French Fridays with Dorie: Potato chip tortilla

It’s a quick French Fridays with Dorie this week again.  I was thrilled to see the Potato Chip tortilla (p 141) making an appearance because 1. I’d had my eye on it and 2. It was quick and easy.  Who doesn’t need something delicious that’s also quick and easy to make during December?

Basically a “fast food” version of Dorie’s Basque potato tortilla we made in February, this is just eggs, shallots, some herbs (whatever you have on hand) and crushed potato chips. So simple!  We used sweet chili and sour cream flavoured chips to add some kick to the Piment d’Espelette in the mix and it was fabulous!  I could have used a larger slice of this – I like my eggy tortillas thick – this was a little on the thin side.

But all in all – a perfect Sunday lunch. Or brunch. Or lunch. Or breakfast… You get the picture :)

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself join us in 2012!

US and Canadian residents – did you enter my Maria Speck Ancient Grains for Modern Meals book giveaway yet?  Contest closes Saturday December 17th at 6pm EST.

, , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Potato chip tortilla

1. Rose December 16, 2011 at 05:52 #

Yay, happy to hear that you enjoyed this one as well. Great idea to add flavored chips to the mix. I was also surprised that this one was so much thinner than the first tortilla which we made, and that it called for so few eggs. Maybe that’s what makes it better as finger food. Tasty either way.

2. Liz December 16, 2011 at 06:06 #

Flavored chips? Great idea! Glad you enjoyed, Mardi~

3. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen December 16, 2011 at 06:24 #

The sweet chilli flavored potato chips really brought the zing to this eggy tortilla, didn’t it? Love that we thought very much alike!

4. Parsley Sage December 16, 2011 at 06:35 #

Great FFwD! I don’t believe I’ve tried anything like this before but I’m loving the flavors and the concept :)

5. Cher December 16, 2011 at 06:47 #

It was fun to try this – like the change up in the type of chips used.

6. Sandi December 16, 2011 at 07:15 #

Terrific idea, and oh, so pretty :)

7. Belinda @zomppa December 16, 2011 at 07:43 #

Such a fun and festive one!

8. sanya December 16, 2011 at 07:56 #

I loved how easy this was!
    But I have to go back and try it with different flavoured chips now!
    Sounds great!

9. Paula December 16, 2011 at 08:09 #

Looks wonderful Mardi. With it being a little on the thin side it is perfect for my tastes!

10. Jill Colonna December 16, 2011 at 08:52 #

Chili potato chips? Now that sounds like the perfect heat that we’re needing at this time of year and it looks festive, too.

11. LiztheChef December 16, 2011 at 10:41 #

My first resolution for 2012 is to get involved in these French Fridays with Dorie…

12. Confessions of a Culinary Diva December 16, 2011 at 12:14 #

Looks beautiful – great suggestion on the spicy potato chips, I found mine a little bland. It certainly was a fast and easy recipe to make, and no trip required to the store for ingredients!

13. Jamie December 16, 2011 at 14:04 #

I agree – a great meal that can be eaten at all times of the day!

14. amanda @ fake ginger December 16, 2011 at 14:12 #

I really wish I’d had the foresight to use flavored chips – yours looks and sounds delicious! I agree that it was a bit thin and I even used my small pan!

15. Dessert By Candy December 16, 2011 at 16:16 #

I was agonizing over the size of the frying pan because I like some height to my tortilla too. The chips flavour you used seem very intriguing. It did not even occur to me to use anything but plain sea salt until I read the round ups!

16. Cucina49 December 16, 2011 at 16:24 #

Good idea to use the flavored potato chips to perk up the flavor!

17. Lola December 16, 2011 at 16:38 #

I think the spicy chips was a good idea! Mine was a bit bland.

18. Betsy December 16, 2011 at 21:49 #

Your tortilla looks so nice and crispy. I made mine in a 7-inch skillet, and it was nice and thick. It didn’t occur to me to use flavored chips, but reading the posts of those of you who did, those variations sound quite interesting. Next time I’ll try something like that.

19. Andrea Janssn December 17, 2011 at 14:25 #

Love your photos. And also want to try this recipe with flavoured chips. Great job.

20. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 20, 2011 at 22:43 #

Yum! This sounds delish. I’ve been making eggs a lot lately, so I’ll have to add this to my repertoire.

21. penny aka jeroxie January 6, 2012 at 08:46 #