French Fridays with Dorie: Quatre quarts

With only four ingredients (in equal quantities of each), this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (p 434) was a cinch to whip up.  “Quatre quarts” – four quarters in French – is a French version of the traditional pound cake. Of course, it being January and all, I didn’t think Neil and I needed a whole pound cake in the house, so I divided the recipe up and made two mini quatre-quarts in tiny springform pans

It’s all you really need in a household of 2 :)

And really, there’s not much to say about these. I was really pleased with how they came out. If you can believe it, I have never made a pound cake before but now I have, I know how easy they are.  This was really good. A reminder of how simple things can sometimes be the best. It was buttery and fluffy and it even tasted great the following day zapped in the microwave for about 30 seconds. It’s definitely best warm.

In fact it was so good we never even added any fruit, jam, honey or cream/ ice cream. But I bet it would have been good.  Next time….

Want to join us cooking through Dorie’s “Around my French Table” in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

, , , , ,

57 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Quatre quarts

1. Cher January 20, 2012 at 06:53 #

You are too funny – two mini cakes :-)
    And thanks for sharing that these take well to a little warming up. Warm cake & blueberry compote is on my brain now…

2. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen January 20, 2012 at 07:04 #

Honestly, you’ve never made a pound cake, Mardi? I find that so hard to believe! Considering this is your first time, you did really, really well with this recipe :).

3. David @ Frenchie and the Yankee January 20, 2012 at 07:14 #

J’adore le quatre-quarts !!!!

4. Rose January 20, 2012 at 08:09 #

What cute little mini cakes. I too find myself scaling many of these recipes down for my household of two, especially the baked goods. In retrospect I probably should have cut this one in half as well since my husband and I found it way too easy to gobble down.

5. Mr. Neil January 20, 2012 at 08:14 #

Actually, mine was a 300-gram cake, but I guess that doesn’t roll off the tongue quite so well…

6. Kathy January 20, 2012 at 08:16 #

Love your mini cakes! Great idea! This is the kind of simple cake that I enjoy with my tea in the afternoon. I did freeze mine to eat later when my husband is not on a diet!

7. Rochelle (@AcquiredLife) January 20, 2012 at 09:27 #

Beautiful crumb on those cakes! These “French Fridays” really make me want to get the book so I can participate too :)

8. Kiri W. January 20, 2012 at 09:30 #

I love the idea of a serving size pound cake :) How lovely! Looks moist and subtle.

9. SoupAddict Karen January 20, 2012 at 09:37 #

I mini-fied mine, too (but even further, cupcake-size in mini brioche tins). It’s such a simple, elegant cake – a keeper for sure.

10. Adriana January 20, 2012 at 09:44 #

I think I might need a couple of those mini springform pans! Where did you get them, if you don’t mind sharing? I sat out for this one because I couldn’t see myself baking a full cake when I have so many baked goods in the house at this time. I will definitely play catch up with this one as soon as the sweets stock goes down.

11. Paula January 20, 2012 at 09:47 #

Truth be told, I’ve never made a pound cake. I’m glad that you were so happy with how your first one turned out. By the way, 300-gram cake does have a very unique ring to it Mr. Neil ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 28, 2012 at 21:02 #

Hahaha! Indeed! Funny how we don’t make those basic items like pound cake…. Now I have I will make it again!

12. Steph I January 20, 2012 at 11:35 #

Mardi, your minis look terrific. We ate ours plain too and it was great.

13. Lindsey January 20, 2012 at 11:44 #

Love your interpretation! I’d gladly take some of that off your hands :)

14. Kimmy @ Lighter and Local January 20, 2012 at 11:59 #

I’ll admit, as well, that I’ve never made a pound cake. I’ve been toying with a bourbon-maple one though….. yum.

15. Magic of Spice January 20, 2012 at 13:34 #

Your first pound cake? Well it looks like it came out beautifully!

16. Lynda January 20, 2012 at 16:22 #

I’m all for portion control – even though I would end up eating all of it anyway. I love this recipe – it reminds me of cooking school!

17. Dessert By Candy January 20, 2012 at 18:34 #

This was your first time making pound cake?? Oh my, I am surprise! The mini springform pans look so cute. I used brioche tins and came out with 8 portions. Worked great! The tone of your photos make me think of lemon zest for some reasons….which would of course taste great in this cake.

18. Elaine January 20, 2012 at 18:36 #

Your mini-quatre-quarts are adorable! I love how they have such a beautiful domed top. Lovely!

19. Geoff January 20, 2012 at 19:47 #

I think, given your Australian roots, Mardi that, at some stage, you need to introduce the wider bloggersphere to damper. You know, the typical (Australian) bushman’s breakfast is made up of a [pee] a good look round and damper. Hope this comment not seen as inappropriate.

20. amanda @ fake ginger January 20, 2012 at 20:21 #

Yay for your first pound cake! I make them all the time in the summer when the berries are best. They have the best shortcakes. :)

Yours looks so good! The brown sugar topping on yours looks so much better than mine!

21. Eileen January 20, 2012 at 21:23 #

I’ve never made a pound cake either. Alas, I don’t think this is the recipe for me. Mine didn’t come out so great. Yours looks good!

22. jen Laceda January 21, 2012 at 00:17 #

I was thinking of making this as well as I LOVE pound cake. I am sooooo very afraid to make this, though. Know why? Because I just KNOW that I will be eating the whole thing!! Not good for my diet ;)

23. alice January 21, 2012 at 10:00 #

I bet you make this one a few more times! *wink* glad you enjoyed yours too! Ours didnt last long at all!

24. Krissy January 21, 2012 at 11:38 #

Yep…this one is good all by itself. My girls ate it plain and told me it is a new “keeper.” Nice to find a new recipe that is liked and yet so simple.

25. themacaronqueen January 21, 2012 at 19:30 #

Looks incredible. This is something that I would love to have with coffee. You can’t go wrong with a traditional pound cake.

26. Betsy January 21, 2012 at 20:59 #

Love the mini cakes. I have to admit in my household of two, one won’t eat a plain cake like this. After sharing the first half with friends that came for tea, I ate the next half myself, though not all in one sitting. This was a lovely simple cake. I’ll definitely make it again.

27. Liz January 22, 2012 at 13:17 #

LOL, I had to laugh at Mr. Neil’s comment! Yours looks perfect! I just love individual desserts :)

And thanks so much for your kind words and condolences. xoxo

28. Confessions of a Culinary Diva January 22, 2012 at 14:34 #

This is a great looking first pound cake! It looks like you’ve been baking them forever – perfect color and height. I like your photos – did you use Instagram on them or photoshop?

29. Karen January 23, 2012 at 23:25 #

Your cake looks perfect. Making minis would have been ideal for these! :)

30. Mary Hirsch January 25, 2012 at 10:38 #

Hello from the Western USA, Your being such a great FFWD member and blogger caused and inspired me to include your link in my Post today about Dorie and her online cooking groups . I have so enjoyed reading your Blog and included it in my Link List at the end of my Post. Looking forward to more in the year

http://www.lightsonbrightnobrakes.com/mistakes-happen-recipes-bomb-life-goes-on/ahead. Mary

31. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 25, 2012 at 11:42 #

Lovely! I love pound cake, so I’m sure this recipe would be a fast favorite. Love your mini versions!

32. penny aka jeroxie January 29, 2012 at 05:27 #

Mini version is good… I always struggle with finishing pound cake… hang on. My colleagues eat it all