French Fridays with Dorie: madeleines

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – honey spiced madeleines – was a little too complex for this new-to-madeleines baker so I chose to try my hand at plain ones instead. On our recent trip to France, on our very last day in Burgundy as I was, ahem, in a hypermarché acquiring a (cough cough) new suitcase, I was forced to made everyone go down every aisle, including kitchenware. Because clearly I need more kitchenware! And lo-and-behold, what came home in said new suitcase but a smart silicone madeleine mold.  I am not a huge fan of silicone but I was excited to see the madeleine shape and, you know, it doesn’t weigh anything…

Dorie’s recipe is easy – though it does suggest letting the batter rest for 3 hours up to overnight in the fridge. She also suggests the “bonne idée” of filling the madeleine molds with the batter before you let it rest. I wish I had done this. The somewhat liquidy batter was fairly solid when I came to it about 5 hours later. Kind of like soft spreadable cream cheese. I found the silicone molds to be a little slippery and difficult to fill since the batter kept slipping out. I guess that’s the point.  My madeleines puffed up a lot when they baked too, meaning the batter spilled over the edges, resulting in not-so-neat edges. That got a little crispy.

But the taste?

Well these were spectacular, if I do say so myself. Perfect “crumb”, a lovely freshness from the lemon zest, nice and moist but light. Beginner’s luck? I hope not.

I’ll be making these again, making even less than half the batter to accommodate my 9-madeleine mold, filling the molds before the batter rests and not filling them nearly as much.

Did we eat all of these?

Of course we did!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , ,

35 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: madeleines

1. Marina September 23, 2011 at 06:54 #

Your blog looks like food heaven :)

2. Jill Colonna September 23, 2011 at 07:49 #

These madeleines look just perfect – crispy golden edges and so soft and light inside. Big time YUM.
    This sounds like a super recipe. I think we got the same molds from that hypermarché and so will be interesting to find out how you get on with them later. Mine are now beginning to smell of well, material (silicone flavour?) I wish I knew what was going on since followed manufacturer’s mode d’emploi. Perhaps I just need to buy another set!

• Mr. Neil September 23, 2011 at 07:55 #

Well Mardi – ahem – seems to purchase new baking sheets about every six months, so I’m not sure she’ll ever get to the stage where she finds out…. ;-)

• Jill September 23, 2011 at 08:13 #

LoL!

3. Mr. Neil September 23, 2011 at 07:56 #

Simple, delightful, perfect breakfast nibble, lunch snack, after-dinner bite (with a touch of Limoncello).

4. Lindsey September 23, 2011 at 08:40 #

Love that there is a French pastry that is actually easy to make! And SO flavorful!

5. Curt September 23, 2011 at 09:01 #

What a coincidence, I was just on Dorie’s site reading about Madeleines. Now I came across yours in Food Buzz.

These sound so good, and I’ve never tried them before. Definitely on my “To Try” list.

6. Rose September 23, 2011 at 09:25 #

I too am a total sucker for kitchenware shops when I travel and I have purchased more than a few souvenirs that way. Just makes cooking with said souvenirs that much more exciting.

Your madeleines look delicious. I was actually wondering if I should have given the original recipe a try first, I may still give it a whirl.

7. Mindy September 23, 2011 at 09:30 #

Beautiful pictures. They make me want to try the recipe!

8. Steph I September 23, 2011 at 10:12 #

Mardi,
    Your madeleines are perfection! You should give the honey-spiced ones a whirl too…they have a terrific flavor!. Thanks for the ff on Twitter. :)

9. Joy September 23, 2011 at 10:38 #

Great job on the madeleine.

10. Sandi September 23, 2011 at 10:45 #

These ARE lovely!

11. Trevor Sis. Boom September 23, 2011 at 10:54 #

Just perfect! I actually had to take some kitchen scissors to trip up some of my edges but the crispy part is the best part of these…gives them character didn’t you think? I’ll be making the regular versions tonight.

12. Cher September 23, 2011 at 11:36 #

Frankly, I don’t consider a vacation/ trip successful unless I can sneak home at least one or two kitchen items :-)
    Beautiful cookies

13. stacy :) September 23, 2011 at 11:47 #

Lovely madeleines! I had crispy edges too, which were my husband’s favorite part. After reading all the madeleine posts I want to go home and make more…

14. cathy September 23, 2011 at 12:07 #

Ahem, as I recall i was in the aisle of loveliness and petit marsellais product!!!

15. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 23, 2011 at 12:28 #

These came out perfect! Very nice!

16. Ei September 23, 2011 at 13:09 #

I need to try the classic recipe. I think I’d like that one better. These look great, and it’s fun that your mold was a souvenir from France!

17. Adriana September 23, 2011 at 16:23 #

The crispy edges were my favorite! I loved the contrast they created with the rest of the cookie. The traditional ones are definitely on my to-try radar, although I’m still on the fence about buying a madeleine pan.

18. Frankly Entertaining September 23, 2011 at 16:31 #

I make it a point to visit the grocery store wherever I’m traveling. I think re-useable shopping bags are the best souvenirs! Your madeleines look wonderful!

19. Liz September 23, 2011 at 18:51 #

The true test of a great recipe is whether they disappear! So these were a winner! And at least you had no problems with sticking :)

20. Alice September 23, 2011 at 19:12 #

I love how you stacked them on their humps! LOL! I live in England and both my husband and I are addicted to kitchen/cookware shops! … we go in and troll the aisles to see if there is anything we want to bring home. I even stop into grocery stores abroad to see if there are any elusive ingredients I can’t get at home, or get for a smaller cost to fill my suitcases with! :) Glad you enjoyed them, these are a bit of a love-affair type cake for me!

21. Paula September 23, 2011 at 20:18 #

Honestly, I always head for the kitchen shops before I ever head for the shoe and clothing stores and can spend hours in one as I’m afraid to miss something I just might *have to have* for my kitchen.
    I saw an aluminum Madeleines pan in a kitchen shop a few weeks ago. It was a little pricey so I never picked it up but I’m on the look-out for a less expensive *model*. As I’ve never made Madeleines yet, this post was very helpful. For your first time out and especially with a silicon pan, I think your Madeleines look just wonderful. What matters most though is that they tasted good and I’m glad yours did.

22. Betsy September 23, 2011 at 22:09 #

That pile of madeleines looks fantastic. I can vouch for the fill before chill suggestion. I filled before bedtime, and baked them up in the morning. Simple! My favorite kitchenware brought home from a trip is the paella pan I bought in Spain — from the supermarket.

23. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 23, 2011 at 22:17 #

Your madeleines look so lovely! I have actually never made madeleines… And I’m not even sure if I have a mold. I think there may be one down in the basement with a bunch of pans that my grandmother dropped off a while ago. Now I think I am going to have to go check!!

24. Julia @ Mélanger September 24, 2011 at 00:18 #

I typically don’t like baking with silicone, but definitely agree, the weight would have been an advantage in your case! :) I remember visiting E.Dehillerin on my last trip, and wanting to throw everything else out of my suitcase to accommodate the entire store. LOL!

Your madeleines look lovely and light. Dorie’s recipes are all fabulous, aren’t they?

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! :)

25. ck September 24, 2011 at 01:05 #

These do look delicious, they look light as a feather. And wonderful photographs as always.

26. Katherine Martinelli September 24, 2011 at 03:10 #

Is there anything better than a good madeleine?? These look just lovely. I have Around My French Table but have yet to make these! Gotta get to it.

27. Confessions of a Culinary Diva September 24, 2011 at 15:38 #

You can never have too many kitchen items! And when your traveling you definitely have to check out the culinary merchandise – who knows if and when you’ll see it again. Love your Madeleine’s, they are the perfectly golden.

28. Karriann Graf September 24, 2011 at 17:45 #

What a great treat! Happy baking!

29. Elyse @The Cultural Dish September 25, 2011 at 09:37 #

I love madeleines! I even sometimes add coconut or almond flavoring and dip half of the batch in chocolate! These are such great cookies and I love that they can be eaten during practically any meal! Love your photos! :)

30. Stephanie September 25, 2011 at 18:46 #

yummm! I’ve always wanted to try making these but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Yours look so good for a first try… hope mine turn out too!

31. Jesús September 25, 2011 at 20:21 #

J’adore madeleines!

The best in Mexico City are sold at JASO restaurant.

32. The Cilantropist September 26, 2011 at 00:35 #

Can you believe I have never made madeleines?? They always look so perfect – and yours are no exception – and I know they taste great. I just have to get the right pan… Thanks for sharing your recipe!

33. penny aka jeroxie October 1, 2011 at 08:08 #

looks good to me! you are ready for the next batch