French Fridays with Dorie: Warm weather vegetable pot au feu

I’m always excited when French Fridays with Dorie recipes are ones I might not have chosen to make myself. This week was Warm Weather Vegetable Pot-au-Feu (pp 378 – 379) – a lighter take on the traditional “meat and potatoes” hearty winter stew Pot-au-Feu that Dorie says has too many possibilities to ignore during the warmer months of the year.

With a base of broth (vegetable or chicken), which briefly cooks the onions, carrots, leeks and potatoes (in their young, pretty spring forms), this is a wonderful light yet hearty dish that is open to a myriad of possibilities depending on what vegetables you prefer and/ or are in season.  I stuck to Dorie’s recipe faithfully though, like many of her dishes, she tells us it’s merely a “jumping off point” so next time I will mix things up a little.

The broth is light and “zingy” with both lemon zest and lemongrass and even when served piping hot, it was refreshing – much like a hot bowl of noodle soup on a hot day can be.  I followed the 6 minute soft boiled egg method we used in Dorie’s bacon and eggs and asparagus salad a couple of weeks ago and they turned out perfectly…

As you can see, the yolk thickens the broth slightly (and turns it a gorgeous colour!), making it a meal rather than a simple soup.

As is often the case when we have guests over, I served this along with three other “blog food dishes” – a bit discombobulated but a delicious meal, nonetheless. Was a bit nervous with this one because I was serving it to Andrea and Jeff from HighLow FoodDrink (in town from New York for the weekend) but they apparently enjoyed it because she used some of the pictures in her Wordless Wednesday post this week! Phew!

I don’t often think of making soup in the summer but when the produce is inspiring at the farmers’ market, I can see this soup featuring a lot on my table even when it’s hot.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

60 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Warm weather vegetable pot au feu

1. Mr. Neil June 3, 2011 at 05:53 #

This was paired with a – gasp! – Californian Napa Chardonnay.

There’s a bit of a story as to why this particualr bottle “had” to be opened…but let’s just say it was not an entirely planned match.

I’d say the nice buttery notes of oak with some citrus highlights went well; but I would have preferred something with a little less time in wood, and a little less alcohol. (As often the case with California, a bit hot at 14%.) But for a slightly “in-your-face” New World style, the match was still very pleasant.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2011 at 06:01 #

Ahem, yes, the story being that I left a bottle of chard in the freezer overnight and then we had to let it thaw and drink it the next day whatever we were eating ;-) Actually on the original day I made this, we paired it with some lovely French-style (i.e. not Strongbow) cider. Perfect for a summer afternoon.

2. Belinda @zomppa June 3, 2011 at 07:10 #

So hot that this is perfect. Love the lemongrass and the perfect egg!

3. Liz June 3, 2011 at 07:37 #

Love the frozen wine story…sounds like something I would do…at least it was served nice and cold :) Beautiful photos, Mardi…even with the egg ;)

4. Sanjeeta kk June 3, 2011 at 08:57 #

This could fit in as any season meal! Love the freshness and colorful veggies in the pot.

5. Trix June 3, 2011 at 09:05 #

I loved this as well – so glad I participated this time and didn’t miss another chance to enjoy a runny egg!!! Your photos are magazine-lovely.

6. Mindy June 3, 2011 at 09:16 #

Goodness, this looks delicious.

7. Alicia June 3, 2011 at 10:52 #

This was the most yummy soup – and when I had it, paired with a pear cider. :-) What a lovely spring lunch sitting on your front porch, enjoying another delicious meal chez Mardi. The light flavour of lemon grass was a lovely compliment to the veggies, and although I was doubtful (being a bit egg-picky), the egg was a perfect ingredient and tasted great! Thanks Mardi.

8. Simply Life June 3, 2011 at 10:57 #

Oh I would love this any time of year!

9. Tricia S. June 3, 2011 at 11:56 #

Funny that my reaction going into this one was the opposite, in that I would not have tried the recipe if not for FFwD. Good thing I did. My family really enjoyed it and want it again. Nana loved her results as well but there was not a big surprise on that one :) And enjoyed your story about the frozen wine. Never a dull moment but it all sounds like great fun.

