French Fridays with Dorie: Cheese-topped onion soup

I was very happy this week to see the French Fridays with Dorie recipe was cheese-topped onion soup (pp 56-57). Not only because I love a good French onion soup but because I know how good it is – I’ve made it before. In fact, I made it the very first week of FFWD when the recipe was gougères.   I had made so many of them (even halving the recipe) that I needed a way to finish them off, so I made the onion soup and ended up popping in the gougères, covering them with cheese and melting the cheese. It was a delicious way to use up the leftover gougères :)

When I made the soup that time, though it was delicious, it just never got dark enough – I like my French onion soup a deep, rich brown colour.  I caramelized the onions for a LONG time then but the fact that the recipe called for chicken stock meant it was a very pale version.  This time around, I used beef and mushroom stock and it was a much richer taste and colour. Loved this. SO simple. Makes the house smell great. Tastes wonderful.

Want to join us cooking through Dorie’s “Around my French Table” in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

Speaking of FRENCH, did you see my latest article for Food Network Canada – all about cooking classes in Paris!

And did you know I’m leading a FOODIE TOUR OF PARIS this coming July?

, , , , ,

44 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Cheese-topped onion soup

1. Belinda @zomppa February 24, 2012 at 06:30 #

Brimming with oooey goodness.

2. Cher February 24, 2012 at 06:58 #

I knew that you would knock this one out of the park! And a foodie tour of Paris sounds wonderful :-)

3. Paula February 24, 2012 at 09:46 #

Using the beef and mushroom stock not only gives you the darker colour but I’m sure the flavour was enriched in your soup as well. Your photos of this are wonderful, I’m sure your soup was delicious.

4. Krissy February 24, 2012 at 11:20 #

Beautiful top photo. I was thinking about adding mushrooms and for sure next time I will make this recipe with beef stock…that all sounds so delicious. And a Paris foodie tour…how fun!

5. Stephanie February 24, 2012 at 12:02 #

I like my onion soup dark too with a splash of wine in it. Ohh I wish I was having that for lunch

6. Rose February 24, 2012 at 12:20 #

Oh yum, I bet a few gougeres would be great in this soup. Then again, those gougeres would be great with just about anything! Now you have reminded me that I have a baggie of them in my freezer, hmmm…

7. Mary Hirsch February 24, 2012 at 12:24 #

Well, throwing gougères on the top is a novel solution to ridding yourself of those extra little guys!
    Although we loved our soup with the chicken broth, I might go with beef broth next time. And, there will be a next time. Thanks.

8. Heather February 24, 2012 at 13:14 #

Love you pics

9. Susan February 24, 2012 at 13:26 #

Wow, Mardi – what a great way to use leftover Gourgeres! Your soup looks fabulous. I wish you ever success on your Foodie Tour – how fun!

10. Kiri W. February 24, 2012 at 14:24 #

What a wonderful French classic today. And that’s a delectable amount of cheese!

11. Liz February 24, 2012 at 15:19 #

I totally agree with you about the broth…good call! And did I tell you I’m going to Paris for the first time EVER this June! If you have a few “do not miss” suggestions for me, I’d really appreciate it (hubby and kids will be with me :)).

12. Nana February 24, 2012 at 15:19 #

Great way to use leftovers, I love doing things like that. Your soup looks wonderful, and you are right about the browning, it took an awful long time. Hubby enjoyed this one, no complaints.
    Simple meal, but so elegant looking.

13. Eileen February 24, 2012 at 17:36 #

I’m sorry, I’m stuck on the phrase “leftover gougeres.” We’re gougere fanatics in this house. Even Charlie. We’re rabid beasts. There are no leftovers. lol If there were, though, this sounds like a delightful way to use them, and one I wouldn’t have thought up.

14. Allison February 24, 2012 at 20:05 #

I love that you switched out the chicken stock for beef & mushroom. And your photos looks amazing. :)

15. Dessert By Candy February 24, 2012 at 22:22 #

Mmm I like the idea of using mushrooms to add umami which makes me think of making this a vegetarian version. I know it would not have the same richness but may worth a try. What kind of cheese did you use?

16. Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 25, 2012 at 00:29 #

Great use of the leftovers. Lovely dish and photos!

17. Mr. Neil February 25, 2012 at 06:33 #

All this needed was a nice glass of Sherry. :-)

18. Robin February 26, 2012 at 04:40 #

Beef & mushroom stock would give this soup a lot more flavour. Your soup looks delicious, love your soup bowls :)

19. FRankly Entertaining February 26, 2012 at 15:12 #

That top photo is gorgeous, and I’m very jealous of your Paris foodie tour!!

20. alice February 26, 2012 at 16:15 #

what a great use for your leftovers! :) Have you been to Le Bistro Paul Bert?? It’s totally worth a stop in for dinner while you are in Paris if you haven’t been yet, they are great and the food is to die for! … Love your bowls too, we had bought some of the same ones from Target but they arrived all broken in the mail and we didn’t bother to try again with it…

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 3, 2012 at 21:47 #

Bistro Paul Bert is on my list for the summer :) Oh and my bowl is from our local dollar store!!

21. Marsha @ The Harried Cook February 28, 2012 at 02:20 #

I’ve been seeing this recipe on several blogs and it makes me want to run out and buy the book right away! Your pictures of this yummy soup are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing :)

22. penny aka jeroxie March 4, 2012 at 07:17 #

Want recipe! Love onion soup

23. cat March 23, 2012 at 14:42 #

mmmm . . . now that it’s no longer freakishly hot around here and is back to feeling more like a normal damp, cool spring, this soup looks like the perfect dinner for this weekend!