International Incident Party: Terrine

The theme of this month’s International Incident Party: Terrines, had me in a bit of a quandary.  Typically, when you think terrine, meat comes to mind, but to be honest, I have been so up to my ears in meat (literally!) with last month’s Charcutepalooza sausage stuffing challenge and this month’s emulsified sausage (hot dogs and wursts) challenge that I couldn’t face the thought of making another meat dish.  But I was determined to take part anyway…

My mind, as it is wont to do, wandered to dessert – I spent a little while looking at my cookbooks then online and I happened across a recipe for chocolate terrine over at Lynda’s lovely blog, TasteFood that reminded me of a dessert I cannot wait to get my hands on as soon at I make my way to a Monoprix in Paris later this week (insert excited grin here!) – Rians Fondant au Chocolat avec son pot de crème anglaise.  It must be said that this was a favourite feature of a New Years’ Eve dinner Neil and I enjoyed with our dear friends Cathy and Alicia in Dinan (Brittany) a couple of years ago. I mean, who can resist?

I could tell immediately from Lynda’s pictures that it was pretty much the exact dessert (only better) that I have so often enjoyed in France and set to work making it. It involves a rather large amount of eggs and cream and chocolate – so really, how can you go wrong?  It turns out, it’s WAY richer than the Rians version (and SO much better…). Thin slices are a necessity…

Yes, it’s a solid mousse-like cake-terrine so requires two hands to cut…

But look how beautiful it is. You can tell it’s decadent even before you taste it.

I served it with a classic crème anglaise (from The Joy of Cooking) and it was perfect.

Plate-lickingly good.

I enjoyed it so much that I made it again a couple of days later (it really only takes about 15 minutes to put together – so easy!) and took it to our staff end of year potluck lunch. It was devoured.

Thanks Penny for hosting the Party this month – I’m glad I was all “meated out” and took the time to search for a dessert terrine because now I know how to make a better version of one of my favourite French supermarket desserts ever!

Don’t forget to check what everyone else brought!

68 Responses to International Incident Party: Terrine

1. Liz June 27, 2011 at 21:15 #

I think you’ve just made MY favorite kind of terrine! How incredibly delicious this must be!!!

2. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen June 27, 2011 at 21:16 #

Mardi, you know this is MY kind of terrine! Dessert, chocolate, plenty of eggs and cream… in fact, why in heavens name did I make a vegetarian terrine? You said 15 minutes to make…ok, I’m right onto it! Totally mouthwatering choice, Mardi, I love it.

3. Evan Thomas June 27, 2011 at 21:19 #

Beautiful. I was JUST wondering what to do with 4 egg yolks I have left over, too. This looks like a perfect use.

4. Lynn June 27, 2011 at 21:20 #

This looks amazing.. like pure chocolate heaven!

5. kitchenarian June 27, 2011 at 21:29 #

Deliciously decadent. Great job.

6. Adriana June 27, 2011 at 21:33 #

Wow Mardi! I can almost taste the creme anglaise with the rich chocolate – it’s one of my favorite combinations. Bon voyage!

7. K A B L O O E Y June 27, 2011 at 22:26 #

Oh, my god. This looks like the best thing ever. I want to be buried in it and eat my way out! Also: my cookbook finally came, so as soon as I cook something with Moochie, I’ll post and link! Thank you.

8. Ann June 27, 2011 at 22:43 #

Wow – beautiful job! Chocolate is always in style….

9. Lynda June 27, 2011 at 23:32 #

I am so happy you tried this! Thanks for linking and have a wonderful trip to Paris > read jealous :)

10. Ethan June 27, 2011 at 23:49 #

I can attest to its plate-licking worthiness as I was lucky enough to have a slice of it. It is decadent and paired with the creme anglaise is magic!

11. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz June 28, 2011 at 00:30 #

OMG that looks dangerously divine! I would become addicted. I love any dessert that if hefty enough that it requires 2 hands to cut lol. Just luscious.

12. leaf (the indolent cook) June 28, 2011 at 08:13 #

Ooh… that looks like total chocolate decadence!

13. April @ Girl Gone Gourmet June 28, 2011 at 08:15 #

Delicious, decadent and easy to make? I’m in trouble now… :) Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!

