French Fridays with Dorie: Cauliflower-bacon gratin

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (cauliflower-bacon gratin, p 362), was one that kind of flew under my radar when I was leafing through the book and marking things I wanted to make because I can’t imagine why I would not have flagged it – a gratin made with cheese, cream and bacon containing cauliflower (therefore making it somewhat healthy) – sounds right up my alley, right?

This was so easy to make, using leftover home-cured bacon from the final Charcutepalooza challenge meal and wowed guests and even Neil thought it wasn’t bad “for a vegetable”.  I love how it puffed up, all soufflé like….

Would I make this again? You bet. A great way to use up all sorts of leftover vegetables because, you know, everything’s better with bacon and cream, right?

Want to join in the fun in 2012? Join French Fridays with Dorie here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Go on, treat yourself and join us in the new year!

, , , , , , ,

52 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Cauliflower-bacon gratin

1. Elin December 30, 2011 at 02:59 #

Mardi…how I love yours with the soufflelike puff…mmmmm can imagine how aromatic with the burnt cheese topping :) yummy. I served mine as a main dish …me too definitely will make this again with curry and sauteed onions this time . Happy New Year to you and family!

2. Rose December 30, 2011 at 04:47 #

This one certainly was a treat. Though, I’m thinking that our resolution for 2012 needs to be that we pick lighter recipes for December to balance out all the holiday feasting. Darn tasty though, and your little individual gratins look just perfect.

3. Cher December 30, 2011 at 08:19 #

Exactly – bacon and cream (and cheese) make almost everything wonderful :-) Love the puffy goodness in those dishes.

Have a great New Year, Mardi!

4. Belinda @zomppa December 30, 2011 at 08:24 #

Cauliflower is SO underrated!

5. Candy December 30, 2011 at 08:46 #

I love that you fixed this in a smaller gratin dish. So cute!

6. Lynda December 30, 2011 at 10:07 #

This is a lovely recipe – I love how it puffs up. I think it’s time to jump into French Fridays…

7. Liz December 30, 2011 at 10:21 #

Beautiful, Mardi! Looking forward to cooking along with you every Friday in 2012!!! Happy New Year!!! xo

8. Lola December 30, 2011 at 11:04 #

We’ll be making this again….as soon as we get our weight and cholesterol under control:) Happy New Year!

9. Susan December 30, 2011 at 11:19 #

Nicely done, Mardi! I agree – this would be great with all kinds of vegetables.

Have a fabulous New Year!

10. Marie December 30, 2011 at 13:16 #

Your gratin looks especially nice in the small gratin dish. Good idea!

11. Hotly Spiced December 30, 2011 at 16:19 #

I found your blog through ‘A Little Less Vanilla’. Your gratin looks so inviting and what great colour you have on the top. Happy New Year!

12. Tricia S. December 30, 2011 at 16:26 #

I do love this recipe and yours turned out stunning ! It is funny because this recipe was literally the ONLY other recipe that I made outside of French Fridays. It was a winner from the first time and has made many repeats. Just like that creme brulee is going to :) Happiest of New Years- Nana and I greatly enjoy your posts and your comments – thanks so much for sharing both !!

13. Betsy December 30, 2011 at 21:17 #

I like that you made this as individual servings. Your gratin is the puffiest one I’ve seen today. Have a happy new year, Mardi!

14. Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 04:51 #

Bacon makes the world a perfect one :) And because there’s cauliflower it makes it seem a little bit healthier hahaha Happy New Year!

15. Lizzy (Good Things) December 31, 2011 at 06:02 #

Yum!

16. Winnie December 31, 2011 at 12:02 #

Beautiful gratin Mardi!!! Happy 2012 :)

17. Magic of Spice December 31, 2011 at 12:16 #

I can’t do the bacon part, but my kids would love it…looks wonderful!
    Happy New Year Mardi, wishing you a wonderful 2012!

18. Confessions of a Culinary Diva December 31, 2011 at 16:42 #

Oh, I love the souffle puff! I loved this and suggested to my spouse it would be a great breakfast item – he was not excited about that idea, but loved it as a side dish. I just thought this was delicious and really simple to make. Can’t wait to make it for guests. Love how your gratin is so puffy and golden brown!

19. Trevor December 31, 2011 at 17:45 #

That made me laugh, “somewhat healthy”. Uh huh. Sure. It has salt in it too and well, we all need salt to survive so its a matter of survival too I guess! lol. I didn’t make this one because it scared me as I knew I would just like it too much. :)

20. Mr. Neil December 31, 2011 at 20:24 #

Ahem! I DO believe I came out with something much more flattering than “not bad”. :-)

Very nice, though for the life of me cannot recall what I paired it with. May even have just been sparkling water with lemon…shocker for you all.

21. sara December 31, 2011 at 21:23 #

Ooooooh, this looks insanely good!! Delicious – what a beautiful dish.

22. amanda @ fake ginger January 2, 2012 at 09:28 #

I love how it puffed up too! I bet it was delicious with your bacon! :)

23. The Roving Epicure January 2, 2012 at 09:30 #

This looks very yummy… I love your blog! :)

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 2, 2012 at 20:31 #

I agree with you… I love how it puffed up like a souffle! Lovely!

25. Andrea Janssen January 3, 2012 at 08:33 #

Happy new year to you and your loved ones. Certainly agree that this is a great way to use for other vegetables that are leftover. I definitely going to try that.

26. penny aka jeroxie January 6, 2012 at 08:38 #

Perfect… I have a head of cauliflower that I need to use