French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy, cheesy, garlicky rice with spinach

People often ask me how I manage to fit in each week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipes. Well here’s my secret – when the Dorie recipes come out each month, I plan my menus for get-togethers with friends well in advance, to make sure I fit the recipes in.  So my friends always know that when they come over there will necessarily be a sometimes odd mélange of dishes that they will need to give me their honest feedback on. What I love about this approach is that it makes me sometimes think out of the box in terms of what I serve and I get the bonus of feedback from someone other than Neil and myself!

This week’s recipe – Creamy, cheesy, garlicky rice with spinach – was an easy, comfort-food meal that I unfortunately chose to serve on one of the hottest days of the summer.  On the day itself, it was tasty enough (though it was way too hot to be eating a risotto-type dish)but it was really, really good the next day as leftovers.  I fried it up in a tiny bit of olive oil, making sure to get some golden crispy bits and served it with some basil and lemon zest.  A perfect simple lunch that brightened up Labour Day after the weather had turned all rainy and cold on us.  I’ll be making this again, for sure. In the winter!

Dorie Greenspan garlicky spinachy riceWant to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

* Did you enter my wine giveaway yet? Contest closes Wednesday September 14th at 6pm EST. I will announce the winner on Thursday September 15th.  Bonne chance!

, , ,

51 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy, cheesy, garlicky rice with spinach

1. The Mistress of Spices September 9, 2011 at 06:38 #

So that’s what it looks like with the fresh spinach…gorgeous! I love your addition of the basil and lemon zest – I’ll try that next time. And thanks for the tips on fitting in your FFWD dishes/posts…I was wondering how on earth I will manage to be regular about it!

2. Adriana September 9, 2011 at 06:42 #

I love how you crisped up those bits of rice for contrast. The lemon zest and basil must have added the zing I was missing from the recipe as written. It was delicious although a bit too rich for my taste.

3. Deborah Dowd September 9, 2011 at 06:48 #

This sounds so delicious! I was hoping to make it tonight, but alas, I don’t have this book and even Amazon can’t get it here that fast!

4. Alyssa September 9, 2011 at 06:51 #

Oh, I like your version with the basil and lemon! I thought it was really good, but it’s really hot here too, so I just cranked up the a/c while we ate it :)

5. Maya September 9, 2011 at 06:59 #

Great idea to plan your dinner party menus ahead of time and include FFWD recipes as part of the menus. Your rice looks more risotto-ish than mine, I probably overdid it with the cheese (2 cups!)…but oh, it tasted SO good!

6. Liz September 9, 2011 at 07:36 #

Mmmmm….your leftover idea is brilliant! I’d love a bit of crispiness with this dish. And it really isn’t a dish for a hot day, is it??? It was in the high 90′s when I made it last week~

7. Jill@MadAboutMacarons September 9, 2011 at 07:54 #

Stunning photos: just want to grab that fork and taste. Adore risotto and this one looks so colourful and creamy. Wish I lived around the corner and could drop in as one of your testers!

8. Mr. Neil September 9, 2011 at 08:06 #

Hmmm…not sure what happened, but I seemed to have “missed” this on the weekend. It seemed rather bland and forgettable, certainly one I would not think Mardi would want to repeat.

Maybe it just got lost in the shuffle, or overshadowed by the ceviche and cheese?

I’ll give it another go, for the sake of blog thoroughness… :-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 19, 2011 at 18:19 #

You were just too hot and bothered to eat it. And bugged by the wasps. We’ll make this again!

9. Cher September 9, 2011 at 08:42 #

I thought this made for wonderful leftovers.
    The lemon zest is a great idea – those finishing touches do make a difference.

10. The Travelling Chopsticks September 9, 2011 at 09:23 #

This looked absolutley lovely! Rice is my weakness, especially when it is cheesy and creamy…hence I try to avoid it as much as possible for the sake of the wasteline. But you made me want go out and buy Around my French Table immediately! Great post thank you for sharing.

11. one expat's life September 9, 2011 at 09:49 #

I imagine that this would be a little too heavy for a hot summer day, but happy to hear that you got to enjoy it as leftovers. We enjoyed it as well, perhaps a bit rich to make often, but tasty in any case.

12. RavieNomNoms September 9, 2011 at 10:31 #

This looks fantastic!! I would totally eat this for dinner

13. Belinda @zomppa September 9, 2011 at 15:48 #

Cheese, garlic, rice. Three precious things that clearly work well together.

14. Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily September 9, 2011 at 16:21 #

Sounds like I need a new cookbook! ;)

15. Melissa@EyesBigger September 9, 2011 at 18:41 #

Ok, this recipe might just actually make me buy the book (because I need another cookbook like I need a hole in the head). But I’m a sucker for risotto-ish dishes and garlic. mmmm…

16. Steph I September 9, 2011 at 18:54 #

Love leftovers and this rice made the perfect leftovers. Your addition of zest and basil was a terrific idea!

17. Krissy September 10, 2011 at 02:17 #

I love your photos…so colorful and bright and inviting. I know what you mean about planning out the meals so that all this recipes can be fitted in…life is too busy. I’m amazed that I can get a post put together…usually sometime in the night when I don’t sleep. But I enjoy this new hobby…well, we’ve been doing this for about a year, and as I look back over the year, I’m impressed with all that we all have gotten done!

18. Elin September 10, 2011 at 07:52 #

beautiful pictures and I like the fact that you added basil and lemon zest to it :) I will add them to my cheesy rice the next time I make this :)

19. Betsy September 10, 2011 at 11:51 #

This was definitely NOT hot weather food. But so delicious.
    I admire your advanced planning. I try, but I’ll never get there.

20. FreeSpiritEater September 10, 2011 at 16:25 #

This looks absolutely delish! And the photos are stunning too! Thanks for sharing =]

21. Alice September 10, 2011 at 17:07 #

I like to have my friends over for dinner on FFwD nights too! :) A lot more fun and the feedback is great too!

22. Ann September 10, 2011 at 20:52 #

What a GREAT way to do it! I bet your friends LOVE coming over, too! This one looks amazing!

23. My Traveling Troop September 15, 2011 at 20:17 #

I’m a big fan of cheese and spinach. So, I’ll definitely have to put this recipe on my To Cook List! :)

Cheers,
    Kristina

24. JK Tasty Mayhem September 18, 2011 at 17:49 #

I have to admit, there is nothing better than fried/crisped leftover rice. About once a year we make risotto for friends, and then indulge in fried risotto cakes sprinkled with parmesan and herbs the next day.

25. K A B L O O E Y September 19, 2011 at 23:23 #

That’s the NAME of the recipe?? Oh. My. God. I have to break down and buy this book. (My only hesitation is… well… you know how I am with recipes. I have to improvise, even though they are written by experts and I, clearly, am not one.) This sounds so delicious, and your next day improv. sounds even better. Hey… maybe that’s my answer? The next day improv?

26. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 20, 2011 at 22:23 #

Oh, yum! I don’t make rice nearly enough… Love the look of this dish!

27. cat September 30, 2011 at 16:38 #

cream, cheese, garlic, spinach – four of my favorite things. i have finally put the cookbook on my amazing wishlist. :)