French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella tartine (redux)

How excited was I to see Dorie’s Nutella Tartine (p 414-415) listed as this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe? Pretty excited that’s for sure!  Apart from the fact that I have already made it and absolutely loved it, I just happened to have a gorgeous loaf of white bread on hand from this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie post that I knew would be perfect for this un-recipe.  Plus, I happen to still have one precious jar of Christine Ferber jam (the jam we took a trip to Niedermorschwihr to find!) left from last summer’s stash.  This one was a special one – Alsatian raspberry and 64% dark chocolate jam/ spread.

Since, you know, Nutella doesn’t really go with everything, I felt it might be better to pair this with some melted dark chocolate and I was right.  The jam/ spread has a hint of chocolate only – it’s definitely more fruity than chocolatey so the added chocolate was a nice touch.  Fortunately for me, I had frozen all but one slice of my white bread loaf otherwise I might have eaten the lot served like this.  Chocolate, bread and fruit. A perfectly balanced breakfast, right? ;)

Want to join us cooking through Dorie’s “Around my French Table” in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

, , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella tartine (redux)

1. Mr. Neil February 10, 2012 at 07:29 #

Now THIS is a gloriously messy – and rewarding – breakfast. Even Cleo wanted to share!

What you don’t see in the pics is my cappuccino.

Heaven….

2. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons February 10, 2012 at 07:52 #

Ah! I missed getting to Niedermorchwier (what a name!) on my last Alsace visit. We were too busy getting wired into the wine tastings (I’m sure you can identify with that Mr. Neil!) We found Christine Ferber’s jams in so many pretty boutiques, though. I also love the packaging with its cute homemade material touch. Speaking of pretty, love the zigzags, Mardi.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 13, 2012 at 16:22 #

We loved our crazy drive there to Niedermorchwier because we got to say the name many many times ;) You need to get out there Jill – you’d LOVE Christine’s shop!

3. Cher February 10, 2012 at 07:54 #

Forget after school – this is exactly how a morning should start. The jam sounds glorious!
    Have a great weekend.
    No wine pairing from Mr. Neil? :-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 13, 2012 at 16:21 #

A little early for wine but a nice latte….. :)

• Mr. Neil February 15, 2012 at 08:01 #

If I must….a Kir Royale would do the trick nicely. ;-)

4. Candy February 10, 2012 at 08:57 #

Gorgeous photos! That jam looks ridiculous (in a good way)!

5. Emilia February 10, 2012 at 09:17 #

Of course any kind of nutella tartine looks amazing, but using raspberry jam? Brilliant. Perfect breakfast for valentine’s day now that I think about it…

6. Adriana February 10, 2012 at 09:48 #

I was not crazy about how my pictures turned out, so I made another batch this morning. Any excuse is good to start a day with this balanced (hee!) breakfast. Lovely choice of toppings, Mardi!

7. Paula February 10, 2012 at 11:05 #

Yes, a perfectly balanced and delicious breakfast :)

8. Geoff February 11, 2012 at 23:41 #

Great breakfast…. all the food groups – bread, jam, fruit and chocolate…
    Love it.

9. tsimmisthyme February 12, 2012 at 00:36 #

That Framboises d’ Alsace jam looks so good. Why is it that calling it framboises jam makes it sound so much better than raspberry jam. Not sure I could handle such a sweet breakfast but oh as a reward for going to workout, yes. Yum!

10. Lauren (Healthy Delicious) February 12, 2012 at 09:28 #

Yum! I love the original (I’d make it every day i I kept bread in the house) but this raspberry version has me drooling. Love the color of that jam too.

11. Pauline February 12, 2012 at 14:26 #

I think the raspberries really make this but I still want the chocolate and the bread!

12. Jesica@ Pencil Kitchen February 12, 2012 at 21:16 #

In all honesty… I want to buy the jam spread…. :’( It looks so delicate!

13. Lola February 12, 2012 at 22:55 #

I used raspberry wine jelly and it was great with the Nutella. As soon as I get more orange marmalade I want to try that combo too. Yours looks great!

14. Mary Hirsch February 13, 2012 at 11:13 #

This recipe was a great duo with TWD. Your bread turned out great – it looked yummy in your Post. I’ve never tasted, seen or, purchased Ferber’s confitures but the Framboises d’Alsace looks delicious. By the way, Mardi, I just Pinned your nutella cheesecake on my “Nuts About Nutella” Board on Pinterest. It looks good.

15. Liz February 13, 2012 at 13:28 #

Gorgeous photos, Mardi! I think i would have liked this so much better with raspberry/chocolate spread!

16. Kiri W. February 13, 2012 at 17:16 #

Today’s recipe round is making me soooo want a jar of Nutella ;) Looks delicious!

17. alice February 13, 2012 at 20:46 #

a perfectly balanced breakfast indeed! I enjoyed all your substiutions and feel like I need to make another trip with Mei…LOL!

18. penny aka jeroxie February 14, 2012 at 04:19 #

I think I can eat this everyday.

19. Ruth February 14, 2012 at 08:47 #

Wow! That really looks magnificent, raspberry and chocolate jam and nutella! Crazy good!