French Fridays with Dorie: Chard-stuffed pork roast

Dorie Greenspan chard stuffed porkThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish – chard stuffed pork roast (pp 276 – 277) – just happened to coincide with the weekend of our final Charcutepalooza meal so really, the last thing I felt like cooking was a pork roast LOL!  But being the dutiful Dorista that I am, I ploughed on through a massive sinus headache last Saturday to cook this for dinner.

Once it was cooked – finally (my thermometer told me it was but it SO wasn’t), I didn’t feel like eating this but Neil did and approved.  The great thing about this is that it reheats well and also tastes good cold (that’s why the photo at the top of the post doesn’t look succulent and juicy!) – just like they sell gorgeous meats in traiteurs all over France. It’s a posh leftover to bring for lunch – I loved the bitterness of the chard alongside the sweetness of the golden raisins.  It’s a great “make and forget” meal as it requires very little preparation.

Chard stuffed pork Dorie GreenspanWant to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , , ,

39 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Chard-stuffed pork roast

1. Parsley Sage December 9, 2011 at 07:05 #

Wow! That looks beautiful! And delicious :)

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Buzzed

2. Mr. Neil December 9, 2011 at 07:46 #

With the craziness of the last week, I honestly cannot remember having ANY wine with this. Which may, in fact, have been the case – a shocking state of affairs for Mr. Neil!

This would be fairly flexible in terms of pairings, as there’s a multiple of flavours ot potentially match. Something on the fruitiuer side would be nice, but a big bold Shiraz might just be too much for the lighter pork. I’d probably pull a Cru Beaujolais from the cellar, me…

3. Belinda @zomppa December 9, 2011 at 08:27 #

I absolutely love this roast! It is beautiful and so inviting.

4. Trix December 9, 2011 at 08:40 #

Poppa Trix actually liked this better cold the next day … but I just thought it was forgettable. On the bright side – yours looks lovely, such a nice crust!

5. Rose December 9, 2011 at 09:03 #

I was wishing that my thermometer was wrong when I took my pork roast out of the oven, but sadly it correctly told me that I had overcooked the darn thing. Drat! Yours looks much better than mine and I’m happy to hear that you were able to persevere. Hope you are feeling better.

6. Adriana December 9, 2011 at 09:04 #

The spice crust looks fantastic! It almost makes me wish I had made the entire roast instead of the cutlets. Almost ;-)

You are such a trooper for making this, even if you didn’t enjoy it until the following day!

7. alice December 9, 2011 at 09:15 #

I wouldn’t have thought to try it cold, but I bet it tastes good that way too! Even if it doesnt look juicy, it looks like it tasted really great!!!

8. Paula December 9, 2011 at 09:45 #

Sinus headaches and attacks are the worst and I hope yours is clearing up. This roast sounds like a great recipe (I’d have to have mine cooked a little more too) and my husband would love the meal it made and be looking forward to cold pork roast sandwiches after.

9. Kiri W. December 9, 2011 at 11:06 #

Looks amazing! Chard is such a lovely, and fairly new to me ingredient, so all these applications that are now open to me amaze me. Looks like a tender, perfect pork roast, too! :)

10. Steph I December 9, 2011 at 11:52 #

Mardi, maybe there is such a thing as too much meat. Maybe…maybe not! Hope you’re feeling better and get a chance to have the leftovers in a sandwich. Super yummy!!

11. Cher December 9, 2011 at 12:57 #

Hurray for successfully making it through the year of meat & still having the wherewithall to conjure up a pork loin the next day :-)
    We enjoyed this as leftovers, as well. It held over pretty well.

12. Krissy December 9, 2011 at 13:47 #

Your roast looks really lovely but I like well done…no pink piggy for us. Hope you get feeling better soon!!! There is too much to enjoy not to be feeling your best during this wonderful month of December and holidays.

• Mr. Neil December 9, 2011 at 18:34 #

Pink is actually the more appropriate way to cook now…long gone are the days where we NEED to cook beyond pink to kill the creepy crawlies. But that’s just from a health perspective. Personal preference always key. ;-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 17, 2011 at 20:57 #

Thanks – this actually WAS well done but just pink. Odd. But good.

13. Liz December 9, 2011 at 15:34 #

Mmmmmmmm…fabulous photos, Mardi An amazing roast!!!

14. amanda @ fake ginger December 9, 2011 at 17:08 #

My husband said it was very good cold too – he made sandwiches for a few days after I cooked it. Yours looks delicious! :)

15. Elaine December 10, 2011 at 00:53 #

The crust on your roast is gorgeous. I am looking forward to have a pork roast sandwich with the leftovers tomorrow for lunch and am glad to know it tastes just as good cold.

16. Dessert By Candy December 10, 2011 at 02:08 #

Mmm good leftover meal and I missed out because I scaled down the recipe to one pork chop! One of my guilty pleasure is to get (right out of fridge) cold food. I may have to give the whole roast a second chance even if it’s way too much for just me! Love the pink colour of your roast.

17. Kim Bee December 10, 2011 at 23:14 #

This looks really tasty. I love seeing these posts. I have to get this cookbook.

18. penny aka jeroxie December 11, 2011 at 06:30 #

I love stuffed roast. Might be on the Christmas menu this year.

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 13, 2011 at 21:35 #

Very interesting dish… I’m on and off with chard, but I can imagine it would be a nice compliment to the pork and golden raisins!