French Fridays with Dorie: Broth-braised potatoes

This Friday’s French Fridays with Dorie will be short and sweet.  Broth Braised potatoes (page 358) is what I generally do when I boil new potatoes anyway – instead of using plain water, these potatoes are boiled in a broth, enhanced with garlic, lemon zest, bay leaves, rosemary, sage and thyme.  A couple of simple additions to an already simple dish that elevate from the ranks of “boring vegetables” to something a little more interesting.

That being said, these potatoes were just ok. Nothing really special.  They didn’t really take on much of the flavour of the broth which was a shame.  That said, the flavour of the broth itself was fabulous and next time, I might replace the broth with butter and fry them up in all those great flavours  to make some tasty home fries ;)

Want to join us cooking through Dorie’s “Around my French Table” in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us this year!

, , , , ,

38 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Broth-braised potatoes

1. Andi January 27, 2012 at 16:28 #

Simply and elegant, those are the best things in life!

2. Nana January 27, 2012 at 16:38 #

I agree, the sauce smelled incredible, but really did nothing for the potatoes. I have made
    rice with chicken broth and it really adds a lot of flavor. At least we tried the recipe, and
    that’s the fun part.

3. Adriana January 27, 2012 at 17:17 #

I felt the same way about the potatoes – so much potential with those great smells. I wonder if peeling the potatoes would have allowed the flavor to seep in better. I love the idea of using all the aromatics with butter for home fries.

4. Cher January 27, 2012 at 17:28 #

Everyone keeps talking about hash browns. Which is the first thing that is making me hungry after not being able to eat for three days…
    Your bowl of potatoes is pretty :-)

5. Marina January 27, 2012 at 22:45 #

I love potatoes, and those look so delish!

6. Sandi January 28, 2012 at 11:01 #

That simple replacement of broth instead of water, makes a huge difference. Very nice :)

7. Liz January 28, 2012 at 13:04 #

Yeah, same consensus here! Like your fried potato idea…now those I’d love!

8. Heather, Mmm... is for Mommy January 28, 2012 at 14:43 #

We both used baby Yukons (I think), I’d say it was because they were whole, but I did even poke my potatoes (think poke cake), and still meh.

9. amanda @ fake ginger January 28, 2012 at 20:48 #

Aww, so sorry to hear that you didn’t love them. :( They look great though!

10. Mary Hirsch January 28, 2012 at 21:33 #

What I liked best about this recipe was the day-after results: hashbrowns were yummy and including them in my frittata even better.

11. penny aka jeroxie January 29, 2012 at 05:22 #

I’ve not boiled potatoes in broth before… don’t see the need to?

12. Robin January 29, 2012 at 06:29 #

I added butter to the sauce at the end which gave it a nice flavor at the end. You’re right, I thought they would have had more flavor. But, we enjoyed them.

13. Denice January 29, 2012 at 11:59 #

Couldn’t you save some of the tasty broth, mash the potatoes and add it then??

14. K A B L O O E Y January 29, 2012 at 15:46 #

Thanks for your honesty, Mardi. Guess even Dorie is allowed an off day.

15. Jen January 29, 2012 at 22:26 #

Love the simplicity of potatoes. Fresh from the earth.

I just read your from Australia?? I’ve been thinking of going there or New Zealand to work – but honestly I know very little about the countries (just what I’ve read). How do they compare to TO where you live now?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 13, 2012 at 09:56 #

Hi Jen, Well I have never been to New Zealand and have not lived in Australia since 1994 so I’m not sure in what sense I can help you out? You can use the “contact me” form to get in touch if you like!

16. Confessions of a Culinary Diva January 30, 2012 at 10:51 #

Guess I’m going to have to make these again to have hash browns. We really enjoyed the recipe, it was different from how we usually make potatoes and easy! Great for the work week.

17. Ola February 1, 2012 at 05:21 #

An interesting idea to cook them in broth

18. Tricia S. February 1, 2012 at 22:02 #

The only way I am cooking these again is if Nana makes another frittata :) Pretty photo !

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Food Foto Friday - February 3, 2012

[...] From Eat Live Travel Write: Broth Braised Potatoes [...]

2. Friday Food Foto - Mama's Empanadas - Misadventures with Andi - August 4, 2013

[...] From Eat Live Travel Write: Broth Braised Potatoes [...]