French Fridays with Dorie: Gorgonzola apple quiche

Another super simple French Fridays with Dorie. This week. Not that I am complaining, mind you ;)  A Gorgonzola apple quiche (p 157) – the perfect combination of sweet and salty and savoury with a buttery crust (yes, I made it from scratch!). The dough does need to rest for 3+ hours in the fridge but if you get your act together, you can have this made for lunch. It’s so easy (once you’ve dealt with the dough) and it makes the house smell awesome.

This was great, just warm out of the oven. And later on at room temperature. And reheated the next day And the next. When the main ingredients are butter, cream, cheese, onions, apples, I mean, you really cannot go wrong.  It’s a thin quiche, reminiscent of those served in French cafés with a simple green salad.  Contrary to what it sounds like, it makes a nice light meal.  I loved this combination and will remember it for the future. I kind of like the idea of mini quiches for a cocktail party….

Want to join us cooking through Dorie’s “Around my French Table” in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

* Are you in the Toronto area? If so, enter my giveaway for a $150 dinner at Lee Restaurant. Contest closes Sunday February 5th at 9pm EST

, , , , , , ,

62 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Gorgonzola apple quiche

1. Jenn February 3, 2012 at 05:48 #

What perfect flavors for a quiche! I so need this cookbook :)

2. Liz February 3, 2012 at 06:22 #

Oooh, mini quiches would be fun!!! Beautiful photos, Mardi!

3. Emilia February 3, 2012 at 07:06 #

I’ve never really understood the combination of apples and cheese, but I think I get it now. The quiche looks so good, as does the crust. Congrats on making it from scratch :)

4. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons February 3, 2012 at 07:06 #

I also love the idea of the mini quiches for parties. Another excuse to have a party, n’est-ce pas? Great combination, simple but super!

5. David @ Frenchie and the Yankee February 3, 2012 at 07:10 #

So interesting. I like it a lot.

6. Cher February 3, 2012 at 08:13 #

I still haven’t tried mine, but they all do look so pretty…
    My one girl has been eating it for the past few days, though – so it must be good :-)

7. Kiri W. February 3, 2012 at 11:11 #

I have actually never had a fruit quiche! This sounds fabulous :) Great inspiration, and your quiche looks perfect;y golden.

8. The Supper Model February 3, 2012 at 12:36 #

Golden for sure! what an interesting pairing and super fun new way to do a cheese course! enjoy it this weekend.

9. Nana February 3, 2012 at 15:29 #

We often serve gorgonzola and fresh pear as an after dinner treat, and I wonder if that
    combination would work in a quiche. Tricia and I both enjoyed this recipe, so easy to
    make, and easier to eat. Yours looks so delicious.

10. Helene February 3, 2012 at 15:31 #

Nice with the Gorgonzola, must have a rich taste.

11. Lindsey February 3, 2012 at 15:46 #

I’m generally not a fan of Gorgonzola (except on pizza from Al Taglio, we have to go together!) but that looks AMAZING!

12. Paula February 3, 2012 at 16:11 #

This looks wonderful Mardi and I can only imagine how much they would be devoured at mini quiche’s at a cocktail party.

13. Stephanie February 3, 2012 at 16:16 #

Yumm that flavor combination really appeals to me!

14. a wonderful quiche combo. love the apple addition. Beautiful photos Mardi!

15. Lola February 3, 2012 at 20:59 #

Wasn’t this delicious?

16. Rose February 4, 2012 at 08:48 #

This week’s recipe seems to have been a universal hit, looks like everyone loved it. We will definitely be repeating this one as well. And considering how much I hate to make pastry crust, that’s saying something.

17. Krissy February 4, 2012 at 10:39 #

Looks great. I did not have dough refrigeration time so I used the freezer for a few steps…froze the dough while making the filling and that worked great, froze the pan with uncooked dough while the oven heated…and a few more minutes, and then it could be partially baked without pricking the bottom or using anything to hold it down, as I’ve seen in several posts…the freezer made the whole process go quickly. We all liked this recipe at our house and when looking at that photo at the top of your page…well, it makes me want to make it again…makes my hungry.

18. cat February 4, 2012 at 12:04 #

gorgonzola-apple-quiche? yes, please.

19. Mr. Neil February 4, 2012 at 12:42 #

Really, anything with gorgonzola is worth a try…

20. JK Tasty Mayhem February 4, 2012 at 13:12 #

Delightful flavors this week, and I appreciated the simplicity too.

21. Joan Nova February 4, 2012 at 17:35 #

I really like this one because of the sweet-savory…wish I had a slice to try. :)

22. Sophie February 5, 2012 at 01:33 #

Not so fond of apples but with gorgonzola? I could be easily swayed. The quiche looks to be an excellent recipe!

23. Adriana February 5, 2012 at 08:48 #

I was pleasantly surprised with the blue cheese, apples and eggs combination. It helps that the gorgonzola melts beautifully! These quiches definitely make a great lunch. I used David Lebovitz’s tart dough recipe that doesn’t require rest time.

24. Veronica Gantley February 5, 2012 at 15:05 #

What a wonderful recipe. It sounds pretty tasty. I bookmarked it to try later. Thanks for sharing.

25. Mary Hirsch February 5, 2012 at 20:23 #

Yes, like Adriana already did and you suggested, I want to make mini-quiches. I thought the quiche was delicious. Loved to know about World Nutella Day. Ready for next week’s recipe, huh?

26. Dessert By Candy February 5, 2012 at 22:38 #

Love the golden colour of the filling. What kind of quiche pan did you use? I’m a little curious how you got the edges to look this way?

27. Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 6, 2012 at 00:12 #

Loved this one – so good, and easy once you get the timing for the pastry shell down! It’s a keeper!

28. Melissa@EyesBigger February 6, 2012 at 00:50 #

This looks yum! I will have to give it a try.

29. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 6, 2012 at 16:48 #

Oh my goodness… This one looks divine! I love gorgonzola and apples together, and you can never go wrong with quiche!

30. Jamie February 7, 2012 at 07:13 #

For some odd reason, I have really been wanting quiche but for the life of me could not decide on the flavors. I so love the idea of apple and gorgonzola… this is fabulous!

31. Andi February 7, 2012 at 13:48 #

I am mad for gorgonzola, roquefort, blue…this quiche sounds amazing – I am going to ask my hubby to make it this weekend!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks