French Fridays with Dorie: Mozzarella, tomato and strawberry salad

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is exactly the sort of thing I look forward to eating more of when I head to Paris for a month next week.  When I lived there as a poor student (then a poor teacher, LOL!) I would often eat mozzarella and tomato salad for my dinner, washed down with a cold glass of rosé and with a hunk of baguette to mop up the delicious oil and vinegar.  Dorie brings my old standby to the next level by adding strawberries and mint for a wonderful combination of sweet and savoury that’s difficult to beat on a hot day.

We served this with our best olive oil and balsamic for a decedent treat. Not often do we bust out the “good stuff” but on a salad, you can really notice the better quality so it’s worth it.

With a hunk of baguette, it made a perfect meal last weekend when we had spent the day cleaning out the basement and had no energy left to cook dinner…

The following day, when our neighbours and Neil were planting our new ornamental grasses garden, I felt compelled to serve lunch (since I wasn’t helping – I have no green thumbs at all and everything I touch pretty much dies!).  I stacked the ingredients and made a little tomato, mozzarella and strawberry tower for a different presentation – proving that simple can be made elegant with not much trouble at all.

After a hard morning planting and digging, it was most appreciated.  By both the person preparing and the person enjoying it!

Edited to add: I was convinced this had mint in it but all around the FFWD participants this morning I saw basil, then I checked the book and see basil too. No matter, the mint worked well :)

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Congratulations to Renée from Kudos Kitchen who won a copy of the Peko Peko Charity Cookbook for Japan giveaway.

Renée, I will be in touch via email for your mailing address.

Don’t despair if you didn’t win though – you can purchase your copy here.

, ,

96 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Mozzarella, tomato and strawberry salad

1. Jessica @ How Sweet June 24, 2011 at 06:43 #

My mouth is absolutely watering just looking at this! I love tomato and mozzarella but then adding strawberries?! Fabulous.

2. th June 24, 2011 at 07:21 #

Strawberries tossed with balsamic reduction had become one of my new favorite things. This takes it to a whole different level, talk about mouth watering..

3. Mr. Neil June 24, 2011 at 07:37 #

Yes, a delightful treat to revive us drawers of water, hewers of wood…

A crisp rose would be brilliant, but as we were so dehydrated I opted for a Limonato instead. Mmmm.

4. Belinda @zomppa June 24, 2011 at 07:41 #

A work of art!

5. Cher June 24, 2011 at 07:47 #

Lovely composition. Enjoy your time in France! A salad like this would definitely help me get into the spirit of things.

6. Liz June 24, 2011 at 07:47 #

SO gorgeous, Mardi!!! Your plating is superb…

7. Renee - Kudos Kitchen June 24, 2011 at 08:21 #

First let me say…Woo Hoo!!! I really won the Peko Peko cookbook? Me? I never win anything! I’m so excited Mardi. Thank you so very much!!!
    Secondly, your presentation for the mozzarella, tomato and strawberry salad leaves me jealous. I wish I had thought to do the same thing (with the stacking). It looks perfect. Fine restaurant perfect! The flavors in this salad were so delicious. The addition of the strawberry added just a mild bit of sweet to compliment the balsamic and marry with the tomato. Your colors are clean and true on the plate. Mine got muddled and confusing looking. BTW,
    lucky you for heading back to Paris…you lucky girl! Oh great, now I’m jealous again! :)
    Thanks again for the cookbook Mardi. I can’t wait to get it!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 15:11 #

Yeah you see the plate I served myself, was also a bit muddled… That’s why I experimented with the stacks! And congrats :)

8. Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! June 24, 2011 at 08:36 #

Beautiful presentation and, yes, this salad deserves breaking out the expensive olive oil and balsamic. Paris for a month! Lucky girl.

9. Brian @ A Thought For Food June 24, 2011 at 09:11 #

What a stunning dish… This is the definition of summer here… I would also probably take out the good salts for this one.

10. sanya June 24, 2011 at 09:18 #

Gorgeous stack! Love the drops of balsamic, they look great and add a classy touch!

11. Kelly Senyei June 24, 2011 at 09:34 #

I absolutely love the addition of strawberries to this classic combo. And your photos are stunning!

12. amelia from z tasty life June 24, 2011 at 09:39 #

Mardi: fab fab fab presentation. I love how this brought 2 classics together in one, like lovers: fragole (strawberries) con aceto balsamico and insalata caprese!

13. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen June 24, 2011 at 09:45 #

The first photo of the stacked salad looks so awfully fresh, it literally pops off the screen! Gorgeous, Mardi. I too have un-green fingers and can’t nurture anything with roots. My mom says I have ‘warm hands’…I guess that goes with the warm heart. LOL.

Enjoy Paris! We want stories, pictures.

14. Marisa June 24, 2011 at 10:12 #

Such a pretty salad! Enjoy your trip.

15. Jill Colonna June 24, 2011 at 10:13 #

Mardi, this is a lovely post. Agree, this kind of salad is great when you don’t feel like cooking and look at that fabulous result. Bet it was super with the mint. Makes a superb refreshing change to the old tomates-mozza!

16. Dessert By Candy June 24, 2011 at 10:22 #

Mint? Of course there’s mint. That was how I made mine too! :D

Seriously, I was at the market and faced with the season’s first fresh local basil and mint. Guess which one I picked with the salad in mind? I have to agree mint was good!

Love the tower presentation with the elegant dots of balsamic.

17. Kate@Diethood June 24, 2011 at 10:48 #

I absolutely love love love your presentation!! Sooo pretty!

18. Karla June 24, 2011 at 10:55 #

Love the stacked presentation – and mint! That would have been lovely! Lucky duck, Paris for a MONTH?? That would be my dream summer! Can’t wait to see your posts from there!

