French Fridays with Dorie: Deconstructed BLT and eggs

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was one I had been looking to since I first got the book.  I mean, who doesn’t love bacon, lettuce and tomato, especially when it’s paired with eggs!  I chose to serve this with Dorie’s soft-boiled eggs instead of hard boiled eggs, forgoing the mayonnaise as the runny yolk makes up for the lack of mayo.  The soft yolk works well with the crunchy croutons, too – it’s like a fancied up version of dippy soldiers.

I served this for Sunday breakfast – it literally took 15 minutes to put together from start to finish. I really should make this more often – it’s a perfect breakfast/ brunch/ light lunch/ breakfast for dinner….

I also loved that I was able to whip up Dorie’s basic vinaigrette even before I had my morning coffee. Mustard (Dijon, straight from Burgundy!), olive oil and red wine vinegar – who needs bottled salad dressings anyway? If I can make a salad dressing sans café, you all can to!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

* Did you enter my “Family Favourites: Healthy meals for those who matter most” book giveaway yet? (US/ Canadian residents only, sorry!).  Contest closes on Sunday October 2nd at 6pm EST – enter here.

, , , , ,

82 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Deconstructed BLT and eggs

1. Liz September 30, 2011 at 06:19 #

Gorgeous photos, Mardi!!!! Wasn’t this yummy????

2. Jenn September 30, 2011 at 06:25 #

Oh this is beautiful, Mardi! Love the deconstructed BLT idea – all my favorite ingredients in a lovely salad – and I also prefer soft-boiled eggs, great idea :)

3. Rose September 30, 2011 at 06:25 #

Ooh, that egg looks perfect. I bet a soft boiled egg would be great with this salad, and I also like the idea of serving it for breakfast or brunch.

4. Mr. Neil September 30, 2011 at 08:09 #

It was I who had this delivered to me, whilst sitting on a sunny porch reading the New York Times having an espresso. Can I just say how delightful an experience that was? :-)

I’m a BLT fan, but this elevated the dish to snazzy brunch fare. And yes, the toast soldiers much better than hard-boiled eggs.

Alas, no wine pairing: it WAS before 10.00!

5. Elin September 30, 2011 at 08:40 #

Mardi…I love the eggs with the runny yolk…lovely salad and once again Dorie never fails to give a good recipe :) I was not able to make this salad in time for FFWD but will definitely make this salad after seeing how nice and tasty this salad is from all the Doristas :)

6. Frankly Entertaining September 30, 2011 at 08:47 #

Your eggs look perfect. I made mine the night before, so soft boiled wasn’t an option, but I’ll definitely try it next time!

7. Cher September 30, 2011 at 09:03 #

Your salad is lovely – but I am even more impressed that you were able to get it out in 15 minutes!

8. Alice September 30, 2011 at 09:19 #

Oh my sexy eggs!!!! I want to make this again right this second with a soft boiled egg! I added avocados to mine and it was great, but I think it could be amazing with a soft boiled egg!! ….. *drool* …..

9. RavieNomNoms September 30, 2011 at 09:56 #

I LOVE this….it looks so good. I am such a big fan of the BLT

10. Maya September 30, 2011 at 09:57 #

I didn’t have time to make this this week, but yours looked so delicious I may just have to rustle it up for our Sunday breakfast!

11. Sanjeeta kk September 30, 2011 at 10:03 #

Simple and easy recipes like these are a winner any time!

12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 30, 2011 at 10:32 #

This looks delicious! Great pics too!

13. Alyssa September 30, 2011 at 10:55 #

Your salad looks really great! I like that you did your eggs differently, looks really tasty!

14. Melissa@EyesBigger September 30, 2011 at 11:18 #

Dippy soldiers!! I haven’t heard that in ages – you just made me think of my mom :) This actually makes me think of a Cobb salad!

15. Ei September 30, 2011 at 12:13 #

What the heck is wrong with me? I felt like this took forever to make. I’m no good at juggling multiple components. Yours looks great! I think the soft-boiled egg would be better than hard. Impressed you busted out the vinaigrette pre-coffee.