10. Jessica of My Baking Heart June 3, 2011 at 12:21 #

What a perfect starter. Gorgeous photos, too – sounds like a very successful dinner party. :)

11. Yuri June 3, 2011 at 14:43 #

I loved the “zing” added by the lemongrass and lime peel. Such a light and delicious veggie dish, love the bright color in yours :)

12. kitchenarian June 3, 2011 at 15:21 #

Thanks Mardi for the twitter encouragement I needed yesterday to go ahead and make the soup. I made it this morning, and just as you said, it was wonderful. Your pictures are great. Have a wonderful “French Friday”.

13. Paula June 3, 2011 at 16:19 #

I have to admit, when I saw the egg in the bowl I was a little surprised and intrigued. I’ve never had a soup served with a soft cooked egg in it before. Glad to read on and see that it was a lovely and tasteful dish and that you were both happy with it.

14. Frankly Entertaining June 3, 2011 at 16:59 #

I love your dishes! We loved this at my house. It’s something that I would actually make again!

15. Anne June 3, 2011 at 18:16 #

Beautiful plating with the blue and white dishes and napkin – such a nice contrast with the vegetables and rich egg yolk. I think I poached my egg a little too long, but next time will make sure it’s runny enough to enrich the broth like yours!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:57 #

Yes I made sure to time the egg so it WOULD have a runny yolk. 6 minutes seems to do the trick.

16. Lora @cakeduchess June 3, 2011 at 19:30 #

I also like to try a recipe from the book that I normally wouldn’t have chosen. I loved this soup too! Even though it’s super hot here, we will be having it throughout the summer. Yours looks wonderful!

17. Adriana June 3, 2011 at 20:10 #

Seeing everyone’s links makes me want to throw another batch together… it is yet another rainy night! Your bowl is so cute, especially against the wooden background.

18. Ginger g June 3, 2011 at 22:02 #

… And it won IACP award!!!

19. Helene June 4, 2011 at 10:48 #

I’m not sure I would have picked this one from the cookbook but looking at it you have inspired me to make it.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 5, 2011 at 20:56 #

No, neither was I – that’s what I love about these challenges…. Making me make dishes I wouldn’t choose otherwise…

20. Cher June 4, 2011 at 16:06 #

This was a rather lovely surprise.
    The dish you picked to serve the soup showed off the colors in the soup beautifully.

21. MikeVFMK June 4, 2011 at 16:44 #

I love any and all soup. This particular one looks so tasty and tempting. Love the ingredients and can only imagine how great the flavours are together. Another Dorie winner!

22. Brian @ A Thought For Food June 4, 2011 at 17:00 #

This looks so comforting! Though here in Big Sur, I could really use a big bowl of something warm.

23. Ethan June 5, 2011 at 00:35 #

Oh, when I saw the first picture, I was hoping it was a soft boiled egg! You didn’t let me down!

24. Kate@Diethood June 5, 2011 at 01:52 #

Wasn’t this a wonderful soup… I swear that egg made it that much better. I wish the rest of this household would have tried it with the egg.

Chard in the freezer…overnight. :)) I have done that way too many times.

25. working london mummy June 6, 2011 at 17:55 #

Wow Mardi love this. Not much Vegetarian options in French cuisine so this is special!

26. Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com June 6, 2011 at 22:12 #

Merci beaucoup Mardi! Your lunch was fab and this warm weather vegetable pot au feu was even more tasty than it looks (impossible as it may seem from your beautiful pics!) Jeff and I loved your runny poached egg, the crisp asparagus, and wonderfully complex flavor stemmed from seemingly simple vegetables. SO GOOD!

27. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 7, 2011 at 14:34 #

Lovely… The dish and the photos!

28. Jason Phelps June 10, 2011 at 11:18 #

I don’t think I have ever had anything like this before. It really does look delightful.

Jason

29. Alice September 2, 2011 at 17:41 #

I played catch up with this recipe and made it (not intentionally) during one of the hottest weeks we have had so far in England and loved it despite the heat. It was delicious and a great way to showcase spring veggies! And I HAD to have the egg on top….

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. the saturday soup – some summer soup link love Running With Tweezers - June 11, 2011

[...] warm weather veggie pot au feu over at eat.live.travel.write put a smile on my face – so hearty looking without being [...]