19. Jessica of My Baking Heart June 24, 2011 at 11:05 #

Beautiful photos! You just made me drool with the description of those earlier meals of yours in Paris. Man, I want to go back so bad! :)

20. Jessica June 24, 2011 at 11:34 #

Beautiful dish! Especially with the strawberries – it’s perfect! With the balsamic drizzled over it… I would definitely love t o have this refreshing salad any day.

21. Mushrooms Canada June 24, 2011 at 11:41 #

This looks great!! I love me a big slab of mozzarella! :)
    - Brittany

22. Adriana June 24, 2011 at 11:43 #

Pretty! You were a complete artist with the carefully placed balsamic drops. This salad definitely called for using ‘the good stuff’ – with such simple ingredients, every one counts!

23. Dan June 24, 2011 at 12:53 #

That salad looks incredibly tasty!

24. Paula June 24, 2011 at 14:03 #

Beautiful salad, stunning presentation. I can’t think of anything better to go with a nice fresh baguette! And, you were so right to breakout the *good stuff* for this.

25. Nelly Rodriguez June 24, 2011 at 17:07 #

That salad is seriously gorgeous. Like SERIOUSLY. Love the colors and yei for Renee winning the book! Congrats and happy Friday Mardi!

26. kitchenarian June 24, 2011 at 17:24 #

What a beautiful interpretation of this recipe. The perfect thing to get you “ready” for Paris. :)

27. Kathy June 24, 2011 at 18:02 #

Your presentation is so lovely! Beautiful looking salad and very nice photos!

28. Lana June 24, 2011 at 20:56 #

Mardi, I cannot believe that you do not have a green thumb! You are such a sensitive soul and plants feel that:) Give it another try – maybe with herbs? Chives are pretty sturdy!
    I think that your intuition led you in the right direction – mint would definitely work in this salad, a bit more of a Greek influence, than French or Italian, but who cares?
    This was a great salad, and I enjoyed every morsel thoroughly.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 15:04 #

Herbs, I can do. Other plants, not so much :( An dyes, the mint works well, no matter where it comes from!

29. Betsy June 24, 2011 at 21:50 #

I love your stacked presentation, so elegant. I agree with Lana, an herb garden is a good way to develop a green thumb. Herbs are so forgiving. I think mint with strawberries is a great combo. I used lemon balm from my herb garden and it worked well with the salad flavors. This was a sweet surprise.

30. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 24, 2011 at 22:15 #

How pretty! What a great job with presentation you did here!

31. Happy When Not Hungry June 25, 2011 at 08:28 #

What a beautiful salad. Love the strawberries too!

32. April @ Girl Gone Gourmet June 25, 2011 at 10:16 #

I have to admit I’m trying to wrap my mind around this one and the post definitely caught my attention! You’ve piqued my curiosity and I think I need to try this! If the pictures are any indication I’m sure it’s amazing :)

33. Joy June 25, 2011 at 12:57 #

I would never think of use strawberries. Great idea.

34. Ann June 25, 2011 at 13:14 #

Caprese salad is one of my favorites! I have 25 year old Balsamic, but – believe it or not – I’ve actually had 100 year old balsamic!

It was at a really great restaurant and I was allergic to an ingredient in the salad dressing – so the chef broke out his personal stuff. I still dream of it!

The bottle had a waxed cork and he stood over me the entire time and whisked it right back after it was drizzled. Heaven, pure heaven!

Buzzed it – the photos are incredible!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 29, 2011 at 15:01 #

Oh my goodness – all that Balsamic sounds wonderful – no wonder the chef whisked it away quickly!

35. My Traveling Troop June 25, 2011 at 14:37 #

I’ve made mozzarella and tomato salad with basil in the past, but never thought to add strawberries and mint. Sounds delicious! I can’t wait to give it a try.

36. K A B L O O E Y June 25, 2011 at 21:34 #

This looks gorgeous and sounds so delicious. Basil or mint, I want to try both.

37. penny aka jeroxie June 26, 2011 at 09:28 #

Absolutely beautiful! I love this dish and the photo is so amazing

38. mygreatmenu June 26, 2011 at 17:34 #

Paris! I love Paris, so jealous. Have a great time.
    Your salad looks beautiful. Looks very fancy all stacked up.

39. Valerie June 26, 2011 at 18:09 #

That’s the first time i see this salad with strawberries, i like it a lot!

40. sneige June 27, 2011 at 05:12 #

Very interesting combination!
    Both tomato and strawberry are from the same family but I rarely seem them together, although they must taste divine!

41. Winnie June 27, 2011 at 08:03 #

Love this sweet twist on caprese- sounds lovely with both mint and basil. And gorgeous photos girl!

42. Rosa June 27, 2011 at 08:53 #

Delightful! That salad is really awesome and so fresh. Gorgeous clicks too.

Cheers,

Rosa

43. Shilpa June 27, 2011 at 11:34 #

What a pretty delight! summer’s flavours at its best…

-Shilpa

44. Yuri June 28, 2011 at 09:28 #

I love the plating of your salad, so professional!

45. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris June 28, 2011 at 15:33 #

That mozzarella-tomato napoleon looks beautiful !! Congrats!

46. Jason Phelps June 29, 2011 at 19:08 #

Love the addition of the strawberries! I wouldn’t have thought of it, but I can see how it would work so well.

Jason

47. mjskit July 15, 2011 at 21:56 #

Mardi – Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it for supper tonight and it was AWESOME! I never would have dreamed of putting strawberries with tomatoes in this salad, but it works great!

48. sugar Daze/Cat August 14, 2011 at 04:10 #

Mmm, currently on vacation in Italy and this sounds like an excellent way to spruce up all the mozzerella and tomato we’ve been eating!