French Fridays with Dorie: Cola and jam spareribs

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – Cola and Jam Spareribs (p 280) – was one I approached with some trepidation.  Firstly, the only ribs I *really* like are Dorie’s beef short ribs – pork spareribs are not my favourite – plus, Coke and apricot jam? Supposing that Dorie knows much more what she is talking about than I do, I dutifully marinaded the ribs in the jam, orange juice, lemon juice, five spice powder and ground ginger overnight.  The marinade ingredients alone sounded promising and it smelled pretty good when I was mixing it up.

For once I actually read the recipe the whole way through before I started (not something I am wont to do!), so I noted that the total baking time is about 2 hours (thanks Dorie for actually writing that in the recipe – when I am cooking, I don’t need that extra step of adding up all the separate cooking times..) and prepared them for a late lunch – actually with the Dorie’s warm weather pot-au-feu as the starter and a cherry clafoutis that I am posting on Sunday for the dessert…

Result?

Well I liked these quite a lot – for ribs, you understand.  The sweetness from the jam and cola and the lovely aromatics of the ginger and five spice worked really well together. Will I make them again? For myself, probably not. For a large gathering of friends? Yes.  Easy and flavourful and something a little different from barbecue ribs.

And yes, I ate mine with a knife and fork, à la française!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

57 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Cola and jam spareribs

1. Liz June 10, 2011 at 06:54 #

LOL, I’m glad you liked them a lot for “ribs.” My oldest has only liked one of my rib recipes…and this was not it. Hubby loved them though :) I had to throw some green on the plate to get a decent photo…you did a fabulous job for a plain plate of ribs~

2. Belinda @zomppa June 10, 2011 at 06:57 #

Who can resist ribs? Finger lickin’ ribs? Perfect picnic meal!

3. Mr. Neil June 10, 2011 at 08:28 #

I wouldn’t toss these aside, but they definitely would not be my first choice for ribs – but they are (relatively) thrifty, so I suppose that gives them added points.

If every there was a time for a jammy Shiraz from California or Australia, this is it.

Though personally, ribs are a perfect meal to wean yourself off of a wine fixation, and move onto beer. Stout is the classic pairing, though a deep ale works well too. These are a bit fruitier, so lend themself to a slightly lighter beer than stout quite well.

• Mr. Neil June 10, 2011 at 14:15 #

(Sorry, for the ‘Murricans here, thrifty = cheap.) ;-)

4. penny aka jeroxie June 10, 2011 at 09:15 #

oh wow! cola and jam… I want this recipe… BOO

5. Trix June 10, 2011 at 09:18 #

I love a good pork rib, but not all that sweetness so I went a different direction .. .surprise. My hat is off to you for using a knife and fork! I guess I am just a messy American ; p

6. Adriana June 10, 2011 at 09:28 #

I started eating mine a la française too but after a while ended up switching to my hands. Even though they were falling off the bone I couldn’t help myself. I agree these ribs would be great for a large gathering (down to the red checkered tablecloth).

7. Ethan June 10, 2011 at 09:44 #

If I had been over, I don’t think I would have been so proper with the knife and fork. Maybe if we had just met, but now, I think I can just dig in :)

• Melissa@EyesBigger June 11, 2011 at 00:15 #

Ha! Even though he is a big Seinfeld fan, Ethan still doesn’t subscribe to the “eating a Snickers with your knife & fork” school of thought!

They sound pretty tasty Mardi – I’d probably have sauce all down the front of my shirt!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 19, 2011 at 19:47 #

You’re welcome to “dig in” of course!

8. Kate@Diethood June 10, 2011 at 10:36 #

That plate looks soooo good! I wish I had some more ribs. I tried to eat them with a knife and fork, but I couldn’t resist… I had to finish them off the “American way”. :)) We loved them, and I can’t wait to prepare them for a group of friends.

9. Paula June 10, 2011 at 11:12 #

They do look good Mardi! I have a recipe for chicken using apricot jam and Russian Salad Dressing but I’ve never done it on the grill. This post makes me think I should try it.

10. Eileen June 10, 2011 at 11:36 #

I love the setup in your pics with the ribs on the red-and-white-checked tablecloth. It looks perfectly picnic-ey!

