Les Petits Chefs in the Canadian Living test kitchen!

I was so fortunate to meet Adell Shneer at a Women’s Culinary Network event in Toronto back in November.  Not only does she have a dream job working for Canadian Living which I find absolutely fascinating (and would love to know more about – hint hint!), but she immediately offered to come and work with Les Petits Chefs as part of our guest chef series this term.

Adell was just recently promoted to Test Kitchen Manager, but has been with the magazine as a Food Specialist, then a Senior Food Specialist since 2005.  Her role as Manager capitalizes on her amazing cooking and people skills.  In this key role on the Canadian Living Test Kitchen team, Adell is faced with the task of developing hundreds of new recipes and ensuring that each and every recipe meets the Tested Til Perfect stamp of approval. Adell has done numerous live and television appearances and is passionate about her profession and brings a zesty energy, creativity and a welcome warmth to all her endeavours.

One of the things I really like about the Canadian Living food section is that so many recipes are quick and easy without looking like they took you 30 minutes.  What could be better than sitting down to a from-scratch meal in under an hour? Well, how about a soup and a pasta dish in under an hour prepared by 10 boys under the age of 11?  Yes, you read that right – Adell chose to prepare Tex-Mex tomato rice soup and Quick and Easy chicken piccata linquini with the boys.

Some of our Petits Chefs were off at the warplane museum on Monday so I invited some other boys to come and join in to make up the numbers.  We had a mix of Grades 4 and 5, and after introducing herself and chatting briefly about her job, Adell divvied up the jobs and made her way around all five stations, helping the boys out with their tasks.

Jalpeños were chopped. Sans tears!

(thanks Adell for providing the gloves. Jamie was not in any danger of having to use the eye bath as poor Liam had to last year!)

Soon, the kitchen science lab was filled with wonderful smells…

Causing passers-by to stop and peep in at the organized chaos that is Les Petits Chefs!  However, out of the chaos, the boys produced two professional looking dishes that received rave reviews from both the boys and the parents of those who managed to save them a little taste!

Tex-Mex tomato rice soup. This one has a kick! You can definitely taste the two jalapeño peppers.  I love that we prepared this chunky-style – it’s lovely and rustic.  One of the boys took it home and puréed it and served it to his whole family in shot glasses. I had better watch myself, huh?

And Quick and Easy chicken piccata linguini. This is a fabulous dish for the spring/ summer – it doesn’t require much preparation and is fresh and light.

Thank you so much Adell for sharing your enthusiasm and expertise with the boys – I know they will be making these recipes again :)

, , , , , ,

41 Responses to Les Petits Chefs in the Canadian Living test kitchen!

1. Mr. Neil June 2, 2011 at 07:16 #

…and thank you, LPC, for my lunch treat yesterday! Having spent the weekend helping cook for 70, I was delighted by this surprise in my lunch bag.

Loved the kick, and I must say not knowing what it was, for a moment I was confused as it almost seemed a sort of “rice gazpacho” to be eaten cold. (I tried; the spice worked well.) In the end I did zap it, to great effect.

My only complaint was that the bowl was too small, and I didn’t have a zesty lager to accompany it. :-)

2. kitchenarian June 2, 2011 at 07:30 #

Great post. I remember when I was working at SLT and my children were younger, I always signed them up for the kid’s cooking classes. They loved it and I loved watching all of those children working together to create great dishes. I was always a bit nervous when 10 children were chopping with knives at the same time! haha

3. Liz June 2, 2011 at 07:35 #

Oh, I love seeing the little chefs in action…SO wonderful! And the resulting dishes are both beautiful and delicious!!! How fun!

4. penny aka jeroxie June 2, 2011 at 08:26 #

your boys are really fortunate! And always great to see little chefs :)

5. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective June 2, 2011 at 09:16 #

What fun! Looks like they did a good job. :)

6. Adell Shneer June 2, 2011 at 09:19 #

Hi Mademoiselle Mardi and Les Petit Chefs,
    Thanks for the fun in the kitchen! Your little chefs are so impressive- what a team effort! Next time shall we try and tackle three dishes in an hour?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:47 #

Adell thanks SO much for coming out to work with the boys. And you’re on – 3 dishes in an hour – totally doable!!!

7. FA-BU-LOUS!

8. Helene June 2, 2011 at 10:53 #

Sounds like so much fun. What a great job she has. Thanks for the pictures.

9. Paula June 2, 2011 at 12:15 #

Another wonderful opportunity for Les Petits Chefs to hone their ever expanding skills and how nice of you to invite other boys to the class! Enjoyed this post and the photos and the creative idea of one of your students to puree the soup and serve it in shot glasses!

10. Sprinkling of Sugar June 2, 2011 at 12:29 #

WOW I wish I could have been there, so adorable and delicious!

11. Belinda @zomppa June 2, 2011 at 13:40 #

What a great opportunity!! Glad they had the gloves – those do a number on me!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:44 #

Well we’ve had a legendary session where one little chef rubbed his eyes – he’s gone down in history – so everyone is cautious now!

12. Chris's Gourmet Fashion June 2, 2011 at 14:25 #

What an amazing opportunity for the kids. Must have been fun for them to eat their own creations. You are quite courageous allowing them to use those knives.

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 2, 2011 at 14:27 #

What a great opportunity! Love all the kids in the kitchen! What a wonderful job!

14. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 2, 2011 at 16:11 #

I always love reading about what Les Petits Chefs are up to… These look like some more fantastic recipe ideas!

15. Ethan June 2, 2011 at 17:44 #

I’m usually always jealous of Les Petits Chefs and now even more so than they had the chance to meet AND cook with Adell! Everything looks terrific. Bravo a tous!

• Mr. Neil June 2, 2011 at 18:04 #

Just don’t start thinking that once you move to Toronto, you get to work your way in on my canteen donations from the boys… ;-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:42 #

Yes it was a fun afternoon!

16. Geoff June 2, 2011 at 18:05 #

These little guys are doing great. One of the great outcomes of introducing chefs/culinary experts to run the occasional session will be to expand the youngsters’ horizons about food. They won’t like everything they make, but – by the end of it all – they will like many more things (good things) than would otherwise have been the case. While les petits chefs is in session, it must be hell for the rest of the school having to deal with the wafting aromas. Lovely piece today.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:42 #

Well it IS after school so it’s only torturous for those in after care or coming in from sports practices… so hard for them! I so agree that they are more willing to taste what they make…

17. Kate@Diethood June 2, 2011 at 22:03 #

Your little chefs are amazing! I love that gorgeous tomato rice soup… as my little chef would say, “Bravo!” :)

18. sara @CaffeIna June 2, 2011 at 23:56 #

These was really a great guest chef to have for Les Petits Chefs! I bet they had tons of fun!

19. Kimmy @ Lighter and Local June 5, 2011 at 16:04 #

I love your LPC posts. They’re always so fun and inspiring all at the same time. This was such a great opportunity for them and they whipped up some amazing looking dishes!

20. SMITH BITES June 5, 2011 at 18:33 #

Mardi ~ i absolutely LOVE that you teach kids to cook!! you’re extremely multi-talented and i so appreciate you!!

21. Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com June 6, 2011 at 22:18 #

I expect to see LPC featured in a prominent magazine in the near future! (with their teacher as a guest contributor of course!)