French Fridays with Dorie: Citrus-berry terrine

It seems like SO long ago that I made this week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish – Citrus-berry terrine.  In fact, I served it when we invited friends over to help us eat last month’s hot dogs and weisswurst for Charcutepalooza because I figured after all that meat, we would need a light dessert!  When I saw this was a dessert with gelatin, I knew a few people might turn up their noses (in fact, some of the people at the dinner were the same ones I made suffer through the Weight Watchers’ gelatin fest last year…) so I just didn’t tell them. I said it was a lovely fruity dessert that would cleanse the palate after all that meat!

Since I have been in France, I have seen so many (especially savoury) gelées – they really are popular here, especially in the warmer weather.  The French don’t shun gelatin like many other nationalities. Because you know there’s more to gelatin than Jell-O.

I mean, isn’t that beautiful?  The gorgeous summer berries suspended in the orange gelée really do stop you in your tracks.  I used strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries as well as the oranges and grapefruit segments and was impressed with the clarity of the gelée, even with all that fruit mixed in!

It’s like the most elevated Jell-O dessert ever. And literally took about 30 minutes to prepare, then a few hours to chill in the fridge (you can chill overnight).

I served it with leftover berries that I macerated in a little sugar to get some juices out of them to make a kind of fruity syrup to pour over.

I really enjoyed this and can see it’s perfect for very warm weather. Unlike, ahem, here in France right now…..  Am not sure I would make it again but I loved learning the technique.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Keep up with me this summer through my Summer 2011 Flickr set. I will be updating this with day to day pictures (read: not all food photos!) fairly regularly so head on over there if you are interested. You never know what or who you might see there, like, you know… Dorie….

Also, today I am featured on Franco File Fridays over on Lost in Cheeseland – head on over to check it out!

, , , , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Citrus-berry terrine

1. Dessert By Candy July 29, 2011 at 02:31 #

Agree that this is the quinessential summer dessert. Too bad there’s so much stigma against gelatine dessert. I was surprised by the clarity too.

2. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 02:57 #

Your lovely terrine is packed full of fruits, and looked really, really light despite the gelatine. I can see why you enjoyed it so much!

3. one expat's life July 29, 2011 at 04:05 #

Your berry terrine looks just lovely.

And I live in Germany so I feel your pain on the weather front, this has been the most miserable summer I can remember. I was sitting at an outdoor cafe yesterday in a turtleneck and scarf!

4. Eliot July 29, 2011 at 05:53 #

Why, oh,why would one buy a box of jello again? I am sold!

5. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 08:36 #

I probably would have shied away from this recipe because of the gelatin. You’ve made me realize how elegant it is and gelatin isn’t a thing to fear from our past.
    Merci.
    Sam

6. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes July 29, 2011 at 08:55 #

I like a little Jello now and then. I’m sure I’d love you elegant version.

7. Liz July 29, 2011 at 09:12 #

Mardi, your terrine is stunning! I love that you served it topped with more berries…mmmmmm.

8. Cher July 29, 2011 at 09:48 #

This is truly lovely, Mardi.
    I wish something like this had been around in my youth instead of the odd Jell-o salads of potluck lore…

9. Kate@Diethood July 29, 2011 at 10:40 #

That is gorgeous! I love that you added those macerated berries…I would have enjoyed that extra sweetness.

10. K A B L O O E Y July 29, 2011 at 10:44 #

This is a beautiful dessert, that I, a Jell-O, aspic and gelatin enemy, could love. I didn’t grow up with any of those molded Jell-O salads, just regular Jell-0 with the occasional addition of canned pineapple, but I just don’t like the stuff. Hope to change my mind if I keep seeing things as pretty as this. But still — it’s wiggly, right?

11. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures July 29, 2011 at 11:05 #

Looks incredibly delicious!

12. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family July 29, 2011 at 11:56 #

This looks wonderful with the fruit suspended…love the summer berries.

13. Curt July 29, 2011 at 11:58 #

It’s pushing 90 degrees today and getting warmer eah day. That looks just perfect for a day like this!

14. April @ Girl Gone Gourmet July 29, 2011 at 12:29 #

Your photos are amazing! This dessert looks so refreshing and delicious and I’m sure will convert anyone with a fruit/gelatin aversion :)

15. Steph I July 29, 2011 at 12:57 #

Mardi, As usual, your photos are to die for! You really captured the essence of this lovely dessert. Makes me want to try it again!

16. Kathleen July 29, 2011 at 20:32 #

This really looks gorgeous!

17. Ann July 30, 2011 at 00:13 #

Absolutely stunning – it’s like a slice of sunshine…

18. Betsy July 30, 2011 at 18:48 #

French terrine is so much more elegant than Jell-O. Yours looks beautiful. I especially like the berries spooned over it. Lovely.

19. penny aka jeroxie July 31, 2011 at 10:06 #

What a pretty pretty terrine. And just perfect for summer

20. Vicki @ WITK July 31, 2011 at 10:45 #

This is such a pretty dessert! It looks like the perfect thing to have with all this hot weather we’ve been having this summer!

21. Lola July 31, 2011 at 13:53 #

Gorgeous pictures! We loved this at my house.

22. Adriana July 31, 2011 at 21:33 #

Your terrine looks fantastic and I love the idea of serving it as a ‘palate cleanser’ after your Charcutepalooza meals. The macerated berries look fantastic. I’ll definitely make those when I try it with a grapefruit juice base.

23. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 5, 2011 at 00:20 #

This looks so beautiful, Mardi!

24. Paula August 6, 2011 at 12:16 #

Beautiful, refreshing dessert Mardi. Love the first dish it was photographed in too.