Holiday cheer with California Walnuts: Raspberry-cranberry-walnut palmiers

With the holiday season just around the corner, there’s no better time to get creative – and what better way than starting with the California Walnuts Holiday Blogger Challenge?

The California Walnut Commission is looking for the best holiday recipe featuring California Walnuts and I was invited to participate by the kind folks at Faye Clack.  Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, flavour profile, ease of preparation and the use of at least one cup of California Walnuts.  The recipes should be suitable for holiday gatherings/ winter entertaining and can include amuses bouches, appetizers, side dishes, snacks, mains or desserts.

I have to say I scratched my head a little at this one, then I happened on my friend Cathy‘s blog and her raspberry-cranberry-pecan conserve for Thanksgiving.  I knew I had to make this – but with walnuts.  I was so surprised at how easy this one was (for a non canner/ preserver like myself!) and ended up making one jar with almonds and one jar with walnuts – the perfect accompaniment for your cheese platter, your toast or your yoghurt this holiday season.  But once I had my two beautiful jars of conserves I wondered what to *make* with them and inspiration finally found me in the “LCBO Holiday Wrapped Up: Entertaining and Giving Made Easy” guide.  I spied the savoury palmiers (made with tapenades and asiago cheese) and knew immediately that I needed to try palmiers for myself  – but a sweet version incorporating California Walnuts and the raspberry-cranberry walnut preserve.

I’ll admit these took me two attempts – the first time I made them, I forgot the rolls of pastry in the freezer and they just wouldn’t bake up properly days later when I remembered them ;) The next time I made then, I baked them up that same day and they were perfect. My sister ate them as an appetizer but I’d say they would work as a dessert also. Or, you know a snack. Or you know, anytime ;)  Plus, they are pretty for any holiday table :)

5.0 from 2 reviews
Raspberry-cranberry-walnut palmiers

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

An easy festive dessert, appetizer, or snack for the holidays!
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 48 palmiers
Ingredients
  • 1 pound puff pastry
  • ⅔ cup raspberry-cranberry-walnut preserve (or jam or cranberry sauce)
  • 1 cup California Walnuts, roughly chopped
Instructions
  1. Roll out the pastry into two rectangles about 8" by 11".
  2. Spread the preserve thinly over each rectangle.
  3. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over each rectangle, making sure to cover the pastry evenly.
  4. Roll the long end of each pastry rectangle into the centre, taking care to roll tightly (the palmiers will fall apart otherwise).
  5. Wrap each pastry roll tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
  7. Remove pastry rolls from freezer and let them sit for 10 minutes.
  8. Slice the logs into 1cm wide slices.
  9. Place palmiers on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper, taking care to leave about 2 inches between each palmier.
  10. Bake for 7 minutes, then turn the palmiers over and bake for a further 5 minutes.
  11. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
  12. Serve the same day or store in airtight containers for 2-3 days. To re-crisp them, place them in a pre-heated 350˚F oven for about 5 minutes.

I was pretty pleased with how these ended up. I love the combination of walnuts and sweet jams and this works well because of the addition of cranberries – making it not too sweet. I’d even love these on a cheese tray. The possibilities are endless and now I know the trick to making palmiers, I think I’ll be making them a lot more often!

, , , , , , , , , ,

50 Responses to Holiday cheer with California Walnuts: Raspberry-cranberry-walnut palmiers

1. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons November 28, 2011 at 06:45 #

Mardi, you always have so much fun doing interesting projects – and this is no exception. Well done on the walnuts challenge. Love your cranberries in there. You have inspired me to make sweet palmiers for a change with these lovely festive flavours, as I’m always making savoury ones! No wonder you’ll be making them more often. Fantastique.

2. MrsWheelbarrow November 28, 2011 at 06:56 #

What a great idea!! And I happen to have a few jars of jam around the house….

3. Kiri W. November 28, 2011 at 07:53 #

Wow, these came out so pretty! I love walnut palmiers, but don;t really like cranberries, so maybe I;ll try this with a different berry :)

4. jules @ bananamondaes November 28, 2011 at 08:00 #

This are lovely. They’ll be great for Christmas-time. Am adding it to my Christmas list. I love the colours in your photo – divine!

