Meeting Jill Colonna at Un Dimanche à Paris and a fig tart recipe

Jill Colonna's fig tart recipeToday I am welcoming the lovely Jill Colonna, author of Mad about Macarons.  I met up with her in Paris this summer for a delightful afternoon of tasty treats and non-stop chatter!

When Mardi asked me to guest post on her blog, I was so excited.  Imagine being asked to do something for eat. live. travel. write!  When Mardi was last in Paris, we met up for goûter or quatre heures. What a wonderful afternoon we spent together, indulging on a selection of light but decadent pastries.

Mardi had no hesitation choosing the spoon-clinging hot chocolate and myself, a pot of Ceylon Earl Grey which arrived with a timer and instructions to infuse the giant teabag for no more than 4 minutes.

Quatre minutes when you’re sharing funny stories of life in Paris?  We didn’t see the time pass so I’m sure any tea gourmets would have held their hands up in horror.  So, Mardi – next time you come to Paris this pastry jaunt has to be made into a ritual. We have to do this for our readers’ sake, n’est-ce pas?

Mardi’s readers are no stranger to French cuisine.  She always cooks up a storm in her kitchen – including macarons – to perfection.  So what could I serve up to her friends?  With such a short fig season, I’m currently adding figs to so many dishes.

Who gives a fig? I do. It’s the season!

At our local market in Saint Germain-en-Laye (just outside Paris) these figs are set out like jewels, individually nested in their crates begging, just try me for ripeness. Pick figs that are ripe but firm enough to the touch.  That way it will be easier to cut them into thin slices.

One of my personal favourites is this fig tart. It’s pretty to look at but light enough with a pot of Oolong orange blossom tea for Quatre Heures.  That way there’s still room for dinner! It’s so simple to make and easy to cut. The addition of orange flower water gives it that extra je ne sais quoi to the almond and honey base.

For that extra taste of France, I love to scatter just one dried lavender flower to the tart once it comes out of the oven.  Or sprinkle on a few flaked almonds.

Jill Colonna’s fig tart recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A luscious fig tart by “Mad about Macarons” author, Jill Colonna
Author:
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients
  • Round of ready-made puff pastry
  • 12-15 purple plump figs (ripe but firm enough to cut neatly)
  • 60g ground almonds (almond flour)
  • 2 tbsp runny honey
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp orange flower water
Instructions
  1. On a baking sheet lined with greaseproof baking paper, prick the pastry with a fork and score a border 1cm in from the edge using a knife. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  3. Wash, dry and cut the figs finely, using a good sharp knife.
  4. Beat the egg and honey with a whisk in a bowl until light and creamy. Add the ground almonds and orange flower water. Using a spatula, spread the mix on the pastry.
  5. Place the figs in rounds on the pastry. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Thank you so much Jill for guest posting today!  I highly encourage you to head over to Jill’s site, Mad about Macarons.  Her book is available on Amazon, Amazon Canada or with free worldwide shipping from The Book Depository!

39 Responses to Meeting Jill Colonna at Un Dimanche à Paris and a fig tart recipe

1. Kari @ bite-sized thoughts September 19, 2011 at 04:22 #

This tart looks amazing! I also love the short ingredients list – it goes to show that delicious (and rather fancy looking) doesn’t have to equate to over-complicated.

2. Liz September 19, 2011 at 06:46 #

What a lovely guest post, Mardi :)

Jill, this is one stunning tart! And I enjoyed the rundown of your tea date with Mardi. I would have over steeped my tea, too!!!

3. Dave at eRecipeCards September 19, 2011 at 08:00 #

I so love slice of life posts. Wonderfully written, stunning photos and a joy to be a fly on the wall. Thank you so much for the recipe and for the excellent post!

Dave

4. Jill@MadAboutMacarons September 19, 2011 at 08:10 #

Mardi,
    Thank you so much for being such a wonderful hostess. Love your photos of your pastries and the tea-timer. We need to return so that I can have what you had! Jill xo

5. Lindsey September 19, 2011 at 08:31 #

wish I had been able to meet up with Jill this summer but looks like she and i will have to plan something! Only wish you could be there too! Last time I went to Un Dimanche à Paris, I jumped the gun a bit. Their salon de thé doesn’t open until 3, I came at 11 hoping for a hot chocolate! Oops! On the (enormous) list of places to kick back.

6. Lora September 19, 2011 at 08:32 #

This tart looks divine. I love the touch of lavender. So fun the two of you met up, one of the perks of blogging!

7. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 19, 2011 at 09:21 #

That looks great! I’ve totally been obsessed with figs for about a year now, and I’m always looking for ways to use them.

8. penny aka jeroxie September 19, 2011 at 09:53 #

Amazing tart recipe. And i can’t wait till fig season :)

9. Nava Krishnan September 19, 2011 at 10:05 #

Honestly, I can’t remember tasting this fruit, not only its difficult to get here but its really pricey. Great outcome in making the tarts and what a gorgeous stand out color of the fruit.

10. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen September 19, 2011 at 11:44 #

What a lovely way to spend an afternoon! Just as well the tea police weren’t around Jill, especially when you’d specifically been given a timer! Gorgeous tart. I don’t bother buying figs here – they are usually pretty yuk by the time they’ve made the journey. Maybe they’d be ok cooked. Your tart looks so wonderful I have to try it soon.

11. Móna Wise September 19, 2011 at 12:12 #

So nice you teamed up and had tea!
    Yes, the timing of the tea is very important.
    The figs are beautiful and look so ripe. I am sure they tasted full of flavour and fall.