16. Kelly September 30, 2011 at 12:26 #

Gorgeous picture, this looks incredible! :)

17. Stephanie September 30, 2011 at 12:28 #

What is it about runny egg yolks in photos that just makes me swoon? Your salad looks amazing and now I was Dorrie’s book more than ever

18. Joy September 30, 2011 at 13:24 #

Ohh that looks so good.

19. Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! September 30, 2011 at 13:45 #

Nothing like a runny egg on salad greens. My fave.

20. cat September 30, 2011 at 16:23 #

love the idea of a blt salad! i’m thinking it might take a few tries for me to get those eggs right, though . . .

21. Steph I September 30, 2011 at 16:38 #

Yep, should have gone with the soft boiled egg…the runny yolk is exactly what this dish needed! Lovely, as always.

22. Lola September 30, 2011 at 17:50 #

I wish I had left my yolks soft. We liked the salad just found it sort of uninspiring.

23. Paula September 30, 2011 at 18:29 #

Oh my! This looks delicious! Your soft cooked eggs are perfect and I can truly imagine how yummy they were mixed in with the crunchy croutons. A little envious of Mr. Neil at this moment ;)

24. Cucina49 September 30, 2011 at 18:37 #

OK, that is gorgeous! I love your French Fridays series.

25. SoupAddict September 30, 2011 at 20:39 #

After I finished this salad, I released the one thing it was missing with thick, delicious runny yolk. I cheer your forethought! [applause!]

26. Confessions of a Culinary Diva September 30, 2011 at 20:42 #

The photos are gorgeous and almost make me want to try the runny egg. It would make a great Sunday breakfast – wish I had thought of that!
    Happy French Friday!

27. Betsy September 30, 2011 at 20:56 #

I never thought of this for brunch. And those soft-boiled eggs make it look more luscious that the original. What a great idea.

28. Anna September 30, 2011 at 23:04 #

Deconstructing is an art! I love how you have created a new twist in an otherwise plain BLT sandwich.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 16, 2011 at 10:07 #

Thanks – it was not meant to be a sandwich and it wasn’t my idea – it’s all Dorie!

29. Rhonda October 1, 2011 at 00:11 #

BLT’s are my most favorite sandwich of all time and a soft boiled egg…be still by heart. I suddenly have an intense craving!

30. Ann October 1, 2011 at 00:17 #

This looks amazing! Your photos are a feast for the eyes….beautifully done!

31. Marina October 1, 2011 at 04:04 #

I already saw this on Lizzy’s blog and it definitely looks great! :)

32. penny aka jeroxie October 1, 2011 at 08:01 #

Looks really really good. I love the replacement of runny eggs

33. Sandi October 1, 2011 at 08:17 #

The colors in this recipe are perfectly done!

34. Trevor Sis. Boom. October 1, 2011 at 11:41 #

I am so glad to see that you didn’t cook the heck out of that egg. When I get to this this weekend I’m going to make the runniest egg I can just to freak everyone out. Yummy!

35. Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 1, 2011 at 17:29 #

The runny yolk makes his perfect!

36. JK Tasty Mayhem October 1, 2011 at 21:21 #

Another one with the soft boiled egg! Excellent. I am definitely going with this version next time.

37. jora October 2, 2011 at 12:10 #

Using soft-boiled eggs is such a great idea, and yours came out perfect. Really beautiful. I wish I had thought of that!

38. The Mistress of Spices October 2, 2011 at 15:21 #

This looks wonderful! After a few hectic weeks of travelling for work, I had every intention of making this for this week’s FFWD, but was dead tired at the end of the week. Your version looks delicious and makes me think that I need to make this regularly anyway, FFWD or not!

39. Christine October 2, 2011 at 16:57 #

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

40. Lindsey@Lindselicious October 2, 2011 at 20:47 #

Ooh this looks so good- look at that sexy egg oozing golden goodness!! congrats on Top 9!

41. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 6, 2011 at 14:28 #

What a beautifully simple dish. Looks amazing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. General Life Update…If You’re Interested… « Dan's Good Side - October 1, 2011

[...] part of is Food Bloggers Of Canada. Set up by three dedicated, as well as prolific, food bloggers Mardi, Ethan, and Melissa. This site is meant to be a hub for all Canadian food bloggers. A place where [...]