14. penny aka jeroxie June 28, 2011 at 08:18 #

you know that I love love chocolate right? I want a big big slice please. and also enjoy your trip babe!!

15. Yuri June 28, 2011 at 09:28 #

Chocolate terrine? this is a great idea, Mardi :D

16. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom June 28, 2011 at 09:43 #

Given the choice, I would always go for chocolate over meat. I don’t know about these thin slices though — just hand me a fork :]

17. Lou (PleaseDoNotFeedTheAnimals) June 28, 2011 at 09:49 #

Mmmm – this looks amazing. I was disappointed when you said you weren’t going to do a meat terrine as I love them but my disappointment soon vanished when I saw what you made instead, Looks like a dream!

18. Paula June 28, 2011 at 10:13 #

Oh My! If this doesn’t look like a rich and delicious dessert I don’t know what will. Beautiful Mardi!

P.S. Wondering if Neil has a wine to go with this or is it just too perfect all by itself?

19. Valerie June 28, 2011 at 13:11 #

I’ve made one too! It was delicious!! The only problem was not putting the plastic thing… So imagine the result! haha

20. cathy June 28, 2011 at 13:29 #

Roll on Juillet et les petits pots de creme anglaise!
    Really I’m after the yoghurts that make you skinnier than une belle parisienne cos if we eat this for 2 weeks we’ll explode!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 19:59 #

And let’s not forget the one that nourishes your skin from the inside! Can’t wait to see you!

• cathy July 4, 2011 at 13:18 #

Ha ha! I’d forgotten that one. I also want the breakfast cereal with the chocolate flakes!

21. Jessica June 28, 2011 at 15:21 #

Oh this is gorgeous!!! I love the color and the richness of your chocolate terrine – definitely my favorite kind of terrine.

22. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 28, 2011 at 16:05 #

This looks delicious! Sinful, and decadent! Great post!

23. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets June 28, 2011 at 16:46 #

The most decadent and appealing terrine I could imagine — just divine!

24. Kimmy @ Lighter and Local June 28, 2011 at 18:24 #

I love desserts with rich, dark, sinful chocolate… this is right up my alley!

25. Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com June 28, 2011 at 19:13 #

Now this is a terrine I could get behind! Your pictures are just so mouthwatering! Can’t wait to see all of the food you enjoy in Paris!!

26. Oui, Chef June 28, 2011 at 21:01 #

A deep, dark , dense slab of chocolate swimming in creme anglaise…what could be better. Thanks for this one (you too Lynda) – S

27. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 29, 2011 at 08:16 #

Oh that does look ridiculously rich! I’d be licking that plate clean.

28. Trix June 29, 2011 at 08:29 #

I love your variation of a terrine! When I saw the photo at first I thought: Wow, that is the smoothest pate I’ve ever seen! lol. I can certainly see why it would be a hit at a potluck – and it definitely looks like it takes longer than 15 minutes to make!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 19:54 #

Oh don’t get me started with smooth meat stuffs. Ugh. So meated out!!! And yes, this totally looks like it took more than 15 minutes to make!

29. Stephanie - The Travel Chica June 29, 2011 at 17:57 #

The looks incredible! Chocolate is my weakness.

30. Kitchen Butterfly June 29, 2011 at 17:59 #

Chocolate heaven. Some would happily die and go up….to have a slice of this!

31. Mike@The Culinary Lens June 29, 2011 at 18:28 #

This looks so nice. I love the contrast of chocolate with cold crreme anglaise. A great way to get nice slices from a terrine like this is dip your knife in very hot water between slices.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 19:54 #

Yes I was doing that at the start but the natives were restless and I couldn’t cut it fast enough!

32. Jason Phelps June 29, 2011 at 18:39 #

Exceptional improv! We had an eggplant (or aubergine) terrine in Provence earlier in the year that made me think about the style in a whole new way. And here I am turning around with it again.

Now I need some chocolate…

Jason

33. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 30, 2011 at 14:04 #

Ooh, just love this! I might have to make some dessert tonight now after reading this post. :)

34. Hester aka The Chef Doc July 3, 2011 at 02:50 #

This terrine is just bonkers! I love it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Round up - International Incident Terrine Party | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - July 7, 2011

[...] Mardi (Eat.Live.Travel.Write) Chocolate terrine [...]