11. K A B L O O E Y June 10, 2011 at 11:56 #

I’m glad Neil weighed in, since you aren’t much of a “hunk o’ meat” person. The recipe sounded sweet to me, but tastes differ, of course. The 5 spice powder sounded intriguing, though.

12. lo June 10, 2011 at 12:17 #

They look delicious… but I’m just not warmed up to the idea of using Coca-cola in cooking. I don’t drink it, so why would I cook with it? :)

That said, I’m intrigued enough by the ginger and five-spice that I might make some concessions.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 19, 2011 at 19:46 #

Thanks – the cola never actually touches the meat though, no flavour imparted whatsoever…

13. Tammy Cannon June 10, 2011 at 12:23 #

Wow, I’ve read a lot of comments about this not being a favorite, so I think I will use the only ribs I have (beef short ribs) and forego the marinade overnight, brown, then roast. We’ll see how this turns out! They look really good though…I’m sure I would eat the whole lot (sans knife and fork)…

14. Kathy June 10, 2011 at 14:07 #

Beautiful ribs! Glad you enjoyed the them…I thought they were very good, too. I think I would spice it up just a bit more next time. Enjoyed your post!

15. Steph@stephsbitebybite June 10, 2011 at 14:45 #

Delish!!! And your placemat has got me craving a picnic!

16. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 10, 2011 at 17:50 #

Oh, I love ribs!! These look wonderful! All for spicing up any dish!

17. Monty June 10, 2011 at 19:07 #

Odd question, but what kind of knife is that in your picture? The ribs do look great as well, interesting combination.

18. foodie cravings June 11, 2011 at 09:09 #

Wow what a strange mix…looks good though and I love anything sweet!

19. Marla June 11, 2011 at 09:35 #

Such an interesting way to prepare ribs…they sound wonderful!

20. Cher June 11, 2011 at 13:00 #

Sorry you weren’t super crazy about them, but I thought you were able to get a pretty nice shot of a not-so-easy to photograph test subject!

21. Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini June 11, 2011 at 15:47 #

Your pictures are just lovely! We have a favorite rib recipe as well, so I went into this one with some skepticism, but all in all they weren’t too bad! Glad you enjoyed them : )

22. Lynn June 11, 2011 at 16:48 #

I’m not a huge fan of ribs either, by I’m really curious about using coke in the recipe. I might give this a try.

23. Candy June 11, 2011 at 21:24 #

Your ribs are gorgeous! I’m completely jealous of your beautiful photos – so French and American at the same time!

24. Sis Boom June 12, 2011 at 02:28 #

I can’t really imagine eating these with a fork and knife but then I couldn’t imagine cooking with a can of Coke either. I enjoyed them and will make them again but I have coke phobia still… something for me to work on I guess.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 19, 2011 at 19:42 #

I am not a Cola fan either – this kind of sort of convinced me it has potential for cooking…

25. Jason Phelps June 12, 2011 at 09:59 #

I was amazed at what cola did for some slow cooked pork I made last year. The addition of Five Spice here seems like a twist I will have to check out.

Jason

26. Lana June 12, 2011 at 22:37 #

I married a blue-blooded Southerner (he, he) and I was wondering what he would have thought of these ribs (I would have made them if my work schedule were not so crazy – I miss my FFwD crowd:)
    I like country ribs and short ribs, but spare ribs have to be extraordinary to win my approval.
    Nice photos of a not so photogenic meal:)

27. kitchenarian June 13, 2011 at 21:42 #

I did not make these this week; was caught up in work stuff. I didn’t regret it until I saw your ribs and read your post. Maybe I should have squeezed them in somewhere.

28. Erika - In Erika's Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 23:10 #

The ribs look delicious. I still haven’t been able to bring myself to cook with soda. Guess I’ll have to get over that sometime.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 19, 2011 at 19:41 #

It’s strange – the cola does not even touch the food – perhaps might have been better if it had…

29. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 15, 2011 at 10:53 #

Very interesting… I, myself, am not a big ribs fan. Sure, I’ll eat them on occasion, but I don’t typically go searching for recipes. And, I surely wouldn’t have tried one that called for cola… But, if you and Dorie think it’s a good recipe, who am I to argue? I bet my brother would love it… He’s the rib lover in the family!