5. Winnie November 28, 2011 at 08:26 #

Love these Mardi!!! They’re beautiful and I bet they’re delicious, too :)

6. Belinda @zomppa November 28, 2011 at 08:34 #

Such a simple and lovely holiday idea!

7. Val November 28, 2011 at 08:53 #

I’ve yet to make palmiers and they seem like such a great and easy option. I love the way you utilised your beautiful jam with these and am inspired to try out both the jam and the palmiers. Thanks!

8. Pauline November 28, 2011 at 09:52 #

Love these, crunch sweet pastries and I was even thinking of having them with cream. Is that too bad? Nah :-)

9. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family November 28, 2011 at 09:53 #

These are gorgeous and you are right perfect for the holidays.

10. Jen Laceda November 28, 2011 at 10:39 #

I just talked about the benefits of walnuts on my blog when I made a Basil Walnut Pesto this weekend for my kids! As I wrote on my post, I am very happy to know that walnuts are rich in omega-3′s to help with brain functioning. Also research has indicated that the omega-3′s in walnuts helped reduce prostrate cancer risk in men (perfect for Movember campaign!) and also breast cancer risk! It suddenly made walnuts “superstars” in my book!

This is a very festive way of using walnuts! Yum, yum palmiers! Go, Mardi!

11. Lindsey November 28, 2011 at 12:16 #

Just when I’m trying to turn my back on sweets post-Thanksgiving, you go and post something so delicious looking I won’t be able to resist trying them. Le sigh. GORGEOUS and yum!

12. Susie November 28, 2011 at 15:52 #

I love palmier cookies and I have never had them any other way than with sugar. I must try making these. They look fantastic.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 11, 2011 at 18:12 #

These are definitely a little fancier than simple sugar ones but worth the extra effort!

13. Cucina49 November 28, 2011 at 16:45 #

Good luck with the contest! These look lovely.

14. Jan @ Family Bites November 28, 2011 at 18:00 #

Mardi, these look so pretty! I love the colours and I bet the flavour combination is brilliant.

15. Steph@stephsbitebybite November 28, 2011 at 18:25 #

Oh my! How gorgeous are these!! Perfect for the holidays!

16. Felicia November 28, 2011 at 18:41 #

These are beautiful — so simple and elegant. I was wondering what I was going to do with my surplus cranberry sauce; thanks for offering a terrific solution!

17. Terra November 29, 2011 at 08:08 #

I still have not made Palmiers yet, but you just made me really want to now. I adore anything cranberry, so what a beautiful, perfect idea to add cranberries to such a gorgeous cookie:-) Take care, Terra

18. Paula November 29, 2011 at 10:08 #

These are gorgeous. Wonderfully festive Mardi.

19. Elyse @The Cultural Dish November 29, 2011 at 18:37 #

Omg these are awesome! I love palmiers and your addition of the raspberry, cranberry, and walnut flavors is perfect! Such a wonderful treat for the holidays – I would definitely love to find these in my stocking! :)

20. ping November 29, 2011 at 20:47 #

These are stunning! So perfect for the holidays. Festive, colorful, yummy!

21. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz December 1, 2011 at 16:42 #

Really great entry for the contest Mardi. My mom would adore them, she is crazy for palmiers. I am very intrigued by this raspberry-cranberry-walnut preserve. Your recipe screams festivities!

22. Rhonda December 1, 2011 at 19:36 #

I’m really going to make these! I have left over cranberry sauce that I was needing some inspiration for!

23. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 7, 2011 at 14:54 #

These are really pretty! I will definitely give them a try with some of the cranberry sauce I have from canning before Thanksgiving. Now, I just need to make some puff pastry!

24. penny aka jeroxie December 11, 2011 at 07:42 #

I have not made palmiers before. Might bake these with leftover marmalade?

25. Natalie December 28, 2011 at 08:29 #

I’m going to try a savoury version of these using muhammara (a middle eastern roasted pepper & walnut dip) will let you know how they turn out, thanks for the inspiration!!