12. Eliot September 19, 2011 at 14:35 #

I would love to have a piece of this with a lovely cup of tea! I wish I could get fresh figs to try this.

13. Happy When Not Hungry September 19, 2011 at 19:33 #

Wow what a beautiful tart. I love fresh figs too!

14. Paula September 19, 2011 at 20:54 #

It is so simple of a recipe but the results are so exotic!

15. Adriana September 19, 2011 at 21:15 #

What a gorgeous post! I’m so happy you got to meet this summer – and that we get this great tart recipe from it.

16. ana patricia September 20, 2011 at 01:11 #

Wow! This looks amazing! I wish I had this recipe when we picked piles of figs from our trees this summer. Saving it for next year though!

17. Alyssa September 20, 2011 at 06:40 #

What a great looking tart! I’ve recently fell in love with figs so I’m pinning this one to remember. Great guest post!

18. Elyse @The Cultural Dish September 20, 2011 at 08:53 #

I was just watching a cooking show where the were using figs and they looked so delicious! Now your tart is making me crave them. It’s official, I now need to go out and make this! :)

19. Kaitlin September 20, 2011 at 10:25 #

Wow. What a gorgeous dish! I love figs!

20. Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker September 20, 2011 at 12:05 #

I have a bit of a bakers-crush on Jill and LOVE figs (use them every year in my birthday tart) so this was quite a delightful post to read. And what a recipe! Buzzed and saved, thanks!

21. Ann September 20, 2011 at 12:31 #

Wow – what a beautiful recipe…the figs are stunning! It sounded like your time together was lovely.

22. Confessions of a Culinary Diva September 20, 2011 at 18:00 #

I’ve recently rediscovered the joy of figs, and cannot wait to try this recipe.

Thanks for sharing!

23. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 20, 2011 at 22:05 #

What a stunning tart! I’m not a real huge fan of figs (weird, right?), but this makes me want to give them another shot.

24. FreeSpiritEater September 21, 2011 at 00:08 #

How wonderful to see the lovely Jill Colonna as a guest, and what an incredible job she did! Wonderful recipe, looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing =]

25. Sandra's Easy Cooking September 21, 2011 at 00:50 #

Hopping from Jill’s site and I love what she shared here on your website..by the way nice to meet you Mardi. This is really beautiful guest post, got to love charming Jill!

26. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 21, 2011 at 01:45 #

Hi Mardi! I came here from Jill’s website. Arh, this fig tart looks so good… I’m bookmarking this recipe and hope to try it soon. I hope I can line up those fig slices beautifully like Jill did it… It was a wonderful guest post and I enjoyed reading it. :-)

27. Spice Sherpa September 21, 2011 at 11:46 #

I’m here because I saw fresh figs. Pure and simple—figs are an expensive rarity here in New York state. That’s a hard reality to accept after growing up in California where we had fig trees in our back yard and growing wild along the path and buckets of figs could be had for nothing more than a little physical effort. Sigh. Lovely tart. I’m saving it and dreaming (and figuring out a way to grow figs in my 4-season backyard. Thank you!

28. Manu September 21, 2011 at 20:14 #

Ohhh that layer of almond, honey and orange water makes this tart a master piece! It sounds so delicious!!!

29. Tiffany September 22, 2011 at 08:21 #

Jill! Seriously, you NEVER cease to amaze!

30. Becky September 22, 2011 at 09:25 #

Mardi,
    I came over here from Jill’s blog. You were very lucky to have Quatre Heures with Jill and make wonderful memories over tea and chocolate

Jill, a great guest blog, and your pictures are stunning as always. I love reading about adventures in Paris.

31. ck September 24, 2011 at 01:11 #

As a fig lover (after all, who doesn’t?!), this looks divine and I am definitely going to have to try it when the season comes early next year.

32. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour September 29, 2011 at 09:51 #

Gorgeous fig tart!! That Jill is a master-o-macarons and now master-o-tarts as well! I thoroughly enjoyed this post!!

33. cat September 30, 2011 at 16:30 #

oh, that tart is beautiful!

34. Pauline October 2, 2011 at 05:04 #

Light pastries eh? I’m only jealous :-) Yummy fig tart, pass the cream.

35. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 8, 2011 at 08:16 #

Thank you all for your sweet comments about this lovely post from Jill! I am glad to see she has many fans, as she should – talented and down to earth, to boot! I wish you could all meet her!

36. Jill Colonna October 9, 2011 at 11:48 #

Gosh, Mardi, you’re making me blush. Ditto, my friend. Let me know next time you’re in Paris – we have to continue some serious pastry tastings! Thanks again for being such a wonderful host. J xo

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Mad about Macarons! Make Macarons like the French » Blog Archive » Guest Post over at EatLiveTravelWrite - September 19, 2011

[...] Today I’m thrilled to be a guest over at Mardi’s blog, EatLiveTravelWrite. [...]

2. Mad about Macarons! Make Macarons like the French » Blog Archive » Quick and Easy Fig Tart Recipe - September 22, 2011

[...] asked me to guest post on her blog, I was so excited.  Imagine being asked to do something for EatLiveTravelWrite?  When Mardi was last in Paris, we met up for goûter or quatre heures. What a wonderful afternoon [...]

3. Mad about Macarons! Make Macarons like the French » Blog Archive » Thank you for the Macarons - October 3, 2011

[...] the holidays, I mentioned that I met up with Mardi of EatLiveTravelWrite for an afternoon of tasting pastries and tea.  What I didn’t tell you is that we popped in [...]