves are more generous than my serving dishes.

I didn’t take a photo of the soufflés in the oven because my oven door is really dirty (ahem!) but they rose pretty high. The fleeting drama. Because about 2 seconds after I had my oven mitt on the tray, they deflated. At first, a little…

Then when I got them outside, a lot….

Ok so they were deflated… But the taste?

This was great – fluffy and cheese and nicely browned on top. Kind of unevenly risen but I like the rustic look. I’d make these again. I’d just make sure that the guests were in the kitchen to witness the fleeting drama ;)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Speaking of FRENCH, did you see my latest article for Food Network Canada – all about cooking classes in Paris!

AND – did you know – I am leading a foodie tour of Paris this July! Read all about it here.

, , , , , ,

50 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Cheese soufflé

1. Cher March 16, 2012 at 05:58 #

I like the “poof” in action.
    I think rustic is going to be the word of the week :-) Have a great weekend.

2. Liz March 16, 2012 at 06:22 #

Oh, I love your minis!!!! Mine almost looks scorched on the top…and yours are just perfect (hidden flaws don’t count ;))!

3. Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 16, 2012 at 07:00 #

Looks really good! I love cheese souffles and this recipe sounds fantastic! I need to get this book… Thanks for sharing!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 21:04 #

The book is so good – only a couple recipes so far that either have not worked or that I didn’t like.

4. Mr. Neil March 16, 2012 at 08:03 #

I think a perfect drinks match for this is a nice bottle of Champagne. Okay, I’ll let you pick a sparkler from another region or country…but stick to something ncie and crisp, preferably traditional method.

5. RavieNomNoms March 16, 2012 at 08:40 #

I have always wanted to make cheese soufflé, it looks great!!

6. Maggie March 16, 2012 at 09:00 #

I love the minis! And your cute little fromage plate!

7. Bibi @ Frugal Wannabe Cooks March 16, 2012 at 10:10 #

They look gorgeous. I always worry about the souffle deflating on me that’s why I am hesitant to make it, but one day I will bite the bullet and go for it. Your cheese souffle sounds delicious.

8. Lynda March 16, 2012 at 10:59 #

These are adorable and perfect for the rain today.

9. Trix March 16, 2012 at 11:02 #

For some reason souffles ALWAYS make more than you think they’re going to, and so no matter the recipe I make sure to have extra containers at the ready. Yours are very cute!

10. Heather March 16, 2012 at 12:25 #

your minis are beautiful! I re-heated mine for lunch as well – not pretty but still tasty:)

11. Kathy March 16, 2012 at 16:23 #

Such beautiful mini souffles! Nicely done! I also re-heated mine for lunch and they were still very good!

12. Paula March 16, 2012 at 16:48 #

Deflated or not, I think that your souffles look wonderful and at least you made them. It will most likely take me as long to try these as it did macarons!

13. Susie March 16, 2012 at 17:22 #

Souffle looks fantastic. I’m dying to try making some I just haven’t got to it yet…. but with al the post today you all are certainly inspiring me. :)

14. Nana March 16, 2012 at 19:07 #

Beautifully done. Deflated or not, the flavor is great. Makes me think of cheesecake.
    Hubby and I enjoyed ours with a lovely side salad.

15. Marie March 16, 2012 at 19:15 #

I like the “rustic” look myself, and really liked your square souffle dishes. As usual, fun to see all the different takes on one recipe.

16. Gracie March 16, 2012 at 19:33 #

Your souffles look ADORABLE!!! Yum.

17. Terra March 16, 2012 at 23:44 #

This is on my bucket list, I am nervous to make them….and excited:-) I still think your souffles look wonderful even if they deflated:-) Take care, Terra

18. Melissa@EyesBigger March 17, 2012 at 01:17 #

I think they look beautiful!

19. Rose March 17, 2012 at 04:41 #

Fleeting indeed. I had my husband take these out of the oven while I had the camera in my hand the whole time so that I could try to capture a picture before the moment was over. You had great color on yours, they look just perfect.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 23, 2012 at 20:51 #

Thanks! I was making them alone so no choice. I knew they would sink, glad they still seem to look tasty to everyone!

20. Allison March 17, 2012 at 19:59 #

I love all your differing sized souffles. Wish I’d done that!

21. Trevor March 18, 2012 at 12:12 #

I didn’t do it this time but I think minis are the way to go so you get more of that very tasty, nutty, browned crusts and bits. My favorite part of the soufflé. Looks quite yummy!

22. Betsy March 18, 2012 at 21:31 #

I wish I’d made little ones. They are so much cuter than one big one. Also, the little ones seem to yield more browned topping, which was my favorite part.

23. Elyse @The Cultural Dish March 18, 2012 at 22:11 #

This cheese souffle looks so beautiful and delicious! I love that these are small, individual treats too!

24. Chris and Amy March 19, 2012 at 10:25 #

Beautiful individually-sized clouds of yumminess. Yours are so nicely browned!

25. Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 19, 2012 at 12:44 #

I’ve been thinking after seeing a couple of Dorie souffles this week that I’ve NEVER made souffle despite my general adoration for cheesy and eggy things.

Great plan to bake individual portions of stuff for your lunch – hope my husband doesn’t read this, he’ll never agree to sandwiches ever again!!

26. a&b April 3, 2012 at 21:30 #

YUM! I’ve never had a cheese souffle but that looks delicious enough to give it a try!