French Fridays with Dorie: Pissaladière

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe, pissaladière is a version of pizza, popular in southern France, topped with caramelized (nearly puréed) onions, garlic, olives and anchovies.  Anchovies being one of my least favourite foods in the world, I switched these out for some oven roasted tomatoes (the last few from this summer’s crop), and added some capers for colour and was pretty pleased with the result.

For me, of course, the challenge was really in the crust, since yeasted breads and doughs and I are not the best of friends generally. But I think I nailed this one!  It was hard to roll it out as thin as both Neil and I like it but I did ok – there were a few thicker parts at the edges but not too uneven…

Straight out of the oven, it looked a little – errr – rustic, but if you can believe it, I actually prefer pizzas on the rustic side!

Don’t you think the slightly burns edges lend it an authentic look?

And mmmm… still warm sliced into squares….

Perfect for a mid-afternoon snack:)

I had leftovers for dinner the following two nights and it remained crispy, never going soggy. A pretty perfect pizza crust, if I do say so myself!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , ,

82 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Pissaladière

1. Rose October 21, 2011 at 06:27 #

I think your rustic pissaladiere looks perfect, and the roasted tomatoes look like a great anchovy substitute. I suspect that you will not be the only one finding an anchovy alternative this week, it seems to be one of those ingredients that very few people actually like.

2. The Mistress of Spices October 21, 2011 at 06:48 #

Looks gorgeous! And I love the substitute of the roasted tomatoes. I’m going to try to muster the energy to make this tonight. I could use the reminder of the south of France when it’s 0 degrees here in Paris!

3. Pecorella di Marzapane October 21, 2011 at 07:05 #

Bellissime foto, la focaccia poi sembra buonissima! ^_^

Ciao e piacere di conoscerti,
    Tiziana

4. Lindsey October 21, 2011 at 07:13 #

Looks delicious! I would have switched out the anchovies too, good call.

5. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen October 21, 2011 at 07:16 #

So Provence. It always looks a bit rustic and homey in the window of the boulangerie or patisserie there and I love that you’ve used capers in it.
    Sam

6. Liz October 21, 2011 at 07:43 #

I think my family would have enjoyed the roasted tomatoes over the anchovies…but they also don’t like olives or lots of onions! Maybe pizza margherita was is order?

PS…stunning photos!

7. Mr. Neil October 21, 2011 at 08:15 #

This was a complete success – a delightful mid-afternoon snack brought ot me in my office…whjich had me skulking downstairs in short order to see if there as more! :-)

Yes, I would have loved the anchovies on half…but that’s another pizza…

Alas, no wine as I was working: but one of those chilled roses would suit just fine.

8. Cher October 21, 2011 at 08:46 #

Ah, I snuck my anchovies in with the onions so that my “eaters” were none the wiser :-) But I am the girl who takes everyone else’s anchovies off the Caesar salad and eats them. I guess I am an oddity…
    Tomatoes & capers = great idea.

9. Trix October 21, 2011 at 09:01 #

Glad you conquered your yeast demon! The crust looks beautiful – I loved this dish as well. (Only I did the anchovies.) That said, I would try it with your subs as well, I think they’re perfect.

10. SoupAddict October 21, 2011 at 09:31 #

I’m actually at the point now where the only appetizing pizzas are the “rustic” ones. I just adore homemade crusts and irregular shapes and thicknesses = homemade! Nice subs on the anchovies. I bet they went great with the beautiful golden onions!

11. Roxana GreenGirl October 21, 2011 at 10:08 #

I love your substitutions. Roasted tomatoes go so well with caramelized onion.

12. Jen Laceda October 21, 2011 at 10:08 #

Me and yeasted bread = not friends also. But yours look awesome! I like my pizzas on the “rustic” side as well ;) I will definitely try this recipe at home. But having 2 kids (plus one on the way), I might just purchase frozen pizza dough from The Cheese Boutique :) – they make a nice one there. Have a good weekend, Mardi!

13. yummychunklet October 21, 2011 at 11:01 #

Yay! I also put roasted tomatoes on my onion pizza! Yum!

14. anja jansen October 21, 2011 at 11:11 #

Your pissaldiere looks great and I love the addition of your own grown tomatoes. Really great.

15. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 21, 2011 at 11:12 #

Ooohh man that looks good! I’m a rustic pizza fan too.

16. Paula October 21, 2011 at 11:13 #

I’d be definitely swapping out the anchovies too! Your pizza and crust looks awesome.

17. Jill Colonna October 21, 2011 at 12:11 #

I love your addition of the roasted tomatoes and rustic looks great! Oh, anytime I eat this it’s in the south with plenty of sunshine and heat. Something we could do with right now. Thanks for adding a ray of sunshine to this Friday!

18. Rhonda October 21, 2011 at 12:51 #

I’m drooling, sounds wonderful!

19. FrolickingNightOwl October 21, 2011 at 14:49 #

Yum! Your tomatoes look outstanding!

20. Cucina49 October 21, 2011 at 16:06 #

This is one of those foods I’ve always intended to make and haven’t. This post may be the push I need to do it!

21. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz October 21, 2011 at 16:32 #

Oh what a nice pissaladière indeed. Love the colors and yes the touch of burnt crust makes it authentic.

22. stacy :) October 21, 2011 at 17:13 #

Well, after reading multiple blog posts that substituted roasted tomatoes, I had to try a leftover piece with oven-dried tomatoes added, and I agree, it’s a great addition (not a substitution in my case, but I can understand the allure of leaving the anchovies off!). Lovely pictures, as always!

23. alice October 21, 2011 at 19:22 #

have you ever tried instant yeast instead of active dry? glad this was a hit for you! it looks great!

24. Confessions of a Culinary Diva October 21, 2011 at 19:48 #

This was the first email I read this morning, and love your tweaks to this recipe. We are not a team anchovy in our house so this was a tough one for us this week, and I went off reservation with mine!

Fantastic looking Pissaladiere!

25. Betsy October 21, 2011 at 21:57 #

I’m surprised to hear you’re challenged by yeasty things. It seems you can do everything perfectly! I like the sound (and look) of the capers you put on top, though I’m firmly on team anchovy. It’s really all about those caramelized onions.

26. Adriana October 21, 2011 at 22:37 #

Your rustic pissaladiere looks fantastic, Mardi. I wish my crust had turned out like yours. The tomatoes and capers look fantastic – and I’m sure they would have been wonderful with the anchovies too… almost like a pizza puttanesca!

27. JK Tasty Mayhem October 21, 2011 at 22:38 #

rustic is perfect in this case! Another great looking entry in team tomato. I’m ready to test this out with some roasted tomatoes myself.

28. Laurie October 21, 2011 at 23:05 #

Wow, great topping choices. I’m sure they taste as good as they look too.

29. The Culinary Lens October 22, 2011 at 08:38 #

Rustic is wonderful.. I actually like the look..Those perfect looking pizzas in the pizza houses as a taste awful. And I know this is good.

To get this nice a crust I’d have to take the batteries out of my smoke detectors but I think the effort would be worth it LOL

30. Helene October 22, 2011 at 12:02 #

I am a bit hesitant to use anchovies like you in my recipes. My family is not in love with anchovies. We like roasted tomatoes, that would work for us. I look at your crust and it looks rustic to me. My favorite crust recipe is from Cook’s Illustrated and I bake it on a baking stone.

31. Robin October 22, 2011 at 12:10 #

Love the idea of adding capers with the sun dried tomatoes. Your onions almost look like melted cheese. Great post.

32. Kate@Diethood October 23, 2011 at 10:17 #

Mardi that crust looks sooo freakin’ good! Just looking at this again makes me want to go and get my dough ready!

33. Eileen October 23, 2011 at 21:34 #

I’m amazed that your crust stayed crisp after two days! That never happens. My dough didn’t rise, so I’m 100% sure mine didn’t come out right. At all. That was just one of many problems I had. Yours looks beautiful, and the capers and tomatoes sound delish. Nice photos!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 5, 2011 at 16:49 #

Yes I was impressed with this as well – a huge bonus in my book as I love leftovers but not soggy pizza ones!

34. Trevor October 24, 2011 at 13:05 #

Beautiful crust!!! But where is the pissaladierre?

35. Tricia S. October 24, 2011 at 20:57 #

Rustic is a big compliment, in my book :) And your pissaladiere looks just gorgeous. The colors played well between all the things you chose and I agree – a perfect mid afternoon snack indeed. Nana and I have agreed we will revisit this one over the Thanksgiving break and play around with other tops – I hope our crust turns out as gorgeous (and rustic :) as yours !!!

36. Jason Phelps October 25, 2011 at 09:03 #

We had several versions of Pissaladiere when we were in France earlier in the year and it really makes most pizza we come across pretty lame.

The caper and roasted tomato combination is a great swap by me!

Jason

37. Lora @cakeduchess October 25, 2011 at 22:04 #

You don’t seem to have a problem with this dough:)Looks wonderful! I also love rustic pizzas. I can’t wait to make it again. Your crust is just the way I like it:)xx

38. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 26, 2011 at 10:33 #

So lovely! I agree with you… Pizzas are best when they are a bit rustic and free form. This is a beautiful dish!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 5, 2011 at 16:47 #

Thanks Jen – I have come a long way with dough since my lesson in your kitchen last summer!

39. KarenP October 27, 2011 at 13:02 #

Gorgeous! Your crust looks perfect, and the tomatoes look like a delicious addition.

40. penny aka jeroxie October 31, 2011 at 05:39 #

I prefer rustic pizza as well

41. jora November 1, 2011 at 07:24 #

I love the idea of substituting roasted tomatoes and capers. I followed the recipe even though I don’t like anchovies and wasn’t as happy with the results. Your photos are gorgeous. I’m with you on the burnt pizza edges :-)

42. Jasanna November 10, 2011 at 17:43 #

Yum! This looks good. I may just have to make it for myself because my DH isn’t a super fan of odd pizzas, but the rustic look, looks amazing! Plus I don’t know even how to say that pizza word, which makes it that much more attractive, AND I have some capers sitting around just BEGGING